Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-03-2014, 10:18   #1

Boat: Santana 35
I am back...with a Santana!

The last couple of weeks have been a bit stressful but the deed is done, I am living on a boat. I'd like to thank all the great members of this forum for assisting me with my decision, even if you did not actively answer my questions I most likely read your comments in an older thread. This forum has been irreplaceable as a source of knowledge to me so once again thanks! I've read about the amount of people that come here with 'a dream' but never seem to follow up so here I am, following up.

So the boat is a '79 Santana 35 not in pristine condition but, as far as I know, structurally sound. While I put things like hull integrity, rigging condition and bottom condition on top of my list I let quite a few things slide so it is a project and you will likely see me in different parts of the forum over the next few month (years?) picking the 'collective brain' of the forum.
shellphish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2014, 10:27   #2

Boat: Tanzer 26, Walk22
Re: I am back...with a Santana!

Congrats, pics..
Old 05-03-2014, 10:30   #3

Sorry no pics yet, I'll snap some tomorrow after work.
Old 05-03-2014, 10:42   #4

Cool, fast boat if I remember right...

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2014, 11:03   #5

Boat: 15 foot Canoe

Congratulations for sure. How much work needs to be done and is it sailable?
Old 05-03-2014, 12:14   #6

Yes the hull is pretty much a racing one with a fin keel and spade rudder, not the ideal boat for blue water but I don't have enough experience to go far right now anyway.

She is ready to sail, and I have gone on a test sail prior to making the decision, however a lot of the living amenities have been neglected because it was only used for day sailing. The head and the galley need some attention, most of the cushions are missing, I'm going to have new cabin sole cnced at work (the original is soft and delaminating) and I definately need a dehumidifier. The list will no doubt be long but manageable.
Old 05-03-2014, 13:44   #7

Boat: Morgan Moorings 50

Congrats. Looking forward to seeing some photos.
DDabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2014, 07:10   #8

Couldnt upload the photo yesterday because i have to use my phone in the marina, their wifi is horrid.

But here she is! I'm still cleaning up the interior, right now there are like 5-8 sails taking up all the seats which have no cushions so its messy and bare.

ps i edited out the reg number because I'm used to blurring out LP numbers on vehicles, don't know if its necessary but better safe then sorry.
Old 07-03-2014, 07:18   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya

'beautiful boat! So, what's the "CF" on the bow? 'some tribute to the Crusiers Forum? You have a great place on the SF Bay. Are you at the Brisbane City Marina? We are looking forward to hearing more of your boat and adventures!
Old 07-03-2014, 08:51   #10

I love the look of those older racing hulls. Those decks are pretty easy to get around on too.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2014, 09:21   #11

I'm not sure if it's a California/US thing but every boat I've seen here has an ID number that starts with CF, like I said I'm not comfortable with showing it because Im used to blurring out license plates in pics so I blurred the actual number out. She's berthed in Brisbane which has great access to the bay, unfortunately according to the previous owner some dredging is needed because its possible to drag muck with the keel if the tide is out.

I really like the hull style too, it has a transom that angles toward the bow and the deck is really easy to get around like you said. The boat is less stable and heels quite a bit so I'm not sure if it will fair well out of the bay
Old 07-03-2014, 12:17   #12

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Quote:
Originally Posted by shellphish View Post
I'm not sure if it's a California/US thing but every boat I've seen here has an ID number that starts with CF, like I said I'm not comfortable with showing it because Im used to blurring out license plates in pics so I blurred the actual number out. She's berthed in Brisbane which has great access to the bay, unfortunately according to the previous owner some dredging is needed because its possible to drag muck with the keel if the tide is out.

I really like the hull style too, it has a transom that angles toward the bow and the deck is really easy to get around like you said. The boat is less stable and heels quite a bit so I'm not sure if it will fair well out of the bay
FWIW, people used to race them in the ocean, out to the Light Bucket; down to Half Moon Bay, and Santa Cruz; north to Drake's Bay.

I'm concerned that you think you need a dehumidifier. We kept boats in the Bay Area for years and did not find the humidity excessive. I'm wondering whether you have a hull to deck joint leak, or some other source of salty water below. If it is just from the sails, a fresh water wash and air dry for them and their bags, will help, but you'll want to wash whatever you can get at to get rid of the salt before you do the new cushions.

By the way, cushions are really easy to learn to cover, if you have a mind to do a sewing project.

Enjoy your new boat.

Ann
Old 07-03-2014, 13:26   #13

Good to know Ann! I have aspirations to take it to SoCal and have heard that pt.conception is the roughest sail but maybe if I pick a good weather window we can power through. I've also heard its tough to come back up north due to wind patterns, but I'll do more research when actually planning the journey.

After spending a few nights on the boat and cleaning out the bilge (had standing water because the bilge pump hose didn't reach) the humidity is manageable, I'm probably just not used to living so close to the bay. I will be doing sail inventory today and will give them a good rinse and sun dry. When I was moving them around they felt damp which doesn't surprise me since it was a day sailor and the owner just bagged them and locked them in the cabin for weeks afterwards.

I have access to professional grade sewing machines at my shop so I will definitely try to tackle the lack of cushions problem on my own.
Old 09-03-2014, 06:51   #14

Boat: Tayana 37

Shellphis, the CF in your registration stands for California. All California registered vessels have numbers starting with CF. No clue why they don't use CA, but that's what it is. Congrats on the new boat BTW.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Kevin84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2014, 07:09   #15
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin84 View Post
................... All California registered vessels have numbers starting with CF. No clue why they don't use CA, but that's what it is. ................
Had it been CA, I would have recognized it as the state registration right away. I didn't know they used CF, but I'm far from California.

Anyway, back to the Santana! Keep us posted of your adventures!