Cruisers Forum
 


Join CruisersForum Today

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-01-2015, 21:45   #226
Marine Service Provider
 
SV THIRD DAY's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: La Paz, Mexico
Boat: 1978 Hudson Force 50 Ketch
Posts: 3,653
Re: Hunter sinks at Catalina due to bow cleat failure

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenomac View Post
Probably me, we have an ongoing love-hate relationship.
Oh not at all.....
__________________

__________________
Rich Boren Goodbye Morro Bay...Hello La Paz, Mexico and the owner of:
Cruise RO Water High Output Water
Technautic CoolBlue Refrigeration
SV THIRD DAY is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2015, 21:46   #227
Registered User
 
Exile's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Land of Disenchantment
Boat: Bristol 47.7
Posts: 2,961
Re: Hunter sinks at Catalina due to bow cleat failure

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenomac View Post
Probably me, we have an ongoing love-hate relationship.
Figures you'd try and take all the credit.
__________________

__________________
Exile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2015, 21:48   #228
Registered User
 
Exile's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Land of Disenchantment
Boat: Bristol 47.7
Posts: 2,961
Re: Hunter sinks at Catalina due to bow cleat failure

Quote:
Originally Posted by SV THIRD DAY View Post
Oh not at all.....
Oh good. Pick me, pick me!
__________________
Exile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2015, 22:14   #229
Senior Cruiser
 
Jim Cate's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: May 2008
Location: cruising SW Pacific
Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar
Posts: 11,450
Re: Hunter sinks at Catalina due to bow cleat failure

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenomac View Post
I lived in Southern California for over 30 years, not far from where this happened in Huntington Beach and Long Beach. The forecasts for Santa Ana winds can be quite fickle. Sometimes when they're predicted, they never materialize. Sometimes come in at double strength other times they're nothing more than a very light onshore warm breeze. I'm sure most everyone was caught off guard that day. There's no way that every one of those boat owners are going to take the ferry over to Avalon and move their boats to the other side of the island every time the Santa Ana winds are forecast, plus.... there really isn't anywhere else to anchor. The depth drops off to over 100 feet within a 100 yards or so most everywhere around the island. Another issue... there are few boat owners actually on their boats or in Avalon this time of year.... it's the off season.

Check your charts and know what you're talking about before accusing the unfortunates of poor seamanship.
Well, there just might have been a spot in Cat harbour...

Look, if Avalon is exposed to Santa Ana winds, and sometimes these winds are damn strong, and you live far away and can't take responsibility for your boat in the case of bad SA winds... then to me, leaving your boat there is questionable seamanship. Be kinda like me leaving my boat on a mooring in teh Whitsundays during cyclone season (our "off" season). Some folks do just that, and nearly every year a few come to grief. Some years a LOT have come to grief. So, even though there might be some advantage, cruising-wise, to leaving her there, we don't.

So, Ken, I have checked the charts (I've even sailed there myself) and while I "ain't an expert", I sorta know what I'm talking about... I think!

Jim
__________________
Jim and Ann s/v Insatiable II , lying Port Cygnet, Tasmania once again
Jim Cate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2015, 22:23   #230
Eternal Member

Join Date: Apr 2014
Posts: 848
Re: Hunter sinks at Catalina due to bow cleat failure

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt Phil View Post
Interesting that all seem to look for fault in design, engineering, weather forcasters, mooring configuration, etc... whatever happened to using prudent judgement and solid mariner intelligence when it comes to keeping you and your vessel safe? Everyone seems to blame anything other than their own lack of seamanship, marine knowledge and sensible actions when it comes to the ocean. I can't believe that insurance companies would pay off under such circumstances! With weather forecasts being more accurate by the year, any prudent mariner would ensure that their anchoring/mooring position would be more than adequate to handle the weather or they should get the hell out of there and find a more sheltered anchorage or get away from land, hove to and hang on. Phil
I'm sure all here are in agreement with that...

But some seem to want to ignore what that particular 'Crash Test' revealed about the engineering and construction of that boat - as if to look at at a compact car completely crushed in an accident, but react with "But that doesn't COUNT, it's a poor example of the crash-worthiness of the vehicle, the driver was DRUNK, after all..." :-)

Too bad the photos I mentioned earlier have disappeared from the web... They showed with much greater clarity the remaining structure of the inside of the boat's bow. There was no additional layup whatsoever to be seen in the vicinity of the stem. The hollow bulbous toe rail looked very thinly constructed to my eye... One could clearly see there was no structure whatsoever to prevent - once the anchor chain jumped the roller - it from easily sawing it's way downward thru the hull...

There was one shot of the anchor roller and stem fitting lying in the sand... It almost looked like it could have been sitting in the Hunter factory, awaiting installation on a boat under construction. It did not appear to be bent, or damaged, in the slightest... Which only reinforces how poorly conceived that entire anchor platform/stem fitting really is, and what a mismatch it was for the hull and deck structure itself, that it could have torn the stem apart like that, while hardly suffering a scratch...

But again, some will always prefer to believe what they want to believe, convinced that that a gargantuan prod like this represents sound engineering in an anchor roller, and one robustly constructed to "Go The Distance..."

:-)


__________________
Jon Eisberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2015, 22:34   #231
Resin Head
 
minaret's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Seattle WA
Boat: Nauticat
Posts: 7,199
Images: 52
Re: Hunter sinks at Catalina due to bow cleat failure

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Eisberg View Post
I'm sure all here are in agreement with that...

But some seem to want to ignore what that particular 'Crash Test' revealed about the engineering and construction of that boat - as if to look at at a compact car completely crushed in an accident, but react with "But that doesn't COUNT, it's a poor example of the crash-worthiness of the vehicle, the driver was DRUNK, after all..." :-)

Too bad the photos I mentioned earlier have disappeared from the web... They showed with much greater clarity the remaining structure of the inside of the boat's bow. There was no additional layup whatsoever to be seen in the vicinity of the stem. The hollow bulbous toe rail looked very thinly constructed to my eye... One could clearly see there was no structure whatsoever to prevent - once the anchor chain jumped the roller - it from easily sawing it's way downward thru the hull...

There was one shot of the anchor roller and stem fitting lying in the sand... It almost looked like it could have been sitting in the Hunter factory, awaiting installation on a boat under construction. It did not appear to be bent, or damaged, in the slightest... Which only reinforces how poorly conceived that entire anchor platform/stem fitting really is, and what a mismatch it was for the hull and deck structure itself, that it could have torn the stem apart like that, while hardly suffering a scratch...

But again, some will always prefer to believe what they want to believe, convinced that that a gargantuan prod like this represents sound engineering in an anchor roller, and one robustly constructed to "Go The Distance..."

:-)





Too much logic. I predict it won't be popular here.
__________________
O you who turn the wheel and look to windward,

Consider Phlebas, who was once handsome and tall as you.
minaret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2015, 22:44   #232
cruiser

Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 1,132
Re: Hunter sinks at Catalina due to bow cleat failure

Here's the bow roller of a Hunter pulling up some nasty stuff near Puerto Eden, Chile as it makes its way to Cape Horn.



They even have a full cockpit enclosure. Don't know how they managed...

Oh - and here you can see that they still haven't added that 3/16" SS plating inside the anchor locker to protect the hull from getting chewed up by a chain when they land on a beach in a hurricane.



Fools.

Nice view though...



__________________
smackdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2015, 23:31   #233
Registered User
 
SimonV's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Brisbane, Australia.
Posts: 1,316
Re: Hunter sinks at Catalina due to bow cleat failure

I think I am lost. Did the boat relating to this thread that sank lose its bow cleat? If it did is that what caused the sinking, or did something else cause the water ingress? The boat on the beach. Did lose its anchor roller at anchor? Did the damage to the bow happen whilst at anchor?

Sent from my GT-N7105T using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
__________________
Simon

https://svgoodonya.blogspot.com.au/
SimonV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2015, 23:44   #234
Registered User
 
Exile's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Land of Disenchantment
Boat: Bristol 47.7
Posts: 2,961
Re: Hunter sinks at Catalina due to bow cleat failure

Quote:
Originally Posted by SimonV View Post
I think I am lost. Did the boat relating to this thread that sank lose its bow cleat? If it did is that what caused the sinking, or did something else cause the water ingress? The boat on the beach. Did lose its anchor roller at anchor? Did the damage to the bow happen whilst at anchor?

Sent from my GT-N7105T using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
We don't yet know if the bow cleat was lost, if that's what caused the sinking, why somebody purportedly posted on Facebook that a bow cleat failure caused the sinking, or who the a**hole is.
__________________
Exile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2015, 00:02   #235
Resin Head
 
minaret's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Seattle WA
Boat: Nauticat
Posts: 7,199
Images: 52
Re: Hunter sinks at Catalina due to bow cleat failure

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exile View Post
We don't yet know if the bow cleat was lost, if that's what caused the sinking, why somebody purportedly posted on Facebook that a bow cleat failure caused the sinking, or who the a**hole is.



I think we can all surmise that last one.
__________________
O you who turn the wheel and look to windward,

Consider Phlebas, who was once handsome and tall as you.
minaret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2015, 00:11   #236
Registered User
 
Exile's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Land of Disenchantment
Boat: Bristol 47.7
Posts: 2,961
Re: Hunter sinks at Catalina due to bow cleat failure

Quote:
Originally Posted by minaret View Post
I think we can all surmise that last one.
Yes, of course, but going with the most obvious candidate eliminates all the suspense.
__________________
Exile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2015, 00:39   #237
Registered User

Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Mackay,QLD, Australia
Boat: planning a approx 45ft cat
Posts: 3,651
Images: 3
Re: Hunter sinks at Catalina due to bow cleat failure

Quote:
Originally Posted by smackdaddy View Post
Here's the bow roller of a Hunter pulling up some nasty stuff near Puerto Eden, Chile as it makes its way to Cape Horn.



They even have a full cockpit enclosure. Don't know how they managed...

Oh - and here you can see that they still haven't added that 3/16" SS plating inside the anchor locker to protect the hull from getting chewed up by a chain when they land on a beach in a hurricane.



Fools.

Nice view though...



One thing Sequitur's owner found out for certain on that trip around the Horn was that his anchor winch was not up to the riqours of the conditions. (How many times did be have to repair his winch??) The weakest link generally fails first and those pictures are of a 49ft Hunter so I imagine the laminates in the bow are considerably beefier than the Hunter that ended up on the beach and quite possibly far removed from the structure of the vessel on the beach. They would need to be.

Smack, using pictures of a different vessel is misleading when you did not indicate it was a different vessel.
__________________
downunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2015, 00:39   #238
Resin Head
 
minaret's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Seattle WA
Boat: Nauticat
Posts: 7,199
Images: 52
Re: Hunter sinks at Catalina due to bow cleat failure

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exile View Post
Yes, of course, but going with the most obvious candidate eliminates all the suspense.



It is a list too; that implies multiple candidates. I'm sure we'll never know, as that would probably break forum rules. So I wouldn't hold my breath.
__________________
O you who turn the wheel and look to windward,

Consider Phlebas, who was once handsome and tall as you.
minaret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2015, 00:59   #239
Registered User
 
Exile's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Land of Disenchantment
Boat: Bristol 47.7
Posts: 2,961
Re: Hunter sinks at Catalina due to bow cleat failure

Quote:
Originally Posted by minaret View Post
It is a list too; that implies multiple candidates. I'm sure we'll never know, as that would probably break forum rules. So I wouldn't hold my breath.
You're probably right, although I figured the comment itself would have turned the lights off and was counting down along with Neil.
__________________
Exile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2015, 06:59   #240
Senior Cruiser
 
colemj's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Presently on US East Coast
Boat: Manta 40 "Reach"
Posts: 10,049
Images: 12
Re: Hunter sinks at Catalina due to bow cleat failure

Quote:
Originally Posted by robert sailor View Post
That is funny!! OK I admit it I am a follower, I've tried to quit and have even gone through a 10 step program of factor tours at HR, Oyster and Contest but I still can't seem to stop my deep desire to own a Hunter. Smack is like a god to me and leads me in places I have never been, its like I can't seem to get through a day without his guidance!
I'm going to give it another try, tomorrow!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by robert sailor View Post
Actually this would make a good thread for Smack to work on. He could find pictures of all the entry level boats and their anchoring systems and then compare them with some "Blue water" boats and we could all learn something. He is the only guy that has the time and energy to do this job and I think it would be a great project. PS I already know there is another place they use fender washers!
Oh Robert, Robert, Robert - off the wagon so soon?

You know your addiction is out of control when you are not only hooked on smackdaddy threads, but actually proposing new ones.

Mark
__________________

__________________
www.svreach.com

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
colemj is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
catalina, hunter

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Comments on Hunter 42 passage, Hunter 45, hunter 45 cc, hunter 49 and 50 chucklet321 Monohull Sailboats 3 07-10-2012 14:19
Bow and Stern or Two Bow Anchors? illiniphoenix Anchoring & Mooring 25 22-08-2012 12:35
Hunter Passage 42 auto pilot failure wahoo40 Seamanship & Boat Handling 0 02-07-2011 07:23
Multihull Capsize Due to Lack of Experience ssullivan Multihull Sailboats 125 06-03-2008 22:07
Forecasts: Northeast Due for Big Hurricane CaptainK Atlantic & the Caribbean 2 28-03-2006 05:47



Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 08:29.


Google+
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Social Knowledge Networks
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

ShowCase vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.