Cruisers Forum
 


Join CruisersForum Today

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-08-2012, 08:30   #46
Senior Cruiser
 
Kenomac's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Somewhere in the Adriatic Sea
Boat: Oyster 53 Cutter
Posts: 8,518
Re: Hunter 54 - Thoughts?

I've heard of people going over Niagara Falls in a barrel and surviving.... 'just because they survived, doesn't mean that it was a good idea to do it.

The folks in the previous blog/link should also check their keel prior to departure... my 450 keel came off when the keel bolts corroded. It's well documented in Hunter forums, and a problem that was totally ignored by Hunter Marine. Hunter wouldn't even return my phone calls when it happened two years ago.

But I stand by my compliment, that Hunter makes an excellent dockside condo and day sailer. My wife loved the full-sized shower and queen sized bed., but was a nervous wreck whenever we encountered winds over 25 knots, even when triple reefed. I used to show off by sailing her back into the marina without the sails up, just on the freeboard alone... not exactly the kind of design feature you'd want on an ocean going vessel.
__________________

__________________
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 08:40   #47
Registered User
 
S/V Illusion's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Lakewood Ranch, FLORIDA
Boat: Alden 50, Sarasota, Florida
Posts: 1,693
Re: Hunter 54 - Thoughts?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenomac View Post
I've heard of people going over Niagara Falls in a barrel and surviving.... 'just because they survived, doesn't mean that it was a good idea to do it.

The folks in the previous blog/link should also check their keel prior to departure...

If the keel really "fell off", I'd attribute that to your choice of commissioning yard, not the manufacturer. I've read extensively in the Hunter forum and can't recall ever seeing "well documented" criticisms of keels falling off - can you cite a specific example or link to the thread to which you refer????????????????????????

My point was not to dismiss your or other opinions entirely; rather, to point out that ANY generality is ALWAYS a stupid thing to say in any context.
__________________

__________________
S/V Illusion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 08:44   #48
Registered User
 
CnC40sailor's Avatar

Join Date: May 2012
Location: West River, MD
Boat: C&C 40
Posts: 129
Quote:
Originally Posted by S/V Illusion
"in NO WAY was the 450 up to the task"

or was it?
Here is one example of a contemporary Hunter ocean sailing:

Sequitur

Yet another example of facts trumping perceptions.
Your own arguments contradict your own actions. If you felt hunters were so capable, then why would you spend 2-3 times as much on a hylas? After sailing that, you said the hunter was just as good, so why go ahead and spend money on a boat 3-4 times as much? That being your current boat, the Alden of course, but unless you like wasting money, your arguments don't make sense.
__________________
CnC40sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 08:52   #49
Registered User
 
SimonV's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Brisbane, Australia.
Posts: 1,316
Re: Hunter 54 - Thoughts?

There is so much BS going on here. If you want true knowledgeable critiques of the Hunter 54 go here SailboatOwners.com
__________________
Simon

https://svgoodonya.blogspot.com.au/
SimonV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 09:03   #50
Registered User
 
S/V Illusion's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Lakewood Ranch, FLORIDA
Boat: Alden 50, Sarasota, Florida
Posts: 1,693
Re: Hunter 54 - Thoughts?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CnC40sailor View Post
Your own arguments contradict your own actions. If you felt hunters were so capable, then why would you spend 2-3 times as much on a hylas? After sailing that, you said the hunter was just as good, so why go ahead and spend money on a boat 3-4 times as much? That being your current boat, the Alden of course, but unless you like wasting money, your arguments don't make sense.
Not that it's any of your business but we inherited the Hylas and traded both for the Alden in a deal no one could say no to.

Why are so skeptical of other people's experience and a different point of view as though yours must be the only valid one?
__________________
S/V Illusion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 09:06   #51
Registered User
 
CnC40sailor's Avatar

Join Date: May 2012
Location: West River, MD
Boat: C&C 40
Posts: 129
Quote:
Originally Posted by S/V Illusion
Not that it's any of your business but we inherited the Hylas and traded both for the Alden in a deal no one could say no to.

Why are so skeptical of other people's experience and a different point of view as though yours must be the only valid one?
I think I had a right to be curious about that. Now that it makes sense, I understand your argument better than I once did.
__________________
CnC40sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 17:22   #52
Senior Cruiser
 
Jim Cate's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: May 2008
Location: cruising SW Pacific
Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar
Posts: 11,471
Re: Hunter 54 - Thoughts?

Quote:
Originally Posted by S/V Illusion View Post
My point was not to dismiss your or other opinions entirely; rather, to point out that ANY generality is ALWAYS a stupid thing to say in any context.
If this statement was not meant as a joke... well, it is the best example of a self-cancelling pronunciation that I have ever seen!

If it was a joke, it worked... I laughed.

Jim
__________________
Jim and Ann s/v Insatiable II , lying Port Cygnet, Tasmania once again
Jim Cate is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 00:24   #53
Registered User
 
GaryMayo's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Branched Oak Yacht Club, Wife is an Admiral in the Nebraska Navy
Boat: Clipper Marine 32 CC Aft Cabin Ketch
Posts: 1,211
Hunter officially sold yesterday to the new owners.

Is my tin foil hat on backwards or has all the forums lately been running overtime to try to tarnish the image of Hunter in an effort to lower the value of the stock? Rumors in a public sale like this always bring prices lower.

Glad the sale is over now and the folly in the forums can now dry up.
__________________
W.I.B. Crealock when asked what he thought of the easily trailerable Clipper Marine sailboats by a naval design collegue, Gentelman Bill responded, "I am very proud of them".
www.clippermarine.org & www.clipper-sailor.net
GaryMayo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 00:47   #54
Registered User
 
CnC40sailor's Avatar

Join Date: May 2012
Location: West River, MD
Boat: C&C 40
Posts: 129
Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryMayo
Hunter officially sold yesterday to the new owners.

Is my tin foil hat on backwards or has all the forums lately been running overtime to try to tarnish the image of Hunter in an effort to lower the value of the stock? Rumors in a public sale like this always bring prices lower.

Glad the sale is over now and the folly in the forums can now dry up.
They went bankrupt for a reason. Maybe they can follow the American trend of going bankrupt to then making a fantastic product (think Chrysler, GM).
__________________
CnC40sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 11:53   #55
Registered User

Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 15
Re: Hunter 54 - Thoughts?

I am also posting looking for a Safe Coastal Cruiser in another thread. It concerns me of the bashing that someone receives when stating their opinion based on years of experience sailing, as well as personal experience in the boat in question. The last thing that I would want when asked for opinions of a boat, is my life and safety put at risk because someone failed, or was bullied into not giving their opinion based on their personal experience of that boat. This forum is based on opinions, some of those from actual experience, other from what someone reads. I hope and pray, when I make my decision, it is based on those with actual experience, and not some guy reading a mag sitting on a coach drinking a beer.
__________________
timc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 13:59   #56
Registered User

Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 147
Re: Hunter 54 - Thoughts?

In Training
Considering we're pretty much in a recession, it is a buyer's market for boats.
Long before you choose a boat, you are going to have to come up w/your requirements.
For me it was roller furling EVERYTHING & it has paid off handsomely! I can single hand my 53' ketch!
Secondly, I wanted a "real" bed, not a v-berth or bunk. Walk around & no custom linens.
A stand-up engine room was also necessary, as I do all that stuff myself & I'm too old to enjoy the contortionist thing any more.
Electric winches seemed like a good idea & have proved to be every bit as important as I had hoped.
Being a professional seaman, a real "bridge" was also very appealing; no rain squalls in foul gear, cursing the weather.
I got 4 of 5, which anyone who is knowledgeable about boats will tell you is pretty darn good. And I got my Pearson for $70k less than the asking price (way below your 150k)!
So figure out what you want to use the boat for, what you need, what you'd like to have & what you will settle for, then go looking for boats. All boats are a compromise, unless you have an unlimited budget AND the time to build.
Then after you've found several dozen with various features, do some research (the web works well for that, you know), and whittle down that number to a few. Go look at the few. Then make an offer....
I'm not going to give you a list of reputable boat manufacturers. Find the few, then email me if you want an honest opinion & I will do my best to help you.
Good luck. I love my lifestyle, most days anyway. Today isn't high on that list though, as tropical storm Ernesto is passing to the north & it's rainy & gloomy out & I don't have a bridge!
__________________
capta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 06:11   #57
Don't ask if you can't handle it
 
sailorboy1's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: On the boat somewhere
Boat: Hunter 410
Posts: 12,334
Re: Hunter 54 - Thoughts?

I only read page 2 just to see what was going on. I see the internet experts have been at it.

I'm starting to feel maybe the Hunter bashers are just experiencing boat envy and this is their way to address their personal problem!

As an ex Hunter basher, I can say I love my Hunter and would take it anywhere. Some of you people are just small close minded and need to get something better to criticize.
__________________
jobless, houseless, clueless, living on a boat and cruising around somewhere
sailorboy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 07:26   #58
Registered User
 
CharlieCobra's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: PNW
Boat: Knutson K-35 Yawl "Oh Joy" - Mariner 31 Ketch "Kahagon" - K-40 "Seasmoke" - 30' Sloop "Baccus"
Posts: 1,290
Re: Hunter 54 - Thoughts?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CnC40sailor View Post
They went bankrupt for a reason. Maybe they can follow the American trend of going bankrupt to then making a fantastic product (think Chrysler, GM).
They went bankrupt because of the two powerboat divisions that the parent company Luhrs, had that were under performing. Not because of the sailboat division.
__________________
CharlieCobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 07:48   #59
Registered User
 
micah719's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Somewhere in Germany
Boat: OEM, proportional
Posts: 1,439
Re: Hunter 54 - Thoughts?

Go to it, boys; unlike most, I like a spirited discussion! (This can be done without foul language or resorting to attacking the person rather than their argument.). Good thread!
__________________
Ps 139:9-10 If I take the wings of the morning, and dwell in the uttermost parts of the sea; Even there shall thy hand lead me, and thy right hand shall hold me.
micah719 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 07:49   #60
Registered User
 
S/V Illusion's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Lakewood Ranch, FLORIDA
Boat: Alden 50, Sarasota, Florida
Posts: 1,693
Re: Hunter 54 - Thoughts?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CnC40sailor View Post
They went bankrupt for a reason. Maybe they can follow the American trend of going bankrupt to then making a fantastic product (think Chrysler, GM).
Baseless implications like lack of quality have no place here.
__________________

__________________
S/V Illusion is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
hunter

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off




Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 13:36.


Google+
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Social Knowledge Networks
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

ShowCase vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.