Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 22-01-2009, 00:44   #16

Boat: Hallberg Rassy 35. and 14ft.Whitehall pulling skiff.
Well...If you keep hearing negative things about a particular kind of boat, why would you want to buy it? In this market, boats are cheap and plentiful. It is important to buy one with a good reputation and even more important that you like it.

"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"

http://wwwjolielle.blogspot.com/
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2009, 18:16   #17

Boat: Hunter 40
I was in the same position a year ago pondering the idea of buying a Hunter. There is no shortage of negative comments out there but there are good things said about Hunters as well.

My goal was comfortable coastal cruising around Florida and the Bahamas. Of the boats that i looked at in my price range, I chose a 1985 Hunter 40. I found it gave a good value for money. There would be boats of better quality out there but at a much higher price. For my use, the quality is acceptable and overall I am very happy with the boat.

I've also been in contact with Hunter customer service on a couple of occasions and they were very helpful with the questions that I had.

Old 22-01-2009, 20:04   #18

I read this, I read that, you know some one once told me, i heard that , I remember when, my brothers cousins step brothers friends mom twice removed..... notice none of this is i owned one and. goto the hunter site and ask there you will get real info from people who owned them or still do. anything 30 years old is just that old. I have owned 2 and sailed up and down the east coast yep in the ocean with out my rudder falling off or losing my keel or oh my, abandoning ship. It was a 2000 and 2006. if you take care of it it will last if you use it for what it was built for you will be fine. go talk to owners. Im gona buy a 44ft ds now.
Old 22-01-2009, 20:08   #19

Boat: Alden 50, Sarasota, Florida
There are certainly those who criticize Hunters. Often, as can be seen here, it is interesting to carefully read the context in which they write their comments by the preface to their criticisms and specifically note that their opinion is often based on dubious grounds, e.g., "someone told me", "the owner of another boat said", etc. Clearly there are isolated examples of problems but given the sheer numbers of Hunters out there sailing, one would have to consider the statistics.

The factory (which is in Florida) is alive and well and apparently producing boats at a rate equivalent to it's competitors while we see companies supposedly making superior boats such as Hinkley, Goetz, Pearson Composits, etc. laying off their labor force or filing receivership. The realities appear somewhat different than the hearsay may indicate.

Having owned a number of boats over the years including a Hylas, Hunter, Catalina, Peterson and others and sailing half way around the world, I can tell you from experience that no one in some remote S Pacific motu is complaining aboat who made their boat - they all are complaining about the breakdowns, repairs, maintanence and effort to keep their boats sailing regardless of the nameplate on the transom.

In other words, find the best maintained boat you can for the price you can afford and stop worrying about what all the internet experts tell you.
Old 22-01-2009, 20:25   #20

Go to rudder issues - SailboatOwners.com
It is a thread for Hunter owners with plenty of FIRST HAND RUDDER issues. Never under-estimate the power of denial.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"

Old 22-01-2009, 20:31   #21

Doing a further search I came across a link that read Hunter losses rudder off Cape Hatteras. However when I clicked on it the Youtube video just stated Hunter on beach. However, it is rudderless.

Old 22-01-2009, 20:58   #22
Marine Service Provider

Boat: CS-36T - Cupecoy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubikoop View Post
I spoke with a couple who bought a new Hunter in 2002 that are currently hauled out near my boat. The reason they required a tow for an unscheduled haul out? The rutter shaft broke. IIRC the boat is a Passage 420. The rudder shaft broke while motorsailing into 3'-5' waves with the autopilot engaged a few miles from shore. They tried the emergency tiller with no luck. Dove the rudder and discovered it jammed hard over. Tried to balance sails with no luck and finally called for a tow. While the trave lift was moving the vessel accross the rough parking lot the rudder fell onto the ground. New rudder is on order. The owner said this failure really surprised him since the boat and rudder have never touched bottom. They have been cruising on it full time since 2003.

I am not a Hunter lover or hater but thought this occurance on a newer boat was worthy of mention in this thread.
A little inside dope on this. A buddy who is very involved in the prop shafting industry was seeing numerous problems with Mainship & Luhrs prop shaft failures. They sent one out for testing and it came back as 316 stainless NOT Nitronic 50 or Aquamet or Aqualoy as it's commonly refered to.

Apparently the company tried to save a buck and sourced shafting and stock from Ch*na and when it came in it was not Nitronic 50!! There is a HUGE difference in strength between Nitronic 50 and 316 stainless nearly double! My guess is that the batch of rudder stock came from the same batch of shafting as the Luhrs and Mainship prop shafts...

Trying to save a buck can apparently bite you in the butt..
Old 22-01-2009, 21:24   #23

Boat: Alden 50, Sarasota, Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Celestialsailor View Post
Go to rudder issues - SailboatOwners.com
It is a thread for Hunter owners with plenty of FIRST HAND RUDDER issues. Never under-estimate the power of denial.
This is ONE issue related to a foam filled rudder similar to virtually ALL rudders on production boats
I'm wondering when someone will resurect the story about a composite rudder shaft which broke upon hitting an underwater object, presumably a submerged container. I have read second-hand accounts of this accident as criticism of all boats which use composite rudder shafts - maybe someone will eventually blame the submerged container but that might be too optimistic... it sounds more authoritative for someone to criticize the boat manufacturer.
Old 22-01-2009, 21:37   #24

I'm sure a container would do damage to any boat. Hell, I wouldn't want to hit one but to have rudder failure in small seas with an auto-pilot going is another story.
I say if you want to buy a Hunter...go for it. If that's what makes you happy. There are a lot of good boats to choose from. Pick the one you feel right with after your research.

Old 22-01-2009, 21:49   #25
CF Adviser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 14 meter sloop
such an interesting phenomenon, this Hunter bashing

Years ago Hunter developed a new way of laying up hulls using vacuum bagging. At first the resultant hulls were ridiculed throughout the sailing fraternity until it was discovered that vacuum bagging produced far fewer voids than traditional hand layup methods. Now days, most manufacturers use a similar system.

Hunter has always tended toward innovation, and a significant group of sailors resist innovation. There are still folks out there who counsel that you should never venture offshore without a sextant, and never leave a handle in a winch. And yet when's the last time your GPS couldn't get a fix? Or the last time you saw a winch throw a handle?

In test after test the B&R rig has proven to be more stable than a traditional rig, which is not to say it doesn't have its limitations, but instability is not one of them. And yet the rig has its detractors simply because they can't think outside the backstay box. Hunter apparently made a mistake a few years back when they switched to carbon-fiber rudder posts. Despite what the engineers said, a few boats--out of thousands and thousands--lost their rudders, and Hunter switched back to stainless posts.

Part of Hunter's phenomenal success has been in their ability to focus on a specific market and outperform the competition in bringing a product to that market. They're not going after millionare yachtsmen, or the solo circumnavigator, or the salty traditionalists, or the one-design club racers. Instead, they seem to be targeting value-oriented couples to whom accommodations are as important as is ease of sailing.

I bought a 41' Hunter ten years ago and lived aboard it for eight years before trading up to a bigger boat. Before ordering the Hunter my first choice of boat had been a twenty-year old Swan that would have cost as much as the brand-new Hunter, but my wife hated the boat because it was too dark, too poorly ventilated, too difficult to shorthand, and because the galley sucked. Unlike me, she did not find the fact that the boat was festooned with a dozen winches to be a selling point, nor did she appreciate the ancient teak decks. She fell in love with the Hunter, however, not only because it had an amazing galley but because it was light down below and because it was a breeze for the two of us to sail. It took me much longer to warm up to the boat, but I ultimately came to appreciate it because it transformed my wife into an eager cruiser. I came to love the fact that she wanted to spend as much time on the water as I did. She never felt that way on our previous boats--boats that garnered far more status within both the cruising and racing communities. But the Hunter transformed her into an avid sailor.

It's difficult to understand the small minds can only feel superior by denigrating one of the most successful brands of boats ever manufactured. I suspect that behind it all may be a pernitious sort of sexism that feels the need to ridicule any boat that a female might find attractive. But I find it interesting that so many of the Hunter bashers are sailing boats built by manufacturers who went out of business decades ago.
Old 22-01-2009, 23:35   #26

Geeez!!!! settle down!!!

Old 23-01-2009, 03:50   #27
Long Range Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bash View Post
Swan that would have cost as much as the brand-new Hunter, but my wife hated the boat because it was too dark, too poorly ventilated, too difficult to shorthand, .
I have sailed trans atlantic on a Swan and seen plenty of new ones and tell you what....., I agree with your wife. Too dark, badly ventelated except by dorades anywhere you can trip on them, cruising comfort of slatted wood in the cabins! The whole thing too butch to be cruised.

And you pay what? 4 times the cost of a hunter, bene, Catalina etc?

Have a look at the interior photos SWAN 53 - Interior View - Nautor's Swan Line

Nothin exciting in that lot and still a mainsheet to trip someone up!

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2009, 04:09   #28
Back to the game

Boat: Pearson Countess 44 wannabe
I understand MarkJ's comments but there is NO way to compare a Swan with a Hunter or Beneteau...they are just two very different boats I believe
Old 23-01-2009, 05:10   #29

I think Hunters are fine boats, they build to a price point and bring lots of people into sailing. That said, they are not Swans. I like an interior that is closed up, windows and sailboats don't give a me warm comfy feel.
Old 23-01-2009, 05:49   #30
Marine Service Provider

Boat: O'day 30 "Waverider III"
Send a message via Skype™ to waverider
Ok so this Post has openned a can of worms. That was not my intention, but I did ask for your opinions. I want to thank everyone for their feed back. I have not ruled out Hunter yachts yet. So far I have a short list of: Hunter, Pearson, Islander Bahama, Tartan, Catalina and Cal.

If it was just a sailing decission then the list would be smaller: Pearson and Tartan.

However, I do need to take into consideration a few other things. Hot Water, Shower, Oven, Storage, etc. All the accomedations that would make for a more enjoyable coastal cruise. And is it worth it to sell my boat now that is in great shape and ready to make the journey, for the sake of 2.5 more feet and a boat I dont know.

I currently have a Mirage 275 (Robert Perry design) and I am looking at 30 footers. Is that 2.5 feet going to make the journey any more comfortable. I dont have a shower or oven and storage is limited.

So let me change the topic from Hunter Yachts to 2.5 vs a good boat. For this I will start a new Thread in Mono Hulls. I would appreciate any feedback you all can give me..

waverider is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hunter

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: