Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 31-07-2012, 16:59   #31

Boat: C&C 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by S/V Illusion
But we all should expect people who give opinions base them on factual experience, not uninformed and untrue rumors as many here seem to perpetuate. It isn't asking much of someone who carelessly provides false information to at least preface it with some clue that it's only an opinion, not true.

I don't own a Hunter but used to have one (with a backstay). It was no better or worse than the hylas we recently sold or the Alden we currently own, both generally considered by the internet experts to be sound boats. I'd venture to say that people who actually know the differences react as I do and laugh at most of the absurd statements so forthcoming by some people here.
First, if you found the hunter to be equal to the hylas, which was many times more expensive than the hunter, then why would you venture out to Alden and pay out three times the cost of a comparable hunter?
I would advise you that believing you know all is a mistake in itself, in addition to that, refrain from talking in such a divisive manner.

Old 31-07-2012, 17:25   #32

Boat: C&C 34
Talking Re: Hunter 54 - Thoughts?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DDabs View Post
Typical thread, just looking for some quick info. I am looking at a few 1981-1983 Hunter 54's, seems like for a production Hunter it will do well crossing oceans. Any thoughts?
Great!!! Another HAG (Hunters, Anchors, Guns) thread. This'll keep us amused for days!!!

Old 31-07-2012, 17:29   #33

Boat: Alden 50, Sarasota, Florida
Re: Hunter 54 - Thoughts?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CnC40sailor View Post
First, if you found the hunter to be equal to the hylas, which was many times more expensive than the hunter, then why would you venture out to Alden and pay out three times the cost of a comparable hunter?
I would advise you that believing you know all is a mistake in itself, in addition to that, refrain from talking in such a divisive manner.

I don't know "all". I don't even know a little. But having had all three, it's a safe bet I probably know more than you.

As far as the civility lesson, it is both uncalled for and more than a bit ironic.
Old 31-07-2012, 17:52   #34

Boat: C&C 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by S/V Illusion

I don't know "all". I don't even know a little. But having had all three, it's a safe bet I probably know more than you.

As far as the civility lesson, it is both uncalled for and more than a bit ironic.
I apologize, it was just a case of paranoia on my part. Although it was due to the irony in which you refer to that caused the symptom. I thought that part of your statements refered indirectly to the other thread, which seems more likely seeing your most recent post.
Old 31-07-2012, 17:55   #35

Boat: S34 Bob Stewart - 1959 Patiki class. Re--built by me & good mate.

I investigated these boats after a postive sail. Kinda lost interest after reading some negative $hit. Loved the performance tho. Big SA/Displ.

ie They are noisy, from, I believe, untabbed bulkheads & could never get my head around scantlings with floating bulkheads & thin hull. Maybe just not to the deck I don't know. Ask Charlie - he has done majors on them.
Rudder is pretty far forward resulting in queer downwind motion.
Rudder post stiffeners need replacement/ reinforcement.
Narrow like a coffin.
Lite & bendy.
All from memory-M2CW seeing as there is a bit of non-cents in this thread.
Still, I'd love one to play with.
Old 31-07-2012, 18:23   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by lateral View Post
I investigated these boats after a postive sail. Kinda lost interest after reading some negative $hit. Loved the performance tho. Big SA/Displ.

ie They are noisy, from, I believe, untabbed bulkheads & could never get my head around scantlings with floating bulkheads & thin hull. Maybe just not to the deck I don't know. Ask Charlie - he has done majors on them.
Rudder is pretty far forward resulting in queer downwind motion.
Rudder post stiffeners need replacement/ reinforcement.
Narrow like a coffin.
Lite & bendy.
All from memory-M2CW seeing as there is a bit of non-cents in this thread.
Still, I'd love one to play with.

I'm puzzled that you described a 1 inch layup schedule at "thin" or "light and bendy"and more puzzled by the observation the boat you were on has untabbed bulkheads. Given some limited experience with boats most of the internet experts here would call superior by comparison, I find no difference in either respect compared with the H I owned. Did you ever own or work on one yourself?
Old 31-07-2012, 18:44   #37

Obviously you didn't read my post. No & no.
Sailed -liked. Studied rebuild projects of owners many moons ago, wasn't particular
enamoured with what I heard. Every one has their own comfort zone.
Once again M2CW- like the invisible backstay.
I don't actually recall getting the manufacturers hull specs but obviously
there is a relationship between no/strength/fixing of bulkheads/stingers and hull scantlings. You can't say the H54 is a heavily built boat.
Not hard to confirm on the Tabbing. Ask Charlie.
I do remember having questions that weren't answered and a picture of one that had hogged.
Horses for courses.
Old 31-07-2012, 18:50   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by lateral View Post
Obviously you didn't read my post. No & no.
Sailed -liked. Studied rebuild projects of owners many moons ago, wasn't particular
enamoured with what I heard. Every one has their own comfort zone.
Once again M2CW- like the invisible backstay.

I read it but thought there was more...
If I have time later, I'll Pm you some pictures of my "3/8 inch invisible backstay" which is quite clearly visible as is the glued and screwed tabbing and cores from the hull showing the layup thickness.

Didn't someone previously suggest we debate facts?
Old 31-07-2012, 19:12   #39

If you owned an h54 (not another Hunter) with 360' tabbed bulkheads. Then I accept I am mistaken. Not the first time.
Where does all the internal noise come from then? This is going back 8 yrs & perhaps they were not tabbed to the deck (tabbed to the hull) which accounted for the noise? Or, other furniture moving against hull.
Old 01-08-2012, 08:00   #40

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Knutson K-35 Yawl "Oh Joy" - Mariner 31 Ketch "Kahagon" - K-40 "Seasmoke" - 30' Sloop "Baccus"

Untabbed bulkheads? Really? It seems that every bulkhead we worked on when we restored an H-54 was well tabbed and a PITA to replace. The only untabbed bulkheads we saw were the longitudinal head ones. All of the transverse bulkheads were tabbed.
Old 01-08-2012, 08:46   #41

Boat: Pacific Seacraft 37

I once owned a 1987 Hunter 34, and I can tell you it was one of the worst boat owning experiences of my life. I would never again purchase a product made by that company! The structure of the hull was so flimsy that it would creak and seals everywhere would burst and leak. The installation of critical systems (ball valve seacocks anyone?) showed no concern for safety or longevity. Because of all of the flexing in the hull and the weak deck structure, the mast compressed the balsa deck necessitating huge repairs. What a disaster.

If you're looking for an older production boat, I would be much more likely to select a Beneteau, Jeanneau or even a Catalina. They are at least solidly built. Many of the Beneteau's are built with a grid system that at least maintains some structural rigidity. In my opinion, however, while good boats none of these were built with ocean sailing as the primary focus (which is fine, they had different intended uses, i.e. coastal sailing or the islands). Just my opinion.
Old 01-08-2012, 14:35   #42

Cool Re: Hunter 54 - Thoughts?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieCobra View Post
Untabbed bulkheads? Really? It seems that every bulkhead we worked on when we restored an H-54 was well tabbed and a PITA to replace. The only untabbed bulkheads we saw were the longitudinal head ones. All of the transverse bulkheads were tabbed.
Thanks for chiming in Charlie.
All around, 360 degrees?

When I said "They are noisy, from, I believe, untabbed bulkheads" It was from what I had gleaned from an owner. I don't ever recall him saying all the stations were untabbed.Which for the relatively light scantlings would be ridiculous. If all the bulkheads were untabbed
it would have to be a different design or the hull & deck would be thicker with laminated in stiffeners + stringers. All you need is no tabbing to the deck(mentioned earlier) but tabbed to the hull and a hard sailed boat & you will get noise unless their is the prescibed buffer to avoid a stress (hard) spot. Or other furniture rubbing against the hull/each other.
Anyhow I don't care. If one came up at the right price I'd be in 'cos I like the way they sail. And I am a glutton for projects. But they have escalated ($) to a point they don't appeal to me.The work has been done. I had a couple lined up around $50k 8yrs ago. But needed work.
Besides, now there is the 47.7 to chase.
Old 01-08-2012, 23:59   #43

Location: Branched Oak Yacht Club, Wife is an Admiral in the Nebraska Navy
Boat: Clipper Marine 32 CC Aft Cabin Ketch
2 posts, and one of them is saying Hunter is the Antichrist. How interesting. Knowing google indexes forums like these, why have you come here to plant a negative image of Hunter that can be searched on the Internet?

Hunter is for sale just now because of bankruptcy proceedings. Looks like a great way to make the stock worth less, by current postings in forums reading bad accounts of Hunter sailboats. Lots of forums all of a sudden have negative Hunter posts out of nowhere by new people.

Remember Evil Kenwvle? He wanted to jump a hotels fountain in Vegas. Every day he would call the hotel and ask when Evil was going to jump the fountain? The hotel had never heard of him. After a couple weeks of this, the hotel called a booking agent and booked Evil to jump the fountain.
Old 02-08-2012, 05:24   #44
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Oyster 53 Cutter

Our first large yacht was a 1998 Hunter 450 which worked out great as a dockside condo and for day sailing down the California coastline. We lived onboard five months of the year and enjoyed two years and hundreds of hours of sailing fun in the sun. So much did we like the Hunter, that my wife and I were encouraged to take the next step and sail offshore without restrictions.

So... The Hunter was sold and we purchased a boat that is up to the task, an Oyster 53. I don't feel as though I'm bashing Hunter Marine when I say that in NO WAY was the 450 up to the task of going offshore. The Hunter does a good job at what it is intended for.... Day sailing and coastal live aboard. No way could the boat we owned do well and keep us safe on longer ocean passages. On several occasions, I was on the Hunter overnight at anchor in 40-50 knot winds an maybe 6-7 foot choppy seas, and that boat was at it's limit, where I couldn't immagine actually sailing it in those conditions. When one heads out to sea for longer passages.... Stuff happens, storms can form right on top of you and you'll need to be prepared to deal with it.... You can't plan on calling for help.

Some folks do sail Hunters offshore and seem to be lucky at avoiding the storms..... My first night out on the Oyster, we were clobbered by a force 8 that was not in the forcast which we handled quite easily... The Hunter 450 would not have done well. On Wednesday we head south for an 1100 mile non stop offshore adventure which begins by crossing the Bay of Biscay off France... I would never attempt it on the Hunter.

My friend Ken gave me some good boating advice several years ago, buy an offshore boat that is designed to turn into a submarine at times when you least expect it, and can come up to the surface and take it over and over again. Also, the boat should be designed to hit a surface or submerged object without sinking.
Old 02-08-2012, 06:02   #45

"in NO WAY was the 450 up to the task"

or was it?
Here is one example of a contemporary Hunter ocean sailing:

Sequitur

Yet another example of facts trumping perceptions.

Tags
hunter

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: