Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-08-2009, 17:33   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pblais View Post
It's an important yet most significant point. The boats don't sail themselves. You could (if you knew how) sail a boat a whole lot smaller too. The exact size of the boat is more determined by all the crap you bring along (displacement). If you overload the boat then you just made a fatal mistake before you even left the dock.
Well the reason I was looking into boats that big is because I'm bringing along 2 other people and 2 dogs. So I need a boat that has room. No doubt I'm going to learn to sail a smaller boat first but I need a bigger boat to accommodate more people.
AndrewF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2009, 18:04   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bash View Post
...I would add that it's a huge mistake to purchase a monster boat until you've honed your skills on smaller boats. I don't care whether it's a Hunter 49 or a Beneteau 49, that's just too much boat for a rookie to handle.

(And please excuse my assumption that the question above is being asked by a rookie, but a seasoned navigator probably would not be asking it. So don't take offense, but if you don't know whether it's logical to sail from TX to the Caribbean on a Whatever 49, you're probably asking for trouble with a boat that size. A 49 footer is clearly the wrong boat to teach yourself how to anchor in a crowded cove, or how to pick up crew overboard, or.....)

Yea, ha ha I am a rookie. But I guess I didn't make this clear.( Not in a negative tone) I'm not planning on learning on a 49' boat. I was just asking about it for the future. I am going to learn on a small boat. i know I'm not ready to handle a boat that big. I agree that it's not a good boat to learn the basics but again I was just asking for the future. I appreciate all of your comments though.
AndrewF is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hunter