Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-08-2015, 15:44   #16

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33
Re: Hunter History?

Quote:
Originally Posted by RTB View Post
Sorry for the confusion. That info was something I found elsewhere. Sadly, I am not related to John Cherubini.

Again, sorry for the confusion. Just trying to offer what little info there seems to be for the OP. Our blog (boring at the moment) can be found here - http://www.sailblogs.com/member/brogdon/

Ralph
No problem, I misinterpreted, thanks for the info.
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-2015, 15:54   #17

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

Quote:

I can't really comment on the newer models, because I don't know jack about them. I do know that I really don't care much for the looks of many of the newer Hunters. They are, however, quite roomy inside, with comfortable layouts.

Ralph
I don't like the looks of the newer Hunters either, but they are quite comfy below and my impression is that the quality of build is generally higher than some of the older Hunters.

I've sailed briefly on some of the newer Hunters. They sail well in light to moderate conditions, but have never sailed one in heavy conditions (the 37C is a great heavy weather boat. I sailed lots of heavy weather miles on mine and she always behaved well).

I don't like the B&R rigs with the swept back spreaders. This rig was originally designed for high performance boats where it makes sense, but for a typical cruising boat no. I think the primary reason it was used on some Hunters was to eliminate the backstay in order to open up transom access for swimming etc.
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-2015, 17:26   #18
RTB

Boat: Hunter 36

I kept an eye on a couple of larger Hunters when we were tied up for awhile in Brunswick, Ga. Like I say, the overall appearance wasn't appealing to me (especially the 44 DS). Well, the dockside appeal is what I refer to. But inside, they were pretty sweet. Actually, for entertaining, the cockpit was nice too. No ide how they sail.

I notice the OP has been cruising with kids on a Tartan 41. I guess he sold it (it was for sale). That's a solid boat. I have a friend here that also cruises on his T-41. Curious if the OP is looking for a more comfy boat for the family to enjoy?

Ralph
RTB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-2015, 17:38   #19

Quote:
I notice the OP has been cruising with kids on a Tartan 41. I guess he sold it (it was for sale). That's a solid boat. I have a friend here that also cruises on his T-41. Curious if the OP is looking for a more comfy boat for the family to enjoy?

Ralph
Yes, we just sold our Tartan. It was a bulletproof boat. We are looking for something smaller for the Lakes.
Old 16-08-2015, 18:09   #20
RTB

Quote:
Originally Posted by vtsailguy View Post
Yes, we just sold our Tartan. It was a bulletproof boat. We are looking for something smaller for the Lakes.
I enjoyed your blog. Well done, and best wishes with your future sailing adventures.

I can't offer too much useful info on this boat, but liked the feel of it. I'd kill for the bed in the aft cabin! Also, the looks and performance are quite nice. You may have already seen (and maybe ignored this) - http://bfsshop.com/blog/how-we-got-to-hunter/

Ralph
Old 16-08-2015, 18:34   #21

Quote:
I enjoyed your blog. Well done, and best wishes with your future sailing adventures.

I can't offer too much useful info on this boat, but liked the feel of it. I'd kill for the bed in the aft cabin! Also, the looks and performance are quite nice. You may have already seen (and maybe ignored this) - How We Got To Hunter | SmackTalk!

Ralph
Interesting read.

I agree on the "coastal" thing. Then again, I did deliver Alchemy going round Cape Hatteras at night in 40 knots . Just needed a double reef.....
Old 16-08-2015, 18:43   #22
RTB

Quote:
Originally Posted by vtsailguy View Post
Interesting read.

I agree on the "coastal" thing. Then again, I did deliver Alchemy going round Cape Hatteras at night in 40 knots . Just needed a double reef.....
Well, that Tartan was built (overbuilt) for those conditions. I'm very familiar with the boat. A very good friend has the same boat. I may be sailing with him to Panama in the near future.

Ralph
Old 16-08-2015, 18:46   #23

Nice, that will be a great trip.

If you see any good 90's 34-39' hunters for sale that are in great condition, send 'em my way
Old 16-08-2015, 19:35   #24

Boat: TBD

I found the PDF of the transcript of the actual interview with the late Jim Bohart, thats also an interesting read.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf 1999 Hunter Marine discussion.pdf (89.7 KB, 94 views)

Tags
history, hunter