Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-05-2013, 08:20   #16

Boat: Lagoon TPI 42
Re: I hate my stanchions! Should I remove?

if you trust most lifelines (a serious misnomer IMO) you should not go out on deck. A harness is what you need. If a lifeline does not reach your waist it's more of a tripline than anything else.

Remember, production boats only have them because of regulations for weekend boaters; not really to keep you on deck in a gale.
mifi601 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 08:51   #17

Boat: 1962 28' Pearson Triton

Quote:
Originally Posted by mifi601 View Post
Remember, production boats only have them because of regulations for weekend boaters...
Really? Can you provide a reference? I wasn't aware of any regulations that require boats used by "weekend boaters" to have stanchions and lifelines.
1962 Pearson Triton, #318
Triton318 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 09:00   #18

Boat: Lagoon TPI 42

of course it's not worded like that, but there are plenty of regulations out there, that sya you have to have lifelines, e.g. from the official Australian yachting site:

Boats shall be equipped with a system of lifelines and/or

guardrails designed to form an effectively continuous
barrier around a working deck and complying with the
requirements of this section with the aim of minimising
the risk of people falling overboar
d.
mifi601 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 09:12   #19

Boat: Junk rig Schooner

Quote:
Originally Posted by mifi601 View Post
...If a lifeline does not reach your waist it's more of a tripline than anything else.
True but lifelines can keep you from rolling overboard from a sitting or crawling position. In a knockdown situation they can be a lifesaver.
Capt Rottnest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 11:31   #20

Boat: 17' Thistle and 13' Catboat

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellosailor View Post
"The anxiety of having to go out onto deck"

And that's why some folks live in Indiana and stay on the farm. Where they are safe from the sea, and conveniently forget how many others are mangled by farm equipment instead.

Go figure.
Do not drink and write. When sober, you'll regret it.

I agree fully with the professional Aussie deliverer who would never again sail without the lifelines. I have been in similar situations. It is ridiculously unnecessarily dangerous. It has nothing to do with the normal risks involved with sailing - or with farming - that weigh up to the rewards of it.
htraudes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 15:25   #21
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

ht, are you commenting from personal experience, or simply failing to follow the forum's "be nice" rule for no reason?

I made a comment about relative and subjective perception of dangers, and you raise the issue of being drunk?

Lifelines were, for many years, not found on professional racing boats and were eventually installed only after various racing authorities implemented rules to require them, against the loud objections of the skippers and owners.

A normal risk of sailing is drowning. To be perfectly logical about safety, one only needs to avoid puttering around on boats on the sea, and one avoids that danger entirely. Going to sea without need? That's the danger. Lifelines? Mitigate a danger that can be totally avoided by staying on the farm.

Although of course, sailing without lifelines will still get you safely away from that farm equipment which makes farming one of the world's most dangerous occupations.

Have a pint, and stop to consider whether the mug is half empty, or half full.
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 17:13   #22
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: 1976 Sabre 28-2
Send a message via Yahoo to roverhi

Lifelines have kept me from going overboard so many times I can't count. Once in the middle of the Pacific when I was thousands of miles away from any chance of rescue. Even though the typical 24" lifeline is way below an optimum height, they will keep you on the boat in most cases. Put netting on them and they are great for keeping everything, including you, from falling in the ocean. Going without lifelines should easily make you eligible for a Darwin Award. Harness and jacklines are to make it easier for the wife to collect on the insurance and your estate.

If you are having leak problems, go to McMaster Carr and buy sheet fiberglass. It comes in a number of thicknesses, 1/4" should be adequate. Using the stanchion base as a pattern, cut pieces that are about a 1/2" to 1" larger than the stanchion base and glue it to the deck with thickened epoxy. Redrill the holes and reinstall the lifelines with Butyl sealant. Should take care of flexing and leak problems. If any of the pukas for the stanchion bolts go through cored deck. Rout out the core and fill with West 404 thickened epoxy resin. I use a Dremel 199 bit to rout out the core, fill the puka with epoxy resin and suck it out with a syringe then refill with thickened epoxy, grind flush and redrill the pukas for the fasteners.
roverhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 18:17   #23

Boat: crowther trimaran 33

safer to not have lifelines than ones that might fail.

I took mine off and couldn't be happier. No more stepping over them.
seandepagnier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 18:28   #24

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Quote:
Originally Posted by boat_alexandra View Post
safer to not have lifelines than ones that might fail.

I took mine off and couldn't be happier. No more stepping over them.
Automobile brakes sometimes fail. I guess that it would be safer to not have them because of this "cause you wouldn't be depending on a fallible system.

For me, your argument fails the reality test.

Cheers,

Jim

PS I glad that you are happy... I wouldn't be!
Old 05-05-2013, 18:58   #25

Boat: crowther trimaran 33

if your boat is metal (for ground), you should keep the lifelines so you can install electric-fence life lines.
seandepagnier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 19:25   #26

All of my Cape Dory's stanchions have SS backing plates and will bend and break before the deck ever moves. Take them off, drill over size holes, fill with epoxy, re-drill and install with a backing plates. And if they are single lifeline types, replace with double 30".

my $.02 only. Do what you feel is right for YOU..

Cape Dory 25D Seraph
rtbates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 17:43   #27

Boat: Hunter 27
I have been going out on mine and had to redo mine. I have sailed with and,without them.
When we,had a few experience d guys on board it was cool without them. The,sails were hanging up on them when tacking. Most the boats like mine do not have them that race.
I fixed mine and put them back on. I,worked a week on them boat,and it was a pain loading stuff on the boat . When I took,my kids out and spent the night on the boat I loved them. As,far as going up changing sails etc I use the shrouds for stability.
The big question is what are yiu doing with the boat. Racing a smooth deck rocks cruising an extra second tacking doea not matter. I cruise nostky and will do some racing on thursdays. I can pull rhem of in minutes if it,was that close but I am leaving mine up for now. I have had a couple of good gusts and it was a good feeling knowing they were there even if not used. Plus I,think they make the boat look cool.
campuscab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 19:13   #28

Boat: Bombay PH 31

cant find the darn pic i was looking for!
The one of my boy(then 11) with a HUGE bruise on his lower chest from hitting life line after being tossed from other side of boat.
If that life line wasn't there.....
Old 08-05-2013, 19:45   #29

Boat: Devlin 48 Moon River & Marshal Catboat

Get rid of them. On a small boat that does not race with rail meat hanging on they are in the way. They will never guaranty your safety. crawl or clip on to deck lines much safer than counting on stanchions and lines of questionable strength. On a small boat around docks life is much better without. I have been single handing 20-44 footers for over 50 years and my present 32 footer has no stanchions. there are high high test lines flat on the deck fixed to strong points P&S. If its choppy and I have to go forward I crawl out if its bad I clip on. Its best if you rig your boat so you don't have to go forward at all and almost all boats can be so rigged.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	BJ (1).JPG
Views:	197
Size:	143.3 KB
ID:	60560  
eyschulman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 21:33   #30

Boat: M/V Carquinez Coot

I love mine.

High, strong railings (plus six adults supervising) made boating with four children on deck much less nerve racking. The three oldest kids will likely remember the voyage for a lifetime. (May 4 observation of the Vallejo yacht race on San Pablo Bay):

markpierce is offline   Reply With Quote