Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-10-2015, 17:38   #46
cruiser

Re: Hunter, Catalina to sail Caribbean

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuffr2 View Post
I am hoping the water never gets too rough.p
Dont believe everything you see on a weather forecast. Weather forecasting is nothing better than a guesstimate based on a computer generated grib file. It'll bite you in the ass someday... and that's a sure bet.
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-10-2015, 17:41   #47

Wink Re: Hunter, Catalina to sail Caribbean

The majority of the boats in the Bahamas and the Carribean are coastal cruisers that somehow made it down there.
Old 13-10-2015, 18:16   #48

Boat: Hunnter Legend 37.5

Tuffr2,

Here is my opinion about the Hunter, Catalina and Beneteau. To the others on the forum, this is not meant to be disrespectful in any way. I have sailed all three, all in the 35 to 45 range. The Beneteaus were heavier than the other two and therefore more sea kindly. The Beneteaus had much better accommodations down below. I found the Beneteaus I sailed to be slow. The Hunters I sailed were lighter, and sailed easily. Due to the lighter boat, wave motion/action is more noticeable. I like the hard wood and "feel" of the Hunter cabins as does my wife. The Hunters don't have the creature comfort down pat the way the Bene's do. As for the Catalina, I find that those I have sailed were not as sturdily built as either the Bene or Hunter and they are also slower performers. Now, the boat you haven't mentioned are Jeanneau. I sailed a 32 foot Jeanneau from Piraeus, Greece all through the Cyclades. We (wife and I) routinely saw 40 knot winds and 15 to 18 foot seas. That boat looked after us beautifully. She was more than roomy for the two of us, and we moved nicely. I would say middle performer.

Ben

Sent from my XT1254 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
bensolomon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-10-2015, 18:21   #49

Boat: 1997 Catalina 42 MkII

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenomac View Post
Dont believe everything you see on a weather forecast. Weather forecasting is nothing better than a guesstimate based on a computer generated grib file. It'll bite you in the ass someday... and that's a sure bet.
NOAA has lied to us more than once. One day, 1-2' seas with 10 knots of wind coming from the south turned out to be 4-5' seas with 30 knots of wind coming on the nose (west) instead. I hated them that day.
annsni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-10-2015, 19:59   #50

Boat: Cape Dory 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by autumnbreeze27 View Post
You can get a can of StopCreek at west marine. It's not cheap, but it's the only way to stop creeking.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Would you know if WM also carries "Add Creak"? There's this one guy about 6 slips from me.............
Orion Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-10-2015, 03:38   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by annsni View Post
NOAA has lied to us more than once. One day, 1-2' seas with 10 knots of wind coming from the south turned out to be 4-5' seas with 30 knots of wind coming on the nose (west) instead. I hated them that day.
I've kind of learned to add 10 knots and 3 feet to any NOAA forecast and thendecide if I still want to go!

My next door neighbor works for NOAA and I tease him constantly about their forecasts and even he admits he doesn't trust them.
Old 14-10-2015, 04:15   #52
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Boats are like everything else, some are more sturdily built than others, but is this sturdiness comes at a cost and is it required?
Depends on the mission of course.

In my opinion a strong argument could be made that you need a "blue water" boat for the Caribbean about as much as you need a four wheel drive SUV to run to the grocery store in South Fl. Just like the SUV's you see so many of, these high end boats are more of a status thing than a requirement, for the Caribbean. You may be better off saving your money and spending it else where than on a "blue water" boat.
Unless of course you have aspirations of going much further than the Caribbean
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-10-2015, 04:47   #53

Boat: MacGregor 26X

I did it a few years back in a MacGregor 26x. I heard of a young who did it in in some sort of 18" open sailboat.
I am sure you would be fine in any of the boats you mentioned.
MidwestRefugee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-10-2015, 06:37   #54

Boat: 2018 Seadoo GTX 230

Humm...a 'status symbol' that is someting I guess I never thought of and am not going to worry about.

Too bad NOAA (weather) forecasts are no better than on land. I am a bit surprised by this and that they even get the wind direction wrong. Anyone ever see their sensor bouys? I have not.

I did see, what I thought was rough water between islands. Waves were choppy and about 4' - 5' with white caps. You could see the current was going against the 25 knot wind. I was on a smooth 52' Cat but thought a 32' sailboat would have a challenge.

Do the trade winds keep the water choppy thru the Caribbean?

Sent from my SM-G360V using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
tuffr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-10-2015, 08:07   #55

Boat: Cruisers Yachts 420 Express
Send a message via ICQ to jeremiason Send a message via Yahoo to jeremiason Send a message via Skype™ to jeremiason

This is like asking which anchor should you buy....

Boat owners and users have their favorites, tend to stick with those boats and seldom change their minds.

I have owned three Catalinas (27, 36 and 47). I sailed all three in Northern California and the winds of San Francisco Bay.

The 47 took us on a 3 year, 10,000 mile cruise from San Francisco to Florida via the Panama Canal, which no major break downs.

I also taught for a US Sailing School on the SF Bay and used Beneteau, Hunters and Jeanneaus. I did a couple of deliveries on Hunters and Beneteaus as well.

Overtime, I have found that each boat has it's good and bad points. Mostly my complaints with Hunter, Beneteau and Jeanneau are in the design of their vessels.

When it came down to selecting my current boat, I decided that Catalina consistently gives you the most cabin space and was best built boat for the price (All sizes). After I visited the factory I was confident that the C-470 was built for ocean crossings.

MY RECOMMENDATION:
I would suggest you go out a Charter several boats in your price range and decide which one fits YOUR needs.

Good luck!

jeremiason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-10-2015, 08:10   #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
Boats are like everything else, some are more sturdily built than others, but is this sturdiness comes at a cost and is it required?

In my opinion a strong argument could be made that you need a "blue water" boat for the Caribbean about as much as you need a four wheel drive SUV to run to the grocery store in South Fl. Just like the SUV's you see so many of, these high end boats are more of a status thing than a requirement, for the Caribbean. You may be better off saving your money and spending it else where than on a "blue water" boat.

robert sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-10-2015, 10:23   #57

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post

Use that saved money for more Tiki Bar excursions!
Old 14-10-2015, 10:51   #58

Boat: Catalina 387

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Walsh View Post
Would you know if WM also carries "Add Creak"? There's this one guy about 6 slips from me.............
A few crickets tossed through an open hatch could have the same effect you're looking for.

jeepbluetj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-10-2015, 11:25   #59

Boat: 2018 Seadoo GTX 230

I am happy to know that a Hunter or Catalina will be the appropriate boat to use from Florida to Bahamas and Caribbean and back. Actually excited. For us in the east we are lucky to have such a close great sailing area. From what I have read from people that did a lot of research and have experience on mutiple boats thanks a ton. I will lean toward Catalina but if I see any a nice clean used boat it does not really matter which one of is.

I did enjoy reading all the responses. Now to do the leg work.

Again thanks to everyone that responded.

Sent from my SM-G360V using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
tuffr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-10-2015, 11:42   #60
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Just get a GOOD survey, seems surveyors specialize, find one that is knowledgeable on the boat your looking at.
Once you sort of find the boat brand you like, find the user group for that boat, they are often extremely knowledgeable
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Caribbean, catalina, hunter, rib, sail