Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-03-2016, 21:01   #1

I just found this incredible 86 C&C 35 might make an offer!

Hey all,

Hoping to get some perspective before I do something smart or stupid, depending on how you look at it. Recently moved to Vancouver from Toronto for more sailing, less ice and snow more wind and, well rain. Have been eyeing and obsessing over sailboats for 3+ years, and the idea of owning rather than sailing on other's boats has always been the goal. Hated racing (j24s) too much yelling, and loved cruising. Tranquility and slow deliberate moves is more my speed. But I'm still new at this.

So I finally narrowed it down to a boat with certain parameters: a 34-36 ft, with a Yanmar engine, want a coastal boat but one that could go far, 40k - 70k to spend. Spacious for a 6'1inch dude, got a head/shower, decent kitchen, storage, ventilation, heater. And more importantly a brand with history and seaworthiness. Fast and sturdy to out run storms and make quick decisions. And something that when I look at her gets my heart racing.

I started considering C&Cs and landed on a C&C 35 as a possible option. So fast-forward to today, I found one in Vancouver, went to see it and got that fuzzy feeling almost like this could be the boat. The deck wasn't soft, rigging looked great, interior meticulously looked after, engine clean, everything marked and labeled well by the owner, from hoses to wires, really detail oriented. No obviously leaks - was raining so a good time to check but had tarps so couldn't tell the full story. Overall no water marks, leak marks, dampness or water penetration. Except for the bilge which the broker told me is common (?).

So here's the rub. I generally don't act on the first thing I see but I recognize that gut instinct is usually a good measure of something. And after 3+ years of contemplation and research I feel like this could be the one. The price is right 40k, comes with a chart plodder and a bunch of other goodies, nothing overwhelmingly good but then I believe it's really about a sturdy well maintained boat/engine, etc. Downside? needs new sails, definitely a power wash, slightly dated interior (not a real issue) some touchups here and there, but I feel like the boat comes first, bells and whistles later and I could sail her away for a summer. Or two potentially.

So before I pull the trigger and embarrass myself, or act on instinct/impulse I figured I'd run it by some old/new salts around here to see what they think of the situation, whether I should go ahead with an offer, survey, sea trial etc. Or park my thoughts on ice and keep looking. Whatever. Don't hesitate with your warnings, anecdotes and jokes I'm humble and totally open to new thinking so it's all welcomed. And I'm sure many of you have been here before.

Cheers.
Offshore74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2016, 21:14   #2

Boat: Ohlson 29
Re: I just found this incredible 86 C&C 35 might make an offer!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Offshore74 View Post
what they think of the situation, whether I should go ahead with an offer, survey, sea trial etc. Or park my thoughts on ice and keep looking.
Based on what?

A C&C 35 can be a great boat, but since my crystal ball broke, there's no way to say anything about the one you're looking at. Might be all but sunk

Three years of looking for a boat is a long time ... don't think you need to fear acting too impulsively

I'm not even sure what exactly you're asking here? What "situation"?
Is there something special we need to know about, or are you simply asking us if you should actually buy a boat or just look for a few more years?
Old 23-03-2016, 21:18   #3

I used to do a lot of teaching on a similar boat and a similar era. I quite liked it. The windows used to leak somewhat;it is hard to get a good seal on a compound curve. The coach roof sheet stoppers were a pain. The jib sheet were led at an angle that waa conducive to overrides.

They are great boats for the era and the area.
jackdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2016, 21:20   #4

Ha, touche! Perhaps someone might say "for the love of god don't buy an 86 C&C!!!" I don't know. Posting for some perspective, appreciate yours I make decisions very slowly which is probably how I will end up sailing
Old 23-03-2016, 21:20   #5

This one?

Sailboats: 35' C&C Mk 111 Sloop - Listing #: 3410

Oops - says "sold"
jackdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2016, 21:24   #6

Quote:
Perhaps someone might say "for the love of god don't buy an 86 C&C!!!"
This is the internet ... all you have to do is wait

Have you done a search? Lots of opinions posted already in other threads.

Best advise I can give you: buy the boat YOU want, not a boat someone else tells you you need.
Old 23-03-2016, 21:27   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackdale View Post
Okay this is weird...I checked that marina today and didn't see that boat...why would two brokers be selling this? Is it a dud?
Old 23-03-2016, 21:30   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackdale View Post
How did you find this listing, is it the original listing? I know that marina doesn't remove pages once something sells. Could be the case, but that is definitely the boat...crazy!
Old 23-03-2016, 21:33   #9

Hang on ... you're asking if you should make an offer or not ... but you don't even know if the boat is still for sale?

As in, you haven't had a chance yet to go check her out and see her in real life?

That would be the first step ... Make an appointment and go see the boat.
Only after you've done a thorough check yourself can you consider making an offer and bring in a surveyor.
Old 23-03-2016, 21:37   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizzy Belle View Post
Hang on ... you're asking if you should make an offer or not ... but you don't even know if the boat is still for sale?

As in, you haven't had a chance yet to go check her out and see her in real life?

That would be the first step ... Make an appointment and go see the boat.
Only after you've done a thorough check yourself can you consider making an offer.
I've seen the boat in person, did a full on tour/inspection. It's weird that someone posted that listing, it's old I think. Previous owner. No, I'm not THAT impulsive saw it today. Totally different broker. I wrote that marina and asked when it sold, guessing previously like 2009? Will find out more info.
Old 23-03-2016, 21:41   #11

Oh, I see Sorry.

My boat is still listed as for sale on the brokers page - bought her over 2 yrs ago.
She'll still pop up on some for sale sites too.

Should I list her now, it might get confusing too
Old 23-03-2016, 21:44   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizzy Belle View Post
Oh, I see Sorry.

My boat is still listed as for sale on the brokers page - bought her over 2 yrs ago.
She'll still pop up on some for sale sites too.

Should I list her now, it might get confusing too
It's always a bit creepy finding a boat that's re-listed makes one wonder if something is wrong with it. Will see whether I'm as pumped about it tomorrow! It's a lot of fun hunting for the right boat. Cheers
Old 23-03-2016, 21:59   #13

Little older (1984) but just found this thread that gets into detail about another MKIII, and some watch-outs, clearly the windows leak in these boats periodically. 1984 c&c 35-3 - SailNet Community
Old 24-03-2016, 08:36   #14

Boat: Looking for my next boat!

Quote:
Okay this is weird...I checked that marina today and didn't see that boat...why would two brokers be selling this? Is it a dud?
When a broker doesn't have enough listings, they simply copy other broker's listings. If you contact them, they become the buyers agent, entitled to half the commission. To the brokers, its all about the money.

Don't bother with the brokers...thats the owner's problem. If you are speaking with the owner...speak with the owner.

I've owned 3 C&C yachts...all good. One was a 1982 model with those same glue on windows. They tend to pop off and/or leak. Have a good look. It could become a serious issue if they pop off offshore. If there's a problem, you'll be able to see a clue. Also, check the bulkhead near the chainplates for water damage...and check the deck near all fittings for water intrusion.

I've sailed the 35, and its a good sailing boat...suitable for tall people, and a ton of fun. I say...pull the trigger....go for it! Just be sure to get a thorough survey and sea trial.

And thanks for leaving me behind in Ontario...big ice/snow storm today...sailing is just a daydream today.
hamburking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2016, 08:45   #15

Boat: Ontario32

Once owned a C&C27 it was well built. However I have some friends with a Landfall 38 that spent some time (5years)in the Caribbean. They have kept their boat in pristine condition. SOMETHING to look for...check the installation of the fuel tank. Their ship had the tank installed across the beam behind the engine. The tank was foamed in right to the hull. The bottom of the tank perforated due to the foam holding moisture over the years. You cant see it until it happens. They had a v drive arrangement on the engine so need need to pull it but still a tough surprise this spring of 2015.
Crew of Turning is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
offer