Cruisers Forum
 


Join CruisersForum Today

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-01-2018, 17:40   #46
Moderator
 
JPA Cate's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: aboard, cruising in Australia
Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop
Posts: 12,844
Re: Hunter - Blue-water or not?

It may depend on the time when the particular Hunter was built, and what kinds of beefing up have been done. El Pinguino has reported seeing some in Chile.

Here's another thread that may be of interest: Low Tide sitting on keel ?

Ann
__________________

__________________
Who scorns the calm has forgotten the storm.
JPA Cate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2018, 17:47   #47
Senior Cruiser
 
Sailmonkey's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Houston
Boat: '76 Allied Seawind II, 32'
Posts: 6,350
Re: Hunter - Blue-water or not?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Want2cruz View Post
Speaking of masts, are the masts in boats of this class stepped to the keel or to the deckhouse? I see the posts (often in a wood casing), but is that just a column taking the mast's downforce to the keel, or is a unitary extension of the mast?


What “class” of boat are you talking about?

There are keel stepped masts and deck stepped masts. Deck stepped almost always has a wood or metal compression post beneath the deck step to transfer load to the keel. Neither design makes a boat any more “bluewater” than the other.
__________________

Sailmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2018, 21:42   #48
Registered User

Join Date: Jan 2018
Posts: 58
Re: Hunter - Blue-water or not?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailmonkey View Post
What “class” of boat are you talking about?

There are keel stepped masts and deck stepped masts. Deck stepped almost always has a wood or metal compression post beneath the deck step to transfer load to the keel. Neither design makes a boat any more “bluewater” than the other.
As the subject of the thread deals with "Hunter" vessels, that is the class I refer to. Thank you for your response.
Want2cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2018, 22:28   #49
Registered User

Join Date: Mar 2016
Posts: 367
Re: Hunter - Blue-water or not?

I once used this analogy with someone asking me about sailing on Hunters (I raced on one, I bet we took first for most fun) and another in earshot totally agreed.

Compared to an offshore performance racer/cruiser sailing on that Hunter was like riding in a van through rolling, winding hills in bad weather vs cruising along in a 7 series BMW on the freeway.
sailorcherry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2018, 22:57   #50
Registered User

Join Date: Jan 2018
Posts: 58
Re: Hunter - Blue-water or not?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorcherry View Post
I once used this analogy with someone asking me about sailing on Hunters (I raced on one, I bet we took first for most fun) and another in earshot totally agreed.

Compared to an offshore performance racer/cruiser sailing on that Hunter was like riding in a van through rolling, winding hills in bad weather vs cruising along in a 7 series BMW on the freeway.
How do you see Catalinas in the 35 to 38' range for a Ca. to Hi transit, single-handed. As I recall, from day-sailing them 20 years ago out of MDR, CA, they are light and tall - good for light airs. Do you think they are substantial enough to make the passage.
Want2cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2018, 02:56   #51
Registered User
 
El Pinguino's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Somewhere in Patagonia
Posts: 4,421
Re: Hunter - Blue-water or not?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPA Cate View Post
It may depend on the time when the particular Hunter was built, and what kinds of beefing up have been done. El Pinguino has reported seeing some in Chile.

Here's another thread that may be of interest: Low Tide sitting on keel ?

Ann
A friend has a Hunter in Montt but I have never enquired how she got there.... she is 30 something foot... he only sails her locally.

This blog is probably worth reading ... from Vancouver until they sell her in Florida.. Sequitur
El Pinguino is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2018, 03:15   #52
Registered User
 
double u's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: Austria
Posts: 1,315
Re: Hunter - Blue-water or not?

Quote:
Originally Posted by robert sailor View Post
Your showing your age my friend like you I find the deeply swept spreaders to be a super pain in the butt when sailing down wind, you can never get your main out properly. I know it's cheaper to build them this way but for typical ocean cruisers the straight spreaders work best.
gentlemen, thank you for your highly valued opinion! combing the 2ndhand market so far I have not come across a boat younger than 10years with in-line spreaders (discussion just yesterday with the lady: "rather more expensive & younger versus older & cheaper" and "in-line spreaders" I had to add...
never actually having sailed swept-back spreaders myself I am expecting exactly that: "... a super pain in the butt when sailing down wind..."
unfortunately "the market" is going to take care of my objections...
(crap! I hoped somebody would write: "great, particularly downwind!")
__________________
...not all who wander are lost!
double u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2018, 03:23   #53
Registered User
 
double u's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: Austria
Posts: 1,315
Re: Hunter - Blue-water or not?

"...getting a marina birth..." - nearly had one in '90 but made it from Apooiti to raiatea hospital in time!
__________________
...not all who wander are lost!
double u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2018, 07:48   #54
Registered User

Join Date: Mar 2016
Posts: 367
Re: Hunter - Blue-water or not?

If I we're in your shoes I would be spending my time researching about singlehanders who raced their boats in the Transpac. That should give you better direction.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Want2cruz View Post
How do you see Catalinas in the 35 to 38' range for a Ca. to Hi transit, single-handed. As I recall, from day-sailing them 20 years ago out of MDR, CA, they are light and tall - good for light airs. Do you think they are substantial enough to make the passage.
sailorcherry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2018, 08:46   #55
Registered User

Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: new orleans
Boat: hunter 27, hunter 41
Posts: 120
Re: Hunter - Blue-water or not?

I have been sailing and owning hunters along with several other makes for over 30 years without any build quality issues, models from 1980 to 2008. They are production boats that check many of the boxes cruisers have . There are many high end boats that on a round the world cruise would be superior for much more $. However as said earlier their are many people doing this with production boats. The market place is the judge of what is quality/function and weither you are looking at builder a or b if the price is the same all things being equal the market perceives the boats being equal. I believe the run from central California to Hawaii is considered a "milk run" for much of the year and most any vessel over 24' can complete safely .
dakno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2018, 08:52   #56
Freelance Delivery Skipper..
 
boatman61's Avatar

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: PORTUGAL
Posts: 22,024
Images: 2
pirate Re: Hunter - Blue-water or not?

So.. we know they can and have done it.. tough conditions and good.. new question.!!!
Skipper.. Bluewater or not..???
Very often its the skipper who breaks the boat.. then blames the marque.
__________________


Born To Be Wild
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2018, 10:14   #57
Senior Cruiser
 
philiosophy's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: cruising New Zealand
Boat: 1980 Southern Cross 39
Posts: 58
Re: Hunter - Blue-water or not?

First of all you seem to be new at all this so while I wholeheartedly agree with Moondancer, you could save yourself a lot of headaches and money by crewing for somebody doing a crossing. By the way. Tgere are many instances of new production boats having serious problems with their rig. That is why they are classed as Coastal Cruisers as opposed to Blue Water boats.
There are also companies like Amanda and John Neil whom you can pay to do a crossing. Last thing...Take a good look at the rig of a Blue Water boat. Then take a look at a production Coastal Cruiser. My Southern Cross 39 has the same size rig as a 47’ Catalina only More of it.
philiosophy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2018, 10:35   #58
Registered User

Join Date: Jan 2018
Posts: 58
Re: Hunter - Blue-water or not?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorcherry View Post
If I we're in your shoes I would be spending my time researching about singlehanders who raced their boats in the Transpac. That should give you better direction.
So you have no opinion on Catalina's.
Want2cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2018, 10:36   #59
Registered User

Join Date: Jan 2018
Posts: 58
Re: Hunter - Blue-water or not?

Quote:
Originally Posted by philiosophy View Post
First of all you seem to be new at all this so while I wholeheartedly agree with Moondancer, you could save yourself a lot of headaches and money by crewing for somebody doing a crossing. By the way. Tgere are many instances of new production boats having serious problems with their rig. That is why they are classed as Coastal Cruisers as opposed to Blue Water boats.
There are also companies like Amanda and John Neil whom you can pay to do a crossing. Last thing...Take a good look at the rig of a Blue Water boat. Then take a look at a production Coastal Cruiser. My Southern Cross 39 has the same size rig as a 47’ Catalina only More of it.
Thanks.
Want2cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2018, 10:43   #60
Senior Cruiser
 
Sailmonkey's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Houston
Boat: '76 Allied Seawind II, 32'
Posts: 6,350
Re: Hunter - Blue-water or not?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Want2cruz View Post
Boats, please, not me. Not interested in your other opinions.


Here’s the rub though. Most of what is “Bluewater” in a boat is dependent on the person. An otherwise well found boat in the wrong hands can require rescue in a fresh gale. A highly skilled or or tenacious individual can take a hunk of trash across with knowledge and grit.

So really the “you” quotient is inseparable from the equation.

See this story as an example

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.the.../2003/may/23/3
__________________

Sailmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
hunter, water

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Hunter 27: Blue Water Capable? laxaholic Monohull Sailboats 47 22-01-2017 04:40
Hunter 27' : blue water/carrib island hopping worthy? Capt Darren Monohull Sailboats 14 18-08-2016 12:39
Comments on Hunter 42 passage, Hunter 45, hunter 45 cc, hunter 49 and 50 chucklet321 Monohull Sailboats 3 07-10-2012 13:19
Hunter 37.6 - Fit for Blue Water Cruising ? saltiepaw Monohull Sailboats 10 22-07-2010 14:12



Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 05:04.


Google+
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Social Knowledge Networks
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

ShowCase vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.