Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-01-2014, 06:10   #1

Boat: Little Harbor 53'
Hylas 49 - Any owners or folks that have first hand knowledge out there?

We have recently sold our J Boat J100 and are looking at a couple of available Hylas 49s on the market.

We narrowed our sights based on the S&S design, 3 stateroom layout and quality construction for a semi-custom boat. Other considerations were the Tartan and a larger J Boat but after spending 3 months sailing around New England with a 9, 7 and 1 year old we are opting for comfort THEN speed and the Hylas seems to really capture both of these capabilities well.

We looked briefly at a 55 'Lyman Morse (Maine Lady) but the price was a bit out of reach and frankly i think the ability to sail short handed would stretch even our most optimistic abilities. And I'm sure the upkeep would be extremely costly to keep her in bristol condition as she'd deserve.

The Hylas 47s also seem to be a decent option but the tweaks that were made to the 49 seem worth the added bump in cost. Hylas 49: The Other Hylas

We would certainly welcome any insights. Even though it is a balmy -9 F here in VT we are actively searching so we are ready to hit the water with a splash this summer.

Thanks!!

-Jonathan
Jbingham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2014, 06:36   #2

Re: Hylas 49 - Any owners or folks that have first hand knowledge out there?

Very nice boat, love the lines for a CC, good old S&S. These boats used, trade at well over $300 grand and you could buy a larger brand new production boat for the same money. Why buy used when you can buy new?
robert sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2014, 07:09   #3

Because some would get more enjoyment and pleasure and comfort from driving a well maintained used Lexus than a brand new Chevy. There is more to the equation than just new car smell.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
gaspass3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2014, 07:13   #4

Boat: Caliber 40LRC

Quote:
Originally Posted by robert sailor View Post
Very nice boat, love the lines for a CC, good old S&S. These boats used, trade at well over $300 grand and you could buy a larger brand new production boat for the same money. Why buy used when you can buy new?
Have you ever bought a new boat? They have lots of issues and can be just as demanding as used boats. A late model used boat will have all those kinks worked out for you and you get the benefit of saving some dough.
TKR on a Boat Website
Tim R. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2014, 08:13   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim R. View Post
Have you ever bought a new boat? They have lots of issues and can be just as demanding as used boats. A late model used boat will have all those kinks worked out for you and you get the benefit of saving some dough.
If I had to use one word it's VALUE. I bought my J100 7 years old. All electronics were updated. New rigging. Sailed her every day. Sold her and MADE 1k. New boats lose 20-30% of value as soon as you drop them in the water! So totally agree.

If I had a second word it's ISSUES!! Tim nailed this one. I have countless friends that have spent their first and second years getting issues resolved.

In general I cross off the list the beneteaus and the like. Just look on yacht world and you'll find hundreds listed. Try selling one of those!!!
Old 21-01-2014, 08:29   #6

Boat: Stevens 47 Komaru

I like the 49s. The cockpit setup is superior to the 47. I do like the galley setup with the ability to get to the aft cabin thru both head and galley on the 47s. On the 492 it seems like most of the ones that I have seen have in mast furling which I am not keen on. Have never sailed a 49 but love the 47.

Jack
Stevens 47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2014, 09:11   #7

I have a friend who circumnavigated on a Stevens 50 which I think is/was a cousin to the Hylas 49. Wonderful boat that sailed extremely well offshore and was eye friendly as well. Seems like a really good choice for a family to sail offshore. I completely understand why you would buy an older boat with a pedigree and make it yours but I think many on this forum think its not a great decision and would rather buy a new Bendy toy or similar, hence my question. Good answers to I might add. Good luck in shopping, its really hard to find a really clean well maintained boat.
Old 21-01-2014, 10:33   #8

Boat: Hylas 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevens 47 View Post
I like the 49s. The cockpit setup is superior to the 47. I do like the galley setup with the ability to get to the aft cabin thru both head and galley on the 47s. On the 492 it seems like most of the ones that I have seen have in mast furling which I am not keen on. Have never sailed a 49 but love the 47.

Jack
+1!
Love my Hylas 47, but on those occasions when I fantasize about winning the lotto, I imagine trading it in for an almost new, perfect condition, cruise-ready Hylas 49, and setting sail around the world.
john540 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2014, 12:26   #9

Boat: Hylas 54

We absolutely love our Hylas 54. We looked at a 49 also, but my wife and I are over 6' and found that it was difficult to take a shower standing up. But she's fantastic to sail, fast, easy for the 2 of us and incredibly comfortable.
Old 22-01-2014, 12:34   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by nesscapade View Post
We absolutely love our Hylas 54. We looked at a 49 also, but my wife and I are over 6' and found that it was difficult to take a shower standing up. But she's fantastic to sail, fast, easy for the 2 of us and incredibly comfortable.
Thank you for the input. We are combing through yachtworld like I'm guess all of us do haha. A beauty in Seattle area but about 40k to get to us on the east coast... Love to know if any of the east coast boats jump out at anyone? North or south not an issue!
Old 22-01-2014, 12:53   #11

Boat: Tayana 37

Why not sail her home?

Sent from my HTC6500LVW using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Kevin84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2014, 12:54   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin84 View Post
Why not sail her home?

Sent from my HTC6500LVW using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Don't think I wasn't up looking at charts all night! Especially since I have an office in San Jose Costa Rica!
Old 23-01-2014, 09:45   #13

Taking a look at two listed in Ft Lauderdale in mid Feb. Just checked out one in Newport this morning. Love the layout. Though the one in Newport had teak decks (no thanks!) and a washer dryer under the guest bunk. Though in theory having a washer dryer sounds appealing, you lose one of the bunks. Id rather have both bunks!! I did like the layout of the boat otherwise. This model also has the walkthrough from the master through the bath to the nav station. Very nice feature when someone is chefing it up in the galley!

We also took a peak at a beautiful 1985 little harbor 53 that used to be Ted Hoods actual boat. Odd sleeping layout though. The V berth was small and set up as a captain bunk/tool closet, port and starboard bunk beds (that was very COOL) a great galley and salon area (with a wet bar I might add!) but a very odd configuration in the aft master. A twin/full bed on the starboard side and a twin on the port side. Again in theory makes sense for long open ocean cruising heeling from one tack to the other, but it would need to be converted to a queen.

In the end, the appeal of a Hylas that is 5-10 years newer was strengthened by this comparison. If i was retired though and had the time, that Little Harbor would be a sweet boat!!

Little Harbor 53 for sale

Excited to get to Ft. Lauderdale. :-)
Old 23-01-2014, 09:57   #14

Sometimes the sizzle is almost as good as the steak. Nothing more fun and exciting than shopping for a sailboat...have fun!
Old 16-03-2014, 05:16   #15

After much debate and some advice from several trusted friends we are putting an offer in this week on the 53' little harbor. Bank is already on board with the loan. I really hope we can get the seller in line with our budget. She's such a beauty!!

Tags
Hylas