Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-09-2018, 10:04   #31

Boat: Cal 33-2
Re: Hurricane Florence

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrismct View Post
I am in Missouri right now. I wonder if they can push her off?
Will probably need a crane.

We had some boats come off stands at our club lot in Sandy. We hired a crane to lift them back up. Cost was shared by the boat owners insurance.
Old 16-09-2018, 10:05   #32

Boat: 58' Sedan Bridge

Quote:
Originally Posted by WindLove View Post
That indicates they aren't customer sensitive. You could do a separate post with their name in the subject line explaining the treatment. This is bad publicity for a marina.

It would be equally useful to assume the folks there are working physical issues to their best ability, and just haven't yet had time to do secondary things.

-Chris
Old 16-09-2018, 10:09   #33

Quote:
not sure how to get it down
Crane, maybe. I've seen pics of that working before. Had the advantage of being able to get right there, unlike a travel lift. Maybe your marina people have some clues about that, or maybe some of the larger marinas up by New Bern or over in Oriental.

FWIW, we came through the marina at Cherry Point en route Charleston last Fall for a quick look-see Had intended to temporarily leave our boat there while we wandered off for holiday family visits... but as it turned out, the only slip that could handle us was spoken for already. Looked like a nice place.

-Chris
Old 16-09-2018, 11:55   #34

Boat: Island Packet Cat, 35 ft, Knotty Cat

I’ve been reading towndock and saw that picture, I think it was taken on Wednesday before the hit. Thank you for the info, I appreciate it!!
Hans and Laura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2018, 12:05   #35

Not trying to give anyone bad publicity! Sorry if it came out sounding that way. I can’t imagine how awful it is there. Like I said the cell service and internet are awful. I just thought someone out there might know something more.
Old 16-09-2018, 12:19   #36

Boat: Columbia 9.6

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranger42c View Post
Crane, maybe. I've seen pics of that working before. Had the advantage of being able to get right there, unlike a travel lift. Maybe your marina people have some clues about that, or maybe some of the larger marinas up by New Bern or over in Oriental.

FWIW, we came through the marina at Cherry Point en route Charleston last Fall for a quick look-see Had intended to temporarily leave our boat there while we wandered off for holiday family visits... but as it turned out, the only slip that could handle us was spoken for already. Looked like a nice place.

-Chris
we are pretty protected in there too and for the most part its nice. very quiet location.
chrismct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2018, 12:22   #37

Boat: Tartan 40

Quote:
Trying to upload pictures

I’m trying to decide if you’re very lucky or very unlucky...

Good luck and I echo crane idea
malbert73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2018, 12:26   #38

Boat: Columbia 9.6

Quote:
Originally Posted by malbert73 View Post
I’m trying to decide if you’re very lucky or very unlucky...

Good luck and I echo crane idea
I'll take being on the dock than under the dock. The 25' Pearson that was next to me and left those black marks.......its gone...no mast no anything.
chrismct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2018, 12:31   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranger42c View Post
It would be equally useful to assume the folks there are working physical issues to their best ability, and just haven't yet had time to do secondary things.

-Chris
I know it’s an awful time for those working there. I can’t imagine how exhausted everyone must be. What I was hoping for was that someone on this sight might have some additional info. That’s why I mentioned the name of the marina. We were liveaboards for several years and fully appreciate marina employees. Like I said I was just looking for info, nothing more, definitely not criticizing. Super sorry it sounded that way.
Old 16-09-2018, 13:40   #40
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

If you are reading this thread, I hope you will read and possibly contribute to the following new thread which is focused on reports of the current Status of the ICW Following Hurricanes in 2018.

It will include posts about possible damage, possible shoaling, closed facilities, etc.

ICW Status Reports After Hurricanes in 2018

ICW Status Reports After Hurricanes in 2018 - Cruisers & Sailing Forums
Steadman Uhlich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2018, 14:24   #41

Boat: Endeavourcat Sailcat 44

I had a report from a friend of mine that stayed in Oriental for the storm, but keeps his boat in the Point marina in Broad Creek. Boats in the marina had some minor rub rail damage, but nothing serious. His boat lost a hatch and had some wet stuff inside butthe bilge pumps kept up with the water intrusion. The bad news was that there were 6 boats anchored out in broad creek for the storm, after the storm there was only one. He knows one of the guys who was on 2 anchors with 60 feet of chain and 3/4 inch rope rodes. Both rope rodes failed and his boat is aground up the creek in what is now shallow water. The owner is aware. I don't have any info on the other 4 boats.
Captain Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-2018, 04:19   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hans and Laura View Post
Like I said I was just looking for info, nothing more, definitely not criticizing. Super sorry it sounded that way.

Didn't take your questions amiss at all; just thought WindLove's subsequent suggestion to throw the marina under a bus was at least a bit premature if nothing else.

-Chris
Old 17-09-2018, 06:08   #43
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Murray 33-Chouette & Pape Steelmaid-44-Safara-both steel cutters

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Bill View Post
I had a report from a friend of mine that stayed in Oriental for the storm, but keeps his boat in the Point marina in Broad Creek. Boats in the marina had some minor rub rail damage, but nothing serious. His boat lost a hatch and had some wet stuff inside butthe bilge pumps kept up with the water intrusion. The bad news was that there were 6 boats anchored out in broad creek for the storm, after the storm there was only one. He knows one of the guys who was on 2 anchors with 60 feet of chain and 3/4 inch rope rodes. Both rope rodes failed and his boat is aground up the creek in what is now shallow water. The owner is aware. I don't have any info on the other 4 boats.
That’s dissapointing. I would have thought a boat in the hook would have faired well.
hpeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-2018, 06:37   #44

Boat: Endeavourcat Sailcat 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by hpeer View Post
That’s dissapointing. I would have thought a boat in the hook would have faired well.
My guess is that having rope rodes chafe probably was the culprit that caused the failure. Alternatively it could have been his chafe guard system. I've heard of stories where nylon rodes inside of hose has melted due to the heat generated under stress. Perhaps we will get some details at some point. By the way, the boat that survived in place was on an all chain rode.
Captain Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-2018, 06:54   #45
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Murray 33-Chouette & Pape Steelmaid-44-Safara-both steel cutters

Captain Bill,

Thanks for that info and any other insights you come up with.

The all chain rode observation is very interesting. I’ll definetly keep that in mind.
hpeer is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
enc, hurricane