Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-08-2019, 19:06   #1

Boat: 1967 Alberg 30
I bought a boat... Finally!

After hanging around here for the past 2 years, asking a lot of random questions, I finally bought my first boat!

Its an 1967 Alberg 30, located in Annapolis! Now, all Ive gotta do is learn to sail! Lol

Thanks to all who helped me, giving me sound advice and helpng me narrow my search..

-Harrison
WingRyder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2019, 19:45   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422
Re: I bought a boat... Finally!

Congratulations. Your data says you live in Orlando? Planning to learn to sail on the way south?

Where you going to keep the boat?
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2019, 19:53   #3

No, im keeping it here through the winter, will probably sail south after Next hurricane season. I left my apartment behind in April. I have been looking for boats since then. I can live anywhere really.

I will be moving aboard in a few weeks. I have all my stuff n storage in orlando. I have to relocate it to maryland
Old 04-08-2019, 19:59   #4

Boat: Tartan 28

Are you planning on living on it in the winter in MD ?
zemurray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2019, 20:14   #5

No i am putting it on the hard. Stay with friends til spring and do some interior work.
Old 04-08-2019, 22:25   #6

Boat: William Garden 28’ Gaffer

Congratulations!

Break
Out
Another
Tool

ScottMeilicke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2019, 01:49   #7

What a gorgeous boat. You'll find they sail beautifully (not so great at manouvreing under power, but hey! It's a **sailboat**)

We have a famous circumnavigator up here, Yves Gellinas, who circumnavigated the "wrong way around" in his Alberg 30 - and is still sailing the same boat. Heard him speak at this year's Toronto International Boat Show in January and he's amazing.

Here's a link to a pertinent article on his website:
Forty Years later, I Would Still Choose an Alberg 30 – CapHorn – Régulateur d’allure intégré

Fair winds to you and your new sweetheart! What are you going to name her / what is her name?
Warmly,
LittleWing
LittleWing77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2019, 07:29   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleWing77 View Post
What a gorgeous boat. You'll find they sail beautifully (not so great at manouvreing under power, but hey! It's a **sailboat**)

We have a famous circumnavigator up here, Yves Gellinas, who circumnavigated the "wrong way around" in his Alberg 30 - and is still sailing the same boat. Heard him speak at this year's Toronto International Boat Show in January and he's amazing.

Here's a link to a pertinent article on his website:
Forty Years later, I Would Still Choose an Alberg 30 – CapHorn – Régulateur d’allure intégré

Fair winds to you and your new sweetheart! What are you going to name her / what is her name?
Warmly,
LittleWing
I have seen Yves’ interview on YouTube... but I have been unable to find the documentary he made about his solo voyage however.

I have been out sailing a few times with the previous owner ( a very nice man... and part of the reason I bought the boat). I had never been on an A30 before, and I was pleasantly surprised by the handling and forgiving nature of this boat.

Boat has been raced regularly in the A30org races, the owner has naturally focused his efforts on the structural integrity, but it does need a bit of cosmetic work below... projects that I look forward to frankly.

It was exactly what I was looking for, a boat with good bones, sailed regularly but may need some cosmetic work, that can be done at my leisure.
Old 05-08-2019, 12:12   #9

Boat: Freedom 32

Congrats on your new

B reak
O ut
A nother
T housand
Old 05-08-2019, 16:23   #10

Boat: Shannon 38

you have chosen an excellent oat built at a time when builders did not scrimp on materials or hand workmanship. Enjoy the hell out of her!
Joyful Noise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2019, 08:05   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joyful Noise View Post
you have chosen an excellent oat built at a time when builders did not scrimp on materials or hand workmanship. Enjoy the hell out of her!
Thanks. The previous owner and I are taking her sailing this afternoon. He is teaching me the boat over the course of a few sails together. I love the boat!
Old 08-08-2019, 06:30   #12

Boat: Shannon 38

how was the sail? What did you learn? Does it still have an atomic four or hs there been a refit?
Joyful Noise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2019, 18:25   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joyful Noise View Post
how was the sail? What did you learn? Does it still have an atomic four or hs there been a refit?
The sail was awesome! A member of the A30 org helped me relocate her to a new marina (approx 20 miles), a few days ago... and he helped me dock! I am building a little confidence in myself... I love the boat, and the way she sails.

Today, I had to move her to a new slip... solo! My first experience on a boat by myself. I sucked it up, overcame my fear, and fired up the engine... I tried to prep the new slip as best I could, by putting on some docklines, that I could boat hook quickly... it didnt help much... I missed catching up-stream stern pillar, so I had no way of keeping the boat from being pulled forward as I tied the bowlines. I was able to use the mid piling to run a line to the stern to stabilize the boat. .... all this happened way faster than I was prepared for... the river current is fairly mild, but it was enough to push the boat out of position pretty quickly... long story short, I got her tied down and secure. Spent another hour adjusting lines, running spring lines and trying to let the nervous energy leave my body.

So that is my first solo yachting experience...lol. I didnt crash, sink or die... so I call that a reasonable success. I have a LOT to learn. First lesson... A30’s dont reverse gracefully. At least I havent learned her secrets, yet.

Edit: The boat has been refit with a Yanmar 2GMF. Engine is in good shape, with low hours since it was rebuilt.
Old 10-08-2019, 18:50   #14

Boat: McCurdy & Rhodes Custom 46

I remember a solo race (after 30 + years experience) where my goals were don’t have a collision, don’t run aground, and don’t suck. I was about 40th of 120 boats. I was thrilled.
You didn’t crash, sink, or die.
That’s a fantastic start and I hope you are thrilled.
Keep going!!!!
dfelsent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2019, 19:36   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfelsent View Post
I remember a solo race (after 30 + years experience) where my goals were don’t have a collision, don’t run aground, and don’t suck. I was about 40th of 120 boats. I was thrilled.
You didn’t crash, sink, or die.
That’s a fantastic start and I hope you are thrilled.
Keep going!!!!
Thanks for the encouragement. I am thrilled... well mostly. I am used to mastering new skills fairly quickly, and sailing doesn’t reward you like that! There are so many elements to learn. I have read, watched and lurked for a couple of years now, trying to reduce the things I don't know that I dont know. But there is no substitute for experience. No short cuts in this skillset. Mad respect to all of you experienced boaters!

Today, Docking the boat in a side current, was a humbling. I definitely didnt come away from it with a sense of “oh yea! I got this.” It was more like “Holy S#!t, that was way more difficult than I thought.” Lol.

I am fairly sure that I will be more comfortable, out in open water playing around, but I have GOT to get this docking thing mastered first. I dont want my future sailing frought with dread of returning the boat back to my slip! If I had a deck hand, It would have been no problem. But solo, first time? Well everything happens at once...

Tags
boat