Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-04-2012, 08:42   #1

Boat: 1991 Californian 52CPMY
Hunter 42 for Offshore Work?

Hi all,

I am now boatless and looking for the next one. My wife looked at the older CSY 44 that I am so enthralled with and was less than enchanted. The C36 that we just sold was pretty perfect inside and out, so she would like something more along those lines in appearance/condition.

Trouble is, I am looking for something for cruising, including the pacific puddle jump. There are lots of really nice Hunters available, but I know that they are not held in high regard. Please give me some good arguments for or against such a boat. I know that many Catalina 42s make the jump with no issues.

Thanks, Bill
montenido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2012, 09:42   #2
CLOD

Boat: none
Re: Hunter 42 for Offshore Work?

try the search function, been there and done that

but sounds you are already starting with an assumption
Old 22-04-2012, 10:15   #3

Boat: 1991 Californian 52CPMY

Oops, I should have searched first. I realized that it is a well covered topic after posting.

Don, no real assumptions, I just know that Hunter/Catalina/Bene bashing seems to prevail on most forums. BTW, my wife loves the Passage 42, just from the pictures. I'll look at one tomorrow.

Cheers, Bill
montenido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2012, 02:35   #4

We LOVE our hunter 420! We researched many boats before making our purchase. We own a 2002 and have been very p,eased with its handling and creature comforts. We live in Florida and have taken our boat to the Bahamas and plan to go back next year. If you have any specific questions, just ask.
TootsSea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2012, 04:34   #5

Boat: Alden 50, Sarasota, Florida

My suggestion is to stop listening to internet experts, many of which reside here. Lots of Hunters, Catalinas and Bennys have sailed around the world. There is a current blog on SBO.com of one H45 which just transited the Horn and is currently in S America after having experienced only two problems, a broken windlass and a torn sail fitting, both unrelated to the boat manufacturer. By the way, I'm not an internet expert but I did sail throughout the Pacific and saw every imaginable boat there is and they all had maintenance issues. Every one!
S/V Illusion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2012, 05:15   #6

Do you have a link to that thread Illusion? I am unable to find the report and would be fascinated to read the account.
annk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2012, 05:22   #7

Boat: Teak Yawl, 37'

You could consider that one important function of your boat is a safety function. It's job is to keep you floating and the water out.

Now imagine that each boat type can sustain different level of punishment and still keep the rig up and ultimately the water out. Each level is determined by virtue of how it is designed, construction details, and how it is outfitted.

Clearly, a stout boat purpose built for heavy weather will hold up better in storm conditions than a more lightly built less expensive boat.

If you never sail into heavy weather then there is no issue a lightly built boat will function perfectly fine.

You may consider that Mother Nature can be incredibly unforgiving. Consequently, when I am in the middle of all hell breaking loose I would want to be in a stout craft. The nature of my craft determines the probability of my survival. Less strong, lightly built, a higher probability that I go in the liferaft.
LakeSuperior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2012, 05:51   #8
CLOD

Was that some unspoken boat trashing in the post by an internet expert?

I would take my Hunter anywhere I woud be willing to take any other non-metal boat, like say an old Mason.
Old 24-04-2012, 06:32   #9

Boat: Seaward 22

I'll preface by saying I'm not a Hunter fan. However, some of the bashing is not warranted. True Hunters are not heavily built. They are built for a purpose and serve it pretty well.

Many lesser boats have been around the world. I would not hesitate to do the Pacific puddle jump on a well found Hunter. It wouldn't be my first choice, but then I'm not a fan .

Fair winds in your boat search.
ohdrinkboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2012, 06:42   #10

Boat: ex-Tartan 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by annk View Post
Do you have a link to that thread Illusion? I am unable to find the report and would be fascinated to read the account.
I'm not Illusion, but this may be the blog he's referring to: Sequitur
S/V Sapphire Tartan 40 #71

tartansail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2012, 06:58   #11
CLOD

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohdrinkboy View Post
I'll preface by saying I'm not a Hunter fan. However, some of the bashing is not warranted. True Hunters are not heavily built. They are built for a purpose and serve it pretty well.

Many lesser boats have been around the world. I would not hesitate to do the Pacific puddle jump on a well found Hunter. It wouldn't be my first choice, but then I'm not a fan .

Fair winds in your boat search.
The built for purpose is to be a sail boat! The boat being asked about is not a lightly built boat.

It is NOT true that all Hunters are lighly built boats. This is a statement generally found on internet forums by people who don't have any experience with the modern Hunters; normally because they read it from some other internet poster with the same experience.
Old 24-04-2012, 07:18   #12

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.

I agree there is a lot of Hunter bashing. As stated above, they are noted for there comfortable interiors. As well as the Hunter bashers, there is an equal amount of folks who claim they would not hesitate to take theirs offshore...but don't. However, you mentioned that your wife liked the Passport. That is a true offshore vessel.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2012, 07:33   #13
CF Adviser

Boat: 14 meter sloop

There are several Hunters currently making the Puddle Jump, including a 42. No different from any other year.
Old 24-04-2012, 07:40   #14

Boat: Seaward 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Lucas View Post
The built for purpose is to be a sail boat! The boat being asked about is not a lightly built boat.

It is NOT true that all Hunters are lighly built boats. This is a statement generally found on internet forums by people who don't have any experience with the modern Hunters; normally because they read it from some other internet poster with the same experience.

I never said they were lightly built, just said they were not heavily built. Gunboat catamarans are not heavily built as well. Not heavily built does not mean it is not a quality product.

I would suspect that Open 60 boats are not heavily built. However they can take one hell of a beating.

Weight does not equal quality.
ohdrinkboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2012, 07:45   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Lucas View Post

Here,hereA truer word is not spoken. If every one listened to the naysayers Who seem to be either extremely well off with the best and newest or the very worst, being the arm chair boat bagging want to be cruiser wishing they had half the boat they so knowledgeably criticize. We would all be sailing 20 foot somethings around our own safe pond not venturing outside. But then for the few that can and do cruise in all manner of these unsuitable death traps that have been built by those incredulous production companies, or boats to old and out dated should be cut up and burried at the tip. Well my boat is a production boats more than 35 years young, and averages 6000 SEA miles per year. The two boats I buddy boat with on our adventures are both Hunters, a passage 42 (La Scandel)and a hunter 47 (Fearless Hunter) and if I was in the market for a newer boat I would bu happy with a Hunter, Bendy,Catalina, Bev,Jenny of and production boat in the 40 plus size.

Bavaria 50 Cruiser
SimonV is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hunter, offshore