Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-08-2012, 14:53   #136
cruiser

Boat: Slocum 37
Re: Hunter 54 - Thoughts?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Lucas View Post
my ignore list appears to be interfering with my reading enjoyment
The reason I'm on your ignore list is because you still can't answer my questions.

RT
vtcapo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 15:03   #137
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by tropicalescape View Post
This almost makes Cherubini appear to be a, not so good designer,for the record I belive the boats he designed for his own company are some of if not (my opinion) the best sailboats for ocean crossing...I fined the 44 to be very much the cats whiskers...DVC
It's almost like an award winning novelist who sells his book rights to some Hollywood Studio and they butcher his story.

Cherubini's designed for his own company are a world apart from a Cherubini made by Hunter. But we all know that.

RT
PS And that's not to say there are some good Cherubini designed Hunters out there....
Old 07-08-2012, 15:54   #138

Boat: Alden 50, Sarasota, Florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by vtcapo View Post
The reason I'm on your ignore list is because you still can't answer my questions.

RT
constant repetition doesn't make it so; just boring.

I think it's apparent we know what you want to hear (although "why" is telling)- you are totally correct and everybody else is wrong.
You win - the prize isn't enviable though
S/V Illusion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 16:22   #139

Boat: C&C 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by skipmac View Post
Open transom: wave washes in, wave washes out
Call me crazy but, because of this, I have thought of an open transom for an Ocean Boat (not to far offshore)! You would just have to make sure your always tied down to the boat.....
CnC40sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 17:39   #140

This is interesting. Latitude 38 - West Coast Circumnavigators' List

Bavaria 50 Cruiser
SimonV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 18:51   #141
Marine Service Provider

Boat: command yachtsdouglas32

Is the Hunter 54 in that long,list..
tropicalescape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 20:06   #142

Quote:
Originally Posted by tropicalescape View Post
Is the Hunter 54 in that long,list..
I don't know, I got a head ache looking through it. But I did notice it was full of boats that cant cross oceans. and that was just from the west coast of USA.

Bavaria 50 Cruiser
SimonV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 04:25   #143
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by S/V Illusion View Post
constant repetition doesn't make it so; just boring.

I think it's apparent we know what you want to hear (although "why" is telling)- you are totally correct and everybody else is wrong.
You win - the prize isn't enviable though
Illusion you should know that playing the devils advocate is far more exciting in a debate particularly when the opposition doesn’t know what they are talking about. It’s like actors; they relish the part of the bad guy because it’s far more interesting.

As you can see by SimonV’s list of circumnavigators, sailors will take a teacup across an ocean and get away with it. Fate on the other hand will take a boat perfectly designed for ocean voyages straight to Dave Jones.

The fact is we have different perspectives on what we consider to be a Blue Water Boat. It’s not about winning; it’s about telling it like it is.

RT
PS Where would this thread be if I didn’t shake it up? Now THAT would be boring….
Old 08-08-2012, 05:25   #144

Boat: Alden 50, Sarasota, Florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by vtcapo View Post
PS Where would this thread be if I didn’t shake it up? Now THAT would be boring….
so now you admit you saying things you don't believe! That wins another dubious prize. You add nothing to the debate.
S/V Illusion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 06:01   #145
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by S/V Illusion View Post
so now you admit you saying things you don't believe! That wins another dubious prize. You add nothing to the debate.
Maybe instead of devil's advocate I should have said Nemesis. I believe every word I said. What puzzles me is why someone who sails around in an Alden 50 defends the idea that the Hunter 54 with all its known design flaws is worthy of being considered a blue water boat?

Can these flaws be fixed, sure? Will it be worth all the money to address all the problems associated with Hunter's poor quality control as mentioned in Hunterowners.com., questionable.

Don't believe a word I say. But to ignore owner statements just shows that you are in obstinate denial. I'd quit sulking over your lost cause and re-access your position....

RT
Old 08-08-2012, 07:21   #146

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Knutson K-35 Yawl "Oh Joy" - Mariner 31 Ketch "Kahagon" - K-40 "Seasmoke" - 30' Sloop "Baccus"

You guys are funny. Would I take an H-54 offshore cruising? Bet yer ass I would and I'd be at the very best anchorage long before most of ya had the chance to get there and pick a spot.
CharlieCobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 07:24   #147
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieCobra View Post
You guys are funny. Would I take an H-54 offshore cruising? Bet yer ass I would and I'd be at the very best anchorage long before most of ya had the chance to get there and pick a spot.
Aaaa... In sight of land right?

RT
Old 08-08-2012, 08:11   #148
CF Adviser

Boat: 14 meter sloop
Quote:
Originally Posted by ctl411
Bash stop putting facts and first hand knowledge in a Hunter fight, it ruins the fun.
I've been reported to the mods for doing this in the past.

These threads always amaze me. Some dude with 19' of waterline and a pintle-and-gudgeon rudder claims a 54-footer isn't safe to take offshore because of its open cockpit. The same guy who calls Hunters "dockominiums" complains that the H54 is too narrow and doesn't have enough interior room. Sheesh.

People need to understand that when you slag a boat you've never sailed you're broadcasting more about your own shortcomings than about those of the boat.

I'll tell you what--if anyone else on this thread had actually sailed an H54, he'd be talking about how unbelievably high they point, not about how scary the cockpits are.
Old 08-08-2012, 17:03   #149

You know, I really thought I was done w/ this thread, but bash has pulled me back in, shame on me.
"I'll tell you what--if anyone else on this thread had actually sailed an H54, he'd be talking about how unbelievably high they point, not about how scary the cockpits are."
If pointing was the mark of a good ocean cruiser then we'd all be sailing bullets with few creature comforts and a pretty wet ride.
I must admit, the H-54 I sailed in the Virgins in the early eighties was a pretty good sailing boat. In the Sir Francis Drake Channel!
The drawbacks, as I remember them, in order of most irritating, to least;
1) the dink space was like a drum all night when we were at anchor; VERY, Very noisy even a nearly flat anchorage.
2) pretty uncomfortable for 6 charter guests & a captain. Small cockpit, very small interior for a 54
1 again ) the dink space was like a drum all night when we were at anchor; VERY, Very noisy even a nearly flat anchorage..
3) one of the wettest 50 foot boats I think I've ever sailed
1 again ) the dink space was like a drum all night when we were at anchor; VERY, Very noisy even a nearly flat anchorage.
4) pretty squirley going down hill, but in all honesty, most of us were more used to sailing long keeled boats like the OI 41 or P-424, so if I'd continued to sail her, I'd probably have gotten better at it.
5) certainly not the best boat to back into a different slip every time you docked.
Seriously, the noise at night was horrendous & as a senior captain in the fleet, one charter was enough.
Remember all, the OP asked for thoughts on this specific boat as an ocean cruiser. All else on this thread seems to be something I just don't understand. Maybe a few of you should just "get a room".
capta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 19:26   #150

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Knutson K-35 Yawl "Oh Joy" - Mariner 31 Ketch "Kahagon" - K-40 "Seasmoke" - 30' Sloop "Baccus"

They are fast as hell and point real well. Flying an Assym takes a lot of the squirrely out of offwind work. Most modern boats are noisy at anchor which is why I like wood boats.
CharlieCobra is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hunter