Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-07-2015, 21:01   #1

Boat: Irwin 30
Send a message via Skype™ to mrlee
I got a leak

Hi all, I finally got my boat down to me only to find that is has a slow steady leak! The bilge pump runs once per minute or so. We checked all the seacocks and thru hulls etc. It is running back from the bulkhead. All toilet thru hulls and hoses are fine and it's totally dry under the front water tank too. You can first see the water where you remove the floor board in front of the toilet...and all the way back to the bilge pump.
It is a 1977 Irwin 30 that a guy (I will not mention here) removed the compression post to fix some shoddy fiberglass work to repair this problem in Kemah. Well, he obviously did not fix it, When the center floorboard is removed all we see is fibergless that he installed.It goes from one side to the other. I cut the floorboards on each side to see what was there...nothing.
Does anyone have an original Irwin 30 who can send me a picture of the bilge under the long center floor board? Where are the keel bolts(it's a centerboard boat)? I cannot see anything with all the fiberglass they have added...
I'll try to add pix tomorrow...
Any suggestions as to fixing this? Can I fiberglass the keel to the hull to remedy this?
I am going nuts with this! Thanks in advance...
mrlee is offline   Reply With Quote