Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-08-2006, 22:41   #1

Boat: Passport 51 - Matsu
Hylas 44

Interested in peoples views on a Hylas 44 as a world cruiser. Look great in the photos but none over here in Oz to look at properly and we all know broker photos!

In particular sailing abilities, storage both lockers on deck and interior cupboards etc, any particular problems with them, quality of systems etc..

Thanks
SydneyTim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2006, 14:15   #2
cruiser

I've been aboard the 44 and seen it actively cruising in the Carib, after coming down from British Columbia in Canada. The boat held up perfectly, and the owners had a lot of faith in it as a world cruiser. It is a decent sailer, seems to have a reasonable amount of space for storing provisions, etc... and the quality seems higher than normal. You pay for that though.

So how many people will be cruising in it? Just 2? Because you'll find more storage than you could ever imagine since there are 2 staterooms!
ssullivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2006, 05:53   #3

Location: Ft. Lauderdale, FL currently CLODs [cruisers living on dirt]
All of the Hylas boats will be fine for the stated purpose, the 44 - 46 are all the same basic hull with some updates, the 47 - 49 same comment. 44-46 is a Frers design the 47-49 and S&S one. In fact there are two Stevens 47s [same as a Hylas] here at the SSCA GAM both have been cruised extensively.
Jon D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2006, 18:41   #4

Hylas 44

Just the two of us cruising, but we like scuba diving, have a couple of folding bikes and are generally the sort of people who have way too much stuff on board so great to hear there is lot's of storage.

We are also hoping to have friends join us for a week every now and again so a good second stateroom is a plus. Also we find when it gets really hot in the tropics, the forward cabin is much cooler as you can get a great breeze through.

Thanks for the info we will be selling our current boat here and heading over to yacht hunt in Spring 2007, busy saving pennies at the moment after 2 years cruising Oz

Tim
Old 05-08-2006, 20:50   #5
Senior Cruiser

Boat: 1980 Endeavour 43 (Ketch)
Have raced aboard the Hylas 44 that is for sale in our harbor. The boat is in cherry condition - VERY well maintained. Don't know what year it is but it isn't too old - however, the couple that owned and cruised it (coastal only) are getting a bit on, and have bought a 'land yacht'. If you are interested, I'm sure if you do a search for one in this harbor, it will come up.

Cheers, and good choice!
S/V Elusive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2006, 16:00   #6
cruiser

Hylas

Boats with such wide sterns and unbalanced ends tend to be severely lacking in directional stability, and tend to broach uncontrolably in a big quartering sea. They tend to be extremely hard to get to self steer With such boats is is often impossible to leave the helm for more than a few seconds before such wide assed boats sheer off course. They can be extremel;y hard on autopilots and demand a lot of power for the autopilot. I'd suggest you try one in big following seas first, possibly by chartering one, before buying one.
Brent
Brent Swain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2006, 21:02   #7

Boat: Sceptre 41
Brent,
Are you having a bad day? A while ago, you jumped into a thread about Sceptre 41's with second hand negative comments. Now you are slamming Hylas's with nautical disinformation.
Your comments about wide sterns and unbalanced ends suggest a sort of "Rush Limbaugh" approach to nautical reality. The behaviour of a boat in a seaway is much more complicated than the shape of the ends. As an example, the open class 60's (and really, all the around the world racers, whether designed for singlehanded races or crewed races) can be characterized by extremely wide sterns and unbalanced ends. The singlehanded racers are steered by an autopilot for months. If you read the comments of the skippers, there were no complaints about control, even at speeds well above those which we more mundane mortals normally see.
I would have to characterize the Hylas models that I have seen as conservative and seaworthy. While they are progressive, they are not on the cutting edge. The designs of German Frers are particularly appealling.

But I do agree with your advice to try the boat in big following seas before purchase if one is inclined to sail far from protected waters. That applies to all boats, not just Hylas
Richard Black
Quijote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2006, 01:43   #8
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
I don’t think Brent was slamming the Hylas; merely pointing out tendencies* of a particular characteristic (wide sterns) - though I might not characterize the Hylas 44 as particularly “wide sterned” nor “unbalanced”.

*He used the word “tends” three times, and “often” and “can be” once each, then concluded with the conventional advice to “test drive” - hardly what I’d call overly judgmental)

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2006, 17:46   #9
cruiser

Agreeing with Gord, I would also not lump the Hylas into a category of "wide-sterned" boats.

They are very similar in shape to the boat I currently have, actually.
ssullivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2006, 02:18   #10

Thanks for the help guys, as an aside I certainly wouldn't dream of buying a boat without sailing it upwind, downwind and reaching in as strong a wind as I can get with a big sea. But it amazes me how many people don't do that!
Old 24-03-2010, 09:45   #11

Boat: Rhodes 32
The best resource for information about the 44 is John Kretschmer's excellent Sailing Magazine review: Sailing Magazine | Hylas 44.

As to SydneyTim's specific concerns:

1. The 44's sailing performance is her best characteristic. She runs before following seas with ease and never pounds. German Frers designed her to sail, and sail she does. Delivery captains will tell you that Brent Swain's concerns have been allayed in their minds. Quijote, GordMay, and ssullivan are right on. The one valid criticism that has held true is that the 44 is a wet boat. In fact, this is part of her chartering attraction. For those who like dry cockpits, you might look elsewhere.

2. On deck, the 44 does not have access to the chainlocker. This access was one of the changes they made for the 46. You can argue this both ways. Below decks, I have never heard a complaint about storage. Most people rave about accommodations.

3. For systems, one problem to look for is the engine. Some early ones had Westerbekes. These should be repowered by now. If they have not been, budget that in to your purchase. This Westerbeke was the kiss of death. Most will have a 4-108 or Yanmar.

Jon D mentions the 44 has a larger 46 sistership. There is also a 45.5. The 45.5 is the same 44 hull with a swim platform glassed on. The 46 has a deeper forefoot, redesigned cabintrunk, and switches the V-berth forward for a portside pullman. Around 1990, the 47 was redesigned into the 49 with two inches more sheer and a swim platform. Stevens 47s are early Hylas 47s and have beefier rigs.
Richard Jordan is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Hylas