Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-01-2015, 16:09   #391

Boat: Manta 40 "Reach"
Re: Hunter sinks at Catalina due to bow cleat failure

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post
Mark, this is not meant as bashing, but wouldn't this mean that the backing plate bears on core material, not glass? I would have thought the best practice would be to replace core with something solid in the subject area.

Or do I have the picture upside down? I'm not sure I understand your description!

Jim
All deck hardware on our boat has glassed in backing plates. The method for installing them seems to depend on the type of loads. For blocks and other things that have tension or compression loads, the backing plates are put in in place of coring in those areas. For the cleats, which are mostly in shear, I think it was done like I described.

But now you have me wondering about that. I can look tomorrow and clarify.

Either way, the area is not thinner where the backing plates are.

Mark

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
colemj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2015, 16:16   #392

Boat: 31' Cape George Cutter

Apologies for thread drift - writing a long post has the disadvantage of re-entering the conversation after it moved on...

Saying that this accident was not a result of cleat (mounting) failure is wrong. Had the cleat held there is no reason to believe that the boat would have been lost. Of course it might have been - pure conjecture. But the cleat failure was the first in a series of events that caused the boat to hit another boat and become holed. Without the cleat failure this would not have happened - barring another failure such as the mooring line.

I will repeat: the ultimate failure was to not move the boat in response to a weather forecast of gale force winds coming directly into the harbor over a 25 mile fetch. It is a mistake many of us have made at one time or another (it is the one that cost Moitessier his Joshua at Cabo San Lucas, and nearly my Carina in the same place). Understandable on many levels, but a mistake nonetheless and one we should all learn from.

Greg
CarinaPDX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2015, 16:17   #393

Boat: 11meter Power catamaran

I guess the point you are making well Mark is that high stress points such as bow cleats and the hull structures adjacent supporting them need to be proberly engineered and this is sometimes not well done on many vessels.

I have friends with a Lagoon 440 and FP Salina 48 that have ripped out cleats med mooring in a storm.
downunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2015, 16:24   #394
Eternal Member

A couple of pics of the bow cleat on the 460... I'll cut the Hunter owners some slack, and allow that this does not likely represent how docklines are typically fixed to their cleats...

:-))

Two things catch my eye...

Probably due to the conversion of much of the foredeck into a boxtop for the anchor locker, those cleats are mounted considerably further aft than is 'normal'... Depending on how the boat might have been swinging, if the forces of wind and wave became more broadside, the leverage on those cleats might only have been increased than if they had been located closer to the stem...

Second, hard to tell for certain, but the surface upon which the cleat is mounted does not necessarily appear to be integral with the structure of the deck itself. Rather, it seems it might be an arrangement closer to that of the wrecked Passage 420 pictured earlier, where the cleat is perched atop a hollow, bulbous 'toerail', for want of a better description... But being that it's mounted on a flat cutout in that rail, one could only assume there's a solid structure underneath... However, there certainly isn't much room for a backing plate of the size that might be very effective in distributing the load to much of an extent to the surrounding deck itself...

Good news is, at least it's a 4 hole cleat... :-)
Jon Eisberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2015, 16:32   #395

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Quote:
Originally Posted by RTB View Post
Me too, since I called the broken cleat BS.

I also noticed in Maine's post - "Only one cleat was in use at the time and it took all the load. It could have just as easily been the mooring pendant that failed, as happens most often."

For anyone else picking up a mooring when expecting storm conditions, one line attached to a bow cleat is not the proper setup. I NEVER attach one line to the pendant. Anyone that has moored in Boot Key has seen their nice, big, display, showing the proper way to adjust your lines. Recommended Mooring Tie Up for Storms

Maybe it would have saved the Hunter in this thread, or maybe not. But there is a right way and a wrong way to do some things. I hope this helps someone else in the future, since there are probably a few future cruisers reading this, that have never picked up a mooring.

Ralph
That's an interesting mooring system, Ralph. But a question: are the two 'main" lines that appear to be spliced to the pendant eye part of the supplied rig? If so, I guess that all you are asked to add is the smaller line shown in between the "main" ones.

We don't use moorings often, but so far, all the ones that I've picked up have only the pendant (around here always biggish polypropylene three strand) with a large spliced eye. What you have posted is surely a better system.

Jim
Old 07-01-2015, 16:51   #396

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Eisberg View Post
A couple of pics of the bow cleat on the 460...
Is this the model of boat that sunk? Someone said it was a newer model Hunter, but the Simpson-Lawrence Horizon 1500 windlass in your picture hasn't been made since ~1998.

If it is the same model, then you have a point.

If it isn't the same model, then I don't see the connection, and don't agree that you can paint with such broad strokes unless you can show that the construction and build are very similar.

Mark

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
Old 07-01-2015, 16:54   #397

Quote:
Originally Posted by downunder View Post
I guess the point you are making well Mark is that high stress points such as bow cleats and the hull structures adjacent supporting them need to be proberly engineered and this is sometimes not well done on many vessels.

I have friends with a Lagoon 440 and FP Salina 48 that have ripped out cleats med mooring in a storm.
On another thread here somewhere, I posted pictures of broken cleats and cleats ripped out of decks from pretty much all types of boats out there. Cleats that were considered by some of the experts here as unbreakable, off of boats considered impossible.

At some point, something cries "uncle".

That was my point.

Mark

Old 07-01-2015, 17:14   #398

Boat: Bristol 47.7

Quote:
Originally Posted by colemj View Post
On another thread here somewhere, I posted pictures of broken cleats and cleats ripped out of decks from pretty much all types of boats out there. Cleats that were considered by some of the experts here as unbreakable, off of boats considered impossible.

At some point, something cries "uncle".

That was my point.

Mark
It's a good point. Maine Sail has a helpful article on this on his "How-To" website and the forces can be incredible. But to me that only makes it an imperative to explore whether build practices are deficient and/or can be improved, just like the excellent posts we've had on improving basic seamanship. No need for anyone to interpret the inquiry as some sort of "bash."
Exile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2015, 17:15   #399

Boat: Hunter 44ds

I'm a prospective Hunter 44DS buyer, looks like the Kevlar reinforcement didn't help much for Susie Q. Could this just be a gimmick?

"Hunter’s structural grid and interior bulkhead design are bonded into place,
complemented by Kevlar-reinforced hulls, for top-notch structural
strength and integrity."
SailAllDay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2015, 17:20   #400

Quote:
Originally Posted by SailAllDay View Post
I'm a prospective Hunter 44DS buyer, looks like the Kevlar reinforcement didn't help much for Susie Q. Could this just be a gimmick?

"Hunter’s structural grid and interior bulkhead design are bonded into place,
complemented by Kevlar-reinforced hulls, for top-notch structural
strength and integrity."
Try not to jump the guy/gal. First post & all, and he/she obviously is an admirer.

One of many answers I'm sure is that we don't know if this particular Hunter had Kevlar reinforcing. I thought that was a more recent feature but could be wrong.
Old 07-01-2015, 17:22   #401

Quote:
Originally Posted by RTB View Post
Me too, since I called the broken cleat BS.

I also noticed in Maine's post - "Only one cleat was in use at the time and it took all the load. It could have just as easily been the mooring pendant that failed, as happens most often."

For anyone else picking up a mooring when expecting storm conditions, one line attached to a bow cleat is not the proper setup. I NEVER attach one line to the pendant. Anyone that has moored in Boot Key has seen their nice, big, display, showing the proper way to adjust your lines. Recommended Mooring Tie Up for Storms

Maybe it would have saved the Hunter in this thread, or maybe not. But there is a right way and a wrong way to do some things. I hope this helps someone else in the future, since there are probably a few future cruisers reading this, that have never picked up a mooring.

Ralph
Sorry to add even more OT controversy to this poor thread, but three out of the four lines pictured are not fairly led. Also, this arrangement does not divide the load. On anything other than a straight pull, the full load will be upon either one cleat or the other.

Marginal tucks on the big eye splice, and no serving over. I'd probably question the cleat hitches too, if I could see them a little better. Hope I'm not catching something here.
ryon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2015, 17:27   #402

Quote:
Originally Posted by colemj View Post
All deck hardware on our boat has glassed in backing plates. The method for installing them seems to depend on the type of loads. For blocks and other things that have tension or compression loads, the backing plates are put in in place of coring in those areas. For the cleats, which are mostly in shear, I think it was done like I described.

But now you have me wondering about that. I can look tomorrow and clarify.

Either way, the area is not thinner where the backing plates are.

Mark
So what are the advantages & disadvantages of glassed-in backing plates, or chain plates for that matter? And please don't get agitated, I think "bluewater" IP's have glassed-in chain plates too.
Old 07-01-2015, 17:35   #403

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exile View Post
So what are the advantages & disadvantages of glassed-in backing plates, or chain plates for that matter? And please don't get agitated, I think "bluewater" IP's have glassed-in chain plates too.
Well glassing in chain plates is not a great idea, if done well they are plenty strong but they can aslo be a breeding ground for crevice coronation and very expensive to replace.
Usually the stronger cleats are mounted into solid glass and backed with a large SS backing plate.
robert sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2015, 17:35   #404

Boat: Hunter 44ds

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exile View Post
Try not to jump the guy/gal. First post & all, and he/she obviously is an admirer.

One of many answers I'm sure is that we don't know if this particular Hunter had Kevlar reinforcing. I thought that was a more recent feature but could be wrong.
True, I don't know when Hunter started reinforcing their hulls with kevlar. Susie Q is a 2001 Hunter 460. The Hunter I'm looking at is from 2007. I've been lurking for a long time researching on the forums. Thanks for the kind welcome
SailAllDay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2015, 17:36   #405
RTB

Boat: Hunter 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post
That's an interesting mooring system, Ralph. But a question: are the two 'main" lines that appear to be spliced to the pendant eye part of the supplied rig? If so, I guess that all you are asked to add is the smaller line shown in between the "main" ones.

We don't use moorings often, but so far, all the ones that I've picked up have only the pendant (around here always biggish polypropylene three strand) with a large spliced eye. What you have posted is surely a better system.

Jim
They just supply the pendant with the thimble (eye). Probably, all that splicing is to keep their display lines from going walkabout. In reality, one just uses 2 dock lines. From the cleat though the thimble and back to same cleat. One each side, getting them as equal as possible. The center, extra line is for storm conditions.

Ralph
RTB is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
catalina, hunter