Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 04-04-2013, 13:43   #1

Boat: Cal 2-27
I hate my stanchions! Should I remove?

Painting time is here. My Cal 2-27 is getting some makeup! Most people call it paint! I really hate the stanchions because they go through the deck. Right now, I am glassing over my through hulls because I don't like holes for water to get inside. I have stanchions that have 4 through bolts each. I don't like them. I want to remove them and make everything watertight with glass before painting, but can't bring myself to do it. I don't know why.

Can I get some pros and cons on leaving them off and making everything nice and smooth.

Old 04-04-2013, 13:49   #2

Boat: 1978 Pearson 26 One Design
Re: I hate my stanchions! Should I remove?

Pros-By removing the stanchions you wont have holes in the deck.
Cons-You wont have lifelines either.

PS. I don't have lifelines either.

Old 04-04-2013, 13:58   #3

Boat: Valiant 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatsail View Post
Painting time is here. My Cal 2-27 is getting some makeup! Most people call it paint! I really hate the stanchions because they go through the deck. Right now, I am glassing over my through hulls because I don't like holes for water to get inside. I have stanchions that have 4 through bolts each. I don't like them. I want to remove them and make everything watertight with glass before painting, but can't bring myself to do it. I don't know why.

Can I get some pros and cons on leaving them off and making everything nice and smooth.
You're in Baltimore so I'm going to bet you rarely get out of the Bay or if you do you stay close the coast. IMHO if you're not going out in real snotty weather then you can do without the lifelines, provided you exercise adequate caution with you and your crew. That said, if you only hate the stanhions because you are concerned about water intrusion there are several strategies you can pursue when they are off to make sure that it's not an issue if you put them back on until you're due for new paint (epoxying the sides of the through holes, new sealant, etc). The seals on properly installed deck hardware should outlast deck paint.
Old 04-04-2013, 14:05   #4
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Sure, go ahead and remove your stanchions and life lines. Enjoy the cleaner look of your boat as she sails away from you as you do the back stroke and wish you were back aboard.

No one likes the necessity of such things, and they are not a guarantee of staying aboard, but they do serve a useful purpose... don't leave home without 'em IMO.

Anecdote: a few years ago I encountered a professional delivery crew getting off of a boat they delivered from Sydney to Hobart. It was what is locally called a "gentlemans harbour racer" -- about 60 feet, very modern hull design with an open transom, beautiful cockpit with comfortable seating, all lines brought back to the cockpit under the deck level ... and no life lines or pulpits at all. I asked the skipper how he felt about this configuration, and this hard bitten pro said that it had been a fairly mild crossing of Bass Straights, and he had been terrified the entire time. Would never do such a delivery again!

I agree!

Cheers,

Jim
Old 04-04-2013, 15:01   #5
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Onceuponatime, boats didn't have lifelines. So by all means feel free to go commando.

Of course, if you really want to "do it right" then you drill a larger hole in the deck where each stanchion goes. Insert a fiberglass sleeve and build it up so the stanchion itself goes several inches below the deck, snug against the hull, surrounded by solid fiberglass and draining out the bottom, through a weep hole in the side of the hull.

Yes, there are boats that have been built that way, when price is no object and you want to do it right. No reason that you can't do it yourself, just do it before the paint job.

Or...properly rebed the stanchions after the paint dries.
Old 04-04-2013, 15:22   #6

Boat: 1989 50 ft Roberts

For my stanchions, I drilled oversized holes, poured them full of epoxy then drilled the correct size hole thru the epoxy and I made a gastet from Buna-N rubber and its never leaked.(its still on the hard in the shed though)
Old 04-04-2013, 15:53   #7
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: VandeStadt IOR 40' - Insatiable

As mentioned above, properly installed stanchions will not leak. Personally; I like the security of lifelines and decent fore and aft pulpits.
Old 04-04-2013, 16:06   #8
Don't ask if you can't handle it

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Hunter 410

almost all boat have stanchions, must be pros beyound the cons of the holes

you shouldn't be worried that much, afterall just how many does your boat have
Old 04-04-2013, 16:13   #9

Boat: Cal 2-27

Appreciate the pros and cons. I can't swim as fast as my boat, but do like the clean look and lack of holes in the deck where possible.

I do my sailing on the bay, but currently doing a refit to the entire boat. I will be leaving the bay and heading down to florida and bahamas this coming October. Plan is to leave my business behind (still have staff running things). I just had another friend have a heart attack yesterday and have seen the signs of this heart attack pace for to long. Planning on slowing down. Not retired, but business will let me take off a good 4-6 months a year if I want, so leaving the bay is on the list.

I planned on doing the oversize drill, fill with epoxy and redrill, but still when I grab hold and flex, cant help but see fiberglass flexing as all stanchions do. I like the "Insert a fiberglass sleeve and build it up so the stanchion itself goes several inches below the deck, snug against the hull, surrounded by solid fiberglass and draining out the bottom, through a weep hole in the side of the hull. ", but don't want to spend that much time on it right now. Will do that in a couple of years if I keep this boat for sure. I don't want to get into more projects than I already have. (and I have a lot, good think I love working on the boat).

I think I will keep them on! Sometimes I like to bounce an idea (look at my thread about kiwigrip on cabinsole!). Stupid idea, carpet better and already have one with rubberized bottom.

Appreciate the feedback and keeping me "on an even keel"! Thanks all for the contributions;-)
Old 04-04-2013, 16:17   #10
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: VandeStadt IOR 40' - Insatiable

We had a problem with a couple of our stanchions flexing the hull. We shaped a (marine) plywood pad (treated with timber preserver) which we glued (glue fibres and epoxy resin, with a little microballons to make it easier to work with) in under the deck, driectly under the stanchion. We faired the pad in with epoxy resin / microballons than laid a heavy layer of biaxial glass over the top, overlapping onto the hull by around 3" all around. We then re-drilled the stanchion holes, re-bedded in the stanchions (with a 1/16" stainless steel backing plate under the deck/pad/glass.... viola - no more flex.
Old 13-04-2013, 14:04   #11

Boat: Bristol 29(1967)

I just located some 1/2" and 5/8" heavy duty bungee cordage.

My stantions are already gone and I think I will use the bungee cordage over the cabin top to the shrouds.

If I have to replace them yearly, what the heck.
Old 14-04-2013, 07:47   #12

Boat: CAL 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by boatsail View Post
Appreciate the pros and cons. I can't swim as fast as my boat, but do like the clean look and lack of holes in the deck where possible.

I do my sailing on the bay, but currently doing a refit to the entire boat. I will be leaving the bay and heading down to florida and bahamas this coming October. Plan is to leave my business behind (still have staff running things). I just had another friend have a heart attack yesterday and have seen the signs of this heart attack pace for to long. Planning on slowing down. Not retired, but business will let me take off a good 4-6 months a year if I want, so leaving the bay is on the list.

I planned on doing the oversize drill, fill with epoxy and redrill, but still when I grab hold and flex, cant help but see fiberglass flexing as all stanchions do. I like the "Insert a fiberglass sleeve and build it up so the stanchion itself goes several inches below the deck, snug against the hull, surrounded by solid fiberglass and draining out the bottom, through a weep hole in the side of the hull. ", but don't want to spend that much time on it right now. Will do that in a couple of years if I keep this boat for sure. I don't want to get into more projects than I already have. (and I have a lot, good think I love working on the boat).

I think I will keep them on! Sometimes I like to bounce an idea (look at my thread about kiwigrip on cabinsole!). Stupid idea, carpet better and already have one with rubberized bottom.

Appreciate the feedback and keeping me "on an even keel"! Thanks all for the contributions;-)
I had a heart attack also working two jobs. The sailboat is the best thing I have done for my health. I changed jobs and now have free time to sail. My partner took over my accounts, is ten years younger and had two since I left. The water is so good for the soul, even on line talking it brings peace. Everyone make sure you spend time on your boats before there isn't any.
Old 04-05-2013, 13:05   #13

Boat: Catana 39

maybe a little late for the OP, but I removed my stanchions and was happy ever after. The lifelines were too low anyway and I'd rather not think I have them.
Old 05-05-2013, 09:12   #14

Boat: 17' Thistle and 13' Catboat

If you are attached to life and to quality of life, and you sure sound like you are, leave the stanchions and lifelines. The anxiety of having to go out onto deck without their protection, would give me a heart attack.
Old 05-05-2013, 09:15   #15
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Cruisers Forum Supporter

"The anxiety of having to go out onto deck"

And that's why some folks live in Indiana and stay on the farm. Where they are safe from the sea, and conveniently forget how many others are mangled by farm equipment instead.

Go figure.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: