Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-11-2010, 05:38   #16

Boat: 1985 Albin 36 trawler, "O'dea"
Hunter 430

We owned a '95 hunter 430 and cruised it for 3 years from San Diego through the Panama Canal to Florida. Never had any engine or major system problems, but fried our starter in Costa Rica and were stuck for 10 days until a new one arrived from Miami (recommend carrying a spare as that diesel is tough to do a "push-jump start". The boat handled exceptionally well in weather. Had to reef that big ole sail early, though. Friends we buddy boated with in high dollar Swans called it our "Tupperware" boat but they could never leave us behind on long passages. Fast cruiser.

I installed an additional 50 gal fuel tank, port side, aft where the 2 little lockers were in the aft stateroom. Put in a 6 gal/hr watermaker in forward locker and we were all set for long term cruising.

Hated to sell her when we left Calif. but now have a trawler in Florida.
windance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-2010, 06:07   #17

Boat: 58 Taswell AS
My opinion only - I don't like the idea of going off-shore in a boat without a backstay and/or running backstays.
speciald@ocens. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-2010, 06:44   #18
CLOD

Boat: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by speciald@ocens. View Post
My opinion only - I don't like the idea of going off-shore in a boat without a backstay and/or running backstays.

While I understand the thought; in the years of reading various Hunter threads where the BR rig comes up I don't think I've ever read of a demasting. The reading I've done suggests it is stronger than a traditional back stay design.
sailorboy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-11-2010, 03:10   #19

Boat: Hunter 430
Windance: I hope to leave Thursday of this week on leg #1 of my San Diego-Florida trip. I also added water maker into my Hunter 430. Also a generator. Packing extra 30 gallons diesel in jerry cans. I cannot do this trip in a single shot (not-retired) so I hope to make the trip in 2-3 week blocks over the next two years. Any lessons learned about your Hunter 430 SD-Florida trip would be appreciated. Leg #1 is SD to La Paz, marina til March 2011. Clearing in Ensenada so single shot to Turtle is a little shorter.
kevinw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2019, 09:15   #20

Re: Hunter Sailboats

Great thread and interesting reading!

Any Hunter 410 owners out there happy to share experiences?

Thx

MG
Sail KiKa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2019, 09:47   #21
CLOD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sail KiKa View Post
Great thread and interesting reading!

Any Hunter 410 owners out there happy to share experiences?

Thx

MG
they are great had mine for 9 years with no Hunter builder issues

but like I told you (I think) it would be faster and more useful to go to the owner site than to read 10+ years of Hunter bashing threads

https://forums.sailboatowners.com/forums/big-boats.40/
Old 22-08-2019, 10:23   #22

Boat: Hunnter Legend 37.5

Have a 1990 legend 37.5. love her!! Grew up sailing Hunters from Chesapeake to Maine. Specifically, a 32 footer. Just sailed from Chesapeake to Newport last week. Have been in a few bad storms and seas with both. All good.
bensolomon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2019, 11:45   #23

Boat: Hunter Passage 42

We have a 1990 42 Passage and we love it. We've been up and down the west coast of Florida many times and not had any major issues with the boat. The layout is what sold us, we are liveaboards so living space was a big part of what we were looking for in our boat. As for the rigging, ours is the last year I think that they had a backstay. We didn't look at the Water boats">Blue Water boats mainly because we don't have any intentions of doing an ocean crossing, so it would be a waste for us. We intend to stay in the caribbean and island hope, so the 4'8" draft and livability is what we were looking for. As I am sure everyone does we look over all the other boats we are invited onto and then later discuss our likes and dislikes about them. So far we haven't been on any boat that has made us question our decision to purchase our boat, and we've been on some really nice boats. Including we just got back from crewing a catamaran to Guatemala.
sguerrero1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2020, 05:26   #24

Boat: Hunter 43

There’s no shortage of Hunter bashers out there but most of the actual owners are quite happy with them. I am firmly in that group having owned a 92 Hunter Legend 43 now for 3 years.
Spacious and comfortable for our family of 4 and a dog on weekend and weeklong cruises. We have the 3 cabin version with “crew bunks” in the chart room that gives a bed for a guest if one of the kids bring a friend
Sail’s very well. Easily handled with one power winch for the main. Rudder the size of a barn door makes marina manoeuvres a breeze even without a bowthruster. We even started racing it last summer and gathered a few flags around the cans and even on a 100 mile overnighter.
Cross the big oceans well maybe not but Cruise the Caribbean for sure.
Echo Beach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2020, 12:43   #25

Boat: Hunter 36

Another resurrected thread!

I own a 2006 Hunter 36. I have been told that the late 90s - early 2000s Hunters suffered some quality issues. I don't know if that's true. But like any boat, you get a survey done to identify any problems.

I have only owned it for 6 months now but overall I love it more than I expected. I am amazed by all the clever features, enormous amount of storage space, and ease of maintenance. It has, hands down, the best head arrangement I've seen on any boat this size, with a real shower door instead of a curtain. Nice lighting everywhere. It's not perfect. The refrigerator could have been a lot bigger and still fit in the same space. seacocks have rather cheap plywood around their base that tends to leak, I will need to get that fixed. But the boat is 14 years old and that's the kind of issue that comes up in the survey.

When I first looked at Hunters, I didn't like them because the interior style looked too much like an RV to me. But the more I checked it out, the more it grew on me. Price point is good too.
Rohan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2020, 14:08   #26

Hunters, Benni's and the like are high production value built boats. No they are not equal in quality to many other higher end type boats but your also not paying the quality premium for them either. So you get a lot of boat for the money. These boats are really all you need for 95% of the sailing everyone does these days. Are they capable of crossing oceans? Come on, people cross oceans in row boats so sure they are. The only thing I would be careful on in some specific models are their rudders and rudder support systems but even these can be strengthened if you planned on lots of passage making. They are probably perfect for areas like the Mediterranean, Mexico, Caribbean and general coastal cruising. I've personally never owned one but I've met lots of people that do own them and while not everyone is overly satisfied with their experience most certainly are.
robert sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2020, 14:31   #27
CLOD

T
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rohan View Post
Another resurrected thread!

I own a 2006 Hunter 36. I have been told that the late 90s - early 2000s Hunters suffered some quality issues. I don't know if that's true. But like any boat, you get a survey done to identify any problems. .
Had my 2001 Hunter 410 for 10 years now including the last 3.5 years full time cruising. I have ridden the boat pretty hard, much harder sometimes than i would have liked, and still have not had one Hunter hull/deck or contruction problem.
Old 25-02-2020, 14:47   #28
running down a dream

Boat: cape dory 30 MKII
Send a message via Yahoo to gonesail

Hunter (Marlow Hunter) is still in business and building boats so they must be doing something right
Old 25-02-2020, 19:37   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by gonesail View Post
Hunter (Marlow Hunter) is still in business and building boats so they must be doing something right
Not so sure that's a good gauge. There are some excellent boat builders that went out of business and it certainly had nothing to do with their quality.
You can stay in business by getting your price down as low as possible in order to produce a product that more people can afford., I believe that is the formula that builders like Hunter subscribe to.
If a higher quality builder did that he would ultimately go out of business so it's a case of knowing your buyer.
robert sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2020, 13:13   #30

Adding this link to the thread.

https://bfsshop.com/how-we-got-to-hunter/

So let’s face it, across virtually all the sailing forums, Hunter is probably one of the most maligned brands of yacht there is…apart from McGregor, of course. “Cheap”, “Flimsy”, “Ugly”, etc. – you’ve heard it.

So why in the hell did I decide to fly in the face of all that “collective wisdom” and buy one? Simple, that sailing forum collective is just a bunch of yappin’ chuckleheads for the most part. They don’t know squat.
tecmo is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
grass, hunter