Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 30-07-2012, 21:31   #16
Marine Service Provider

Boat: command yachtsdouglas32
Re: Hunter 54 - Thoughts?

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryMayo View Post
It is not my knowledge of any one model of sailboat that made me respond to this thread. What caught my eye was someone saying apples of one variety only make juice, in order to bake pies you need another kind of apple. Any apple will make a great pie in the hands of a great cook. One cook may prefer one apple, another may use what is available.

When an auto repair shop works on your car, does it matter what brand of tool box the tools are kept in?

I personally think when a Volvo goes down the road and a BMW driver sees it and says something bad about Volvo's, it does not show which car is better, it shows the mindset of the driver more than anything.
Red & Yellow Delicious apples will turn to mush if cooked, likewise some sailboats will turn to mush if mixed with "bluewater"...If you want a good apple for cooking get a mcintosh or grannysmith, likewise if you want a good bluewater boat get a Morris or a Cherubini...DVC

Old 30-07-2012, 21:47   #17

Boat: Hunter 33' "Redbeard"

Hunters of that vintage are quite different than anything you would charter today. prior to 1984 they were built by warren luhrs but designed by cherubini, i have never been on a 54, but i can attest that my 1980 33' is built much stronger than the new models. The new models are much thinner than the first generation. I would highly recommend a hunter built pre-1984. However there is always the guys with deep pockets that want to sit around the yacht club and boost their own ego by talking trash about older production boats. Any boat that is that old will need to be gone over with a fine toothed comb, but its not beyond its capabilities. There are several 37's of the same vintage that are in europe and scattered around the world, i can assure you shipping these boats there was not in a old hunter owners budget. Since you suggest chartering a hunter to test it out you obviously do not have a knowledge of the history of the product line. Next time you want to be a know-it-all maybe you should actually know it all.......

Old 30-07-2012, 21:56   #18
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cooper 416 Honeysuckle

I'll remind everyone that one of the requirements of enjoying Cruiser's Forum is that you be respectful of other members opinions and that you share your own in a manner that reflects that.

hummingway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2012, 08:47   #19

After some research, I have come to the conclusion that the H-54 I sailed in the early 80's was indeed the same vessel the OP was asking about. So, I'm trying to give the OP an honest idea of a boat I have sailed, no more, no less.
As for older boats, I'm sailing a 1981 Pearson.
For six years (1978-1984) I sailed many week long charters in the Virgin Islands aboard the most popular production boats of that era. Some were good, some were great, but unfortunately, most were not boats that I would recommend as ocean cruisers, if asked.
I do not understand the hostility some of you have toward my opinions. I am only trying to help with first hand experience opinions, not reviews I've read or second hand information. I do not give opinions about some guy's boat down the dock that he says is great, ONLY about boats I have sailed or worked on personally, period.
I am out here doing it, right now. We are anchored in Admiralty Bay, Bequia, watching the weather very closely, as there is a storm building to the east which may turn into a hurricane. My girlfriend is not getting me another beer from the fridge, as I punch out uninformed opinions and criticisms from my recliner.
If someone with over 50 years as a professional mariner and sailor is NOT the sort of person you all want giving advice & suggestions on this forum, I certainly can spend my time in other ways.
Old 31-07-2012, 09:18   #20

Boat: csy 44 tall rig.

I think the Op is thinking in a 1980 54 , i agree with the other poster if everything is beefed up and sound can be a terrific sexy sailing machine ,
here is a pic.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	3655177_0_20110615213749_1_0.jpg
Views:	493
Size:	43.2 KB
ID:	44219  
Old 31-07-2012, 10:08   #21

Boat: C&C 40

just a thought, considering crews with just families, Shannon yachts has more ocean miles than any other brand. Considering they sell less than 50 boats a year opposed to hunters thousands, I think that says enough about Hunter.
Im not saying Shannon is the boat to get, they do cost $$$$$, I think it just speaks volumes about what Hunters were designed for. I don’t hate hunter (although many on this forum would disagree) but I wouldn’t trust my life to one in an Ocean Storm.
Best of Luck to you in both your search and adventure!
Old 31-07-2012, 10:36   #22

Ok Capta. If you were buying a boat to sail across the gulf from us to bahamas and caribbean and you only had $150,000 to spend for a used one, what make, model, year would you be looking at that could be obtained for those funds.
This is for a husband and wife to live on for a several years.
Old 31-07-2012, 10:48   #23
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cooper 416 Honeysuckle

Quote:
Originally Posted by In Training View Post
Ok Capta. If you were buying a boat to sail across the gulf from us to bahamas and caribbean and you only had $150,000 to spend for a used one, what make, model, year would you be looking at that could be obtained for those funds.
I don't know if you've given some thought to the space but the beam is very narrow, for their size, on those boats. Actually it's narrow for a much smaller boat. You'd get more room on a smaller boat with a broader beam.

hummingway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2012, 10:55   #24

Boat: csy 44 tall rig.

Quote:
Originally Posted by In Training View Post
Dam for 150.000$$ you have a wide list of able boats to do that, hunters to, your question sounds wide to, what kind of boat your looking for?
Old 31-07-2012, 10:56   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by DDabs

Do you know anything about the Hunter 54? Because you sound like you don't. I have read that Hunter only produced 40 of that model, and they have one of the highest stability ratios for a monohull, which is why I'm asking.
You asked for criticism/peoples opinions on the boat. You cannot get mad when someone gives their thoughts on the boat, or else this thread has no true purpose.
Old 31-07-2012, 11:02   #26

There's a 43ft shannon 1988 for sale at 175.....bet you could find an 80 for under 150
Old 31-07-2012, 11:37   #27

Well, since Capta has all that experience, I really would like to know what the experienced sailers would get with the dollars I have.
That being said, we have to sell quite a few properties before we can cut ties so I expect it will be 2 years before we purchase and move to the coast. That gives me time to research.
We will be diving a lot and fishing a lot also, so will turn one of the bedrooms into storage for diving equipment, compressor, etc. Would prefer easy on and off the boat, so I like the newer boats with the steps in back.
Husband likes center console for larger sleeping quarters and he also likes cats, but they cost more than we will probably want to spend.
Just wanted some ideas from experienced sailers.
Old 31-07-2012, 12:15   #28

I looked into them about a year ago ... and I did not hear/read good things.

Whilst fast they are light, narrow and long, less living space than a modern 45, but with the mooring costs of a 54.

The rear dinghy storage required most modern dinghys to be partially deflated to fit.

And the build quality wasn't fantastic, with flexing and oil canning problems, as well as general "hull build ain't great" issues arising from 30 years of existence.

And, being of that age, all the systems and hardware were likely old and required replacement.

YMMV
Old 31-07-2012, 15:39   #29

Boat: Alden 50, Sarasota, Florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebel heart View Post
Make sure you inspect the back stay. Shouldn't take long.
That's a perfect example of the uninformed perceptions some carelessly reiterate on the internet showing only how little they actually know.

As has been described this and many other Hunters do have a backstay.
Old 31-07-2012, 15:41   #30

Boat: Alden 50, Sarasota, Florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by CnC40sailor View Post
You asked for criticism/peoples opinions on the boat. You cannot get mad when someone gives their thoughts on the boat, or else this thread has no true purpose.
But we all should expect people who give opinions base them on factual experience, not uninformed and untrue rumors as many here seem to perpetuate. It isn't asking much of someone who carelessly provides false information to at least preface it with some clue that it's only an opinion, not true.

I don't own a Hunter but used to have one (with a backstay). It was no better or worse than the hylas we recently sold or the Alden we currently own, both generally considered by the internet experts to be sound boats. I'd venture to say that people who actually know the differences react as I do and laugh at most of the absurd statements so forthcoming by some people here.

Tags
hunter

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: