Join CruisersForum Today

Old 24-04-2012, 13:38   #31
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Beneteau FIRST 42
Re: Hunter 42 for Offshore Work?

Quote:
Originally Posted by LakeSuperior View Post
Technically I didn't say you couldn't make an ocean passage without encountering heavy weather. And you are correct in that there are a number of strategies and opportunities for avoiding bad weather.

I don't think you can win this one however. For example, you might try to explain this to the skippers and crew heading for the Caribbean last fall that had to be airlifted off.
Thats the great part about cruising.. I'm not accountable for those that put themselves in harms way, or have the lack of knowledge or forsite to prepair and carry out a safe crossing.. Hunters Rule!!!!!!!!!!

Old 24-04-2012, 13:52   #32

Boat: Teak Yawl, 37'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randyonr3 View Post
Thats the great part about cruising.. I'm not accountable for those that put themselves in harms way, or have the lack of knowledge or forsite to prepair and carry out a safe crossing.. Hunters Rule!!!!!!!!!!
I'm sure you save lots of $$ by not purchasing safety equipment. If everyone one had it together like you we wouldn't need the Coast Guard and could get by with inexpensive construction and materials for our yachts.

Cheers!

Old 24-04-2012, 14:09   #33

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Lippincott 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackdale View Post
Sorry

Try using the advanced search tools for this thread to search a username.

Sudden Attraction to Hunters
Thanks. I read your list, copied here. Please comment if you think my thoughts are not correct.

1) Floorboards are loose- this seems to be the most serious issue, depending on the cause. Was it due to oilcanning or other flexing or just not affixed properly?

2) Berths unsleepable underway- installing lee cloths should take care of this. Or?

3) Arch mounted traveller awkward- is this a preference or are there any safety issues?

4) Cockpit enclosure (a popular option) makes deck access awkward- guess if designed differently, that could be fixed. This is an after-market issue is it not?

5) In mast furling - I just do not like the system- yeah, I can't quite see using these anywhere outside of nice, sunny day 2.5 miles from shore.

6) Insufficient handholds below- in your opinion, can these be relatively easily be added?

7) Front opening fridge ( I have seen ones that work; they have large lips on the shelves.)-not sure if there is any fix for that

8) Unsafe galley; no harness and no way to wedge yourself in.- surely one can install a harness here?
Old 24-04-2012, 14:23   #34
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
I'm sure you save lots of $$ by not purchasing safety equipment. If everyone one had it together like you we wouldn't need the Coast Guard and could get by with inexpensive construction and materials for our yachts.

Cheers!
Now why would you come up with some stupid remark like that.. Where in Hell did you get the idea that I dont carry safety equeptment..
I sometimes think that most of these arm chair sailors here have an IQ of less than 60.
What started out as a question about Hunters has developed into safety equeptment and the Coast Guard...
and as far as having it together......... you should have it together..
what a bunch of Friggin idots.............
Old 24-04-2012, 14:49   #35
DWJ

Boat: 2007 Hunter 49

I've never quite understood the vary typical question "is this boat (insert name of builder) good for offshore work"
Really? If you even have to ask that question then you really need a lot more experience. An experienced skipper will be able to walk through any boat and know what will work and won't based on their own experience offshore including their own ability to fix and modify to their own preference and budget. After 30 years of sailing I have never seen the perfect boat.
So here we have the question that has taken 3 pages of posts that has degenerated (as they typically do) to bashing and will never answer the question.
Old 24-04-2012, 16:03   #36
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randyonr3 View Post
But you are required to come to their assistance when they issue a distress.
ASA 201, 203,204, 205, 206, 214
As I sail, I praise God, and care not. (Luke Foxe)
jackdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2012, 16:16   #37
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by avb3 View Post
Thanks. I read your list, copied here. Please comment if you think my thoughts are not correct.

1) Floorboards are loose- this seems to be the most serious issue, depending on the cause. Was it due to oilcanning or other flexing or just not affixed properly?
The floorboards are not properly affixed. This can be remedied.

Quote:

2) Berths unsleepable underway- installing lee cloths should take care of this. Or?
Yes lee clothes can be added to the sides, but a double mattress prevents one down the middle. Only one person can sleep under way. Attachments points for the lee cloth cords need to be installed.

Quote:

3) Arch mounted traveller awkward- is this a preference or are there any safety issues?
A preference. I am not opposed to all arch mounted travellers. The arch mounted traveller on the Saga 409 is easier to adjust.

Quote:

4) Cockpit enclosure (a popular option) makes deck access awkward- guess if designed differently, that could be fixed. This is an after-market issue is it not?
An after market issue commonly seen on Hunters, Catalina's and few other. I like dodgers and stowable biminis.

Quote:

5) In mast furling - I just do not like the system- yeah, I can't quite see using these anywhere outside of nice, sunny day 2.5 miles from shore.
I have had problems with them in the past. I like a simple slab reefing system with stowable lazy jacks.

Quote:

6) Insufficient handholds below- in your opinion, can these be relatively easily be added?
They could be added, but would likely need backing plates.

Quote:

7) Front opening fridge ( I have seen ones that work; they have large lips on the shelves.)-not sure if there is any fix for that

8) Unsafe galley; no harness and no way to wedge yourself in.- surely one can install a harness here?
Harnesses can be installed. But I do not favour wide open galleys.

If a boat is meant for passages, these items would be standard as they are with some other manufacturers.

There probably is no boat that all would agree is prefect, but I have sailed some with more effective designs. Off shore boats and coastal boats have different forms to meet their different functions.
ASA 201, 203,204, 205, 206, 214
As I sail, I praise God, and care not. (Luke Foxe)
jackdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2012, 16:16   #38
Don't ask if you can't handle it

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Hunter 410

Quote:

Cheers!
Not that it has anything to do with the topic, but I think you just wiped out any good points you may have made on the thread
Old 24-04-2012, 16:27   #39

Boat: Hallberg Rassy 35. and 14ft.Whitehall pulling skiff.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Lucas View Post
Not that it has anything to do with the topic, but I think you just wiped out any good points you may have made on the thread
There were good points on this thread?
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"

http://wwwjolielle.blogspot.com/
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2012, 17:33   #40
Don't ask if you can't handle it

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Hunter 410

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celestialsailor View Post
There were good points on this thread?
Yes! I clicked myself be mistake on a reply and found out there's an option to put myself on my ignore list.
Old 24-04-2012, 17:39   #41

Boat: C&C 34

Quote:
Was that some unspoken boat trashing in the post by an internet expert?

I would take my Hunter anywhere I woud be willing to take any other non-metal boat, like say an old Mason.
A little defensive are we?
Old 24-04-2012, 17:56   #42
CF Adviser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 14 meter sloop

Quote:
I have taken one into blue water. I would never do it again unless the boat was modified extensively.
Floorboard latches, leecloth attachment points, and a bungee to keep the fridge from opening. These are extensive modifications?

Honestly, it takes me longer to take a shower than it did to install the leecloth attachment points on my first Hunter. And we didn't even bother with it on the second Hunter because we sleep in the aft cabins during passages, and they are really not needed back there. A pillow suffices for those of us who feel comfortable enough offshore not to need to be tethered in bed.

Both the Hunters I've owned have L-shaped galleys with plenty of bracing points, and extensive hand holds. We had our canvass maker build a galley harness for 20 bucks back in 1998, but we've never felt the need to use it on either boat.

It's beyond me how any able-bodied sailor could find the traveler arch "awkward" to use. Is this a serious concern? For someone with all those Yachtmaster certifications? On my current boat I adjusted the placement of the jam cleats to clear space for a set of spinnaker winches, but it was only a matter of drilling and tapping eight holes. Certainly less than a hour's work.

The other concerns expressed, such as in-mast furling and cockpit enclosures, are ludicrous. In-mast furling is a factory option, no different than on any production boat manufactured today, and cockpit enclosures, WHICH MOST HUNTERS DON'T HAVE, are an after-market option.

You'd think a sailing instructor would know that.
Old 24-04-2012, 19:02   #43
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
But you are required to come to their assistance when they issue a distress.
Only if and I say if, I feel I wouldnt be putting myself, my crew, and my boat in danger.. If I have to enter bad water due to the stupity of someone else, forget it, you are on your own..
and now back to HUNTERS..
Old 24-04-2012, 19:25   #44
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

Quote:
Technically I didn't say you couldn't make an ocean passage without encountering heavy weather. And you are correct in that there are a number of strategies and opportunities for avoiding bad weather.
Maybe it is an issue of semantics but you referred to "all hell breaking loose". I would only use that terminology to refer to really bad, approaching survival mode, use a drogue, kind of weather. That kind of weather you can avoid, even on long passages by the techniques I mentioned before: choose the right season, avoid high latitudes, pay attention to the forecasts.

Quote:
I don't think you can win this one however. For example, you might try to explain this to the skippers and crew heading for the Caribbean last fall that had to be airlifted off.
Didn't know this was a contest and there was some prize at stake. It's not a matter of winning, just expressing my opinions based on a few years of sailing and a few miles offshore.

Regarding the fall trips to the Caribbean, that is not a perfectly safe time of year to go offshore. It's the best time to go if you are trying to leave before winter storms but when the risk of hurricanes is lower, but neither is zero. Happens every couple of years or so, either a late season tropical storm or an early season Nor'easter, or sometimes both (ever read the Perfect Storm?) hit the boats heading to the Caribbean from the northeast. Southbound in the fall is what I would call a calculated risk, but in no way is it risk free. You are rolling the dice and sometimes you roll snake eyes.

This is a trip that I would make sure I was in a well prepared boat because it is a time and place where probabilities of survival mode storms could hit with short notice.
Old 24-04-2012, 19:28   #45
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

Quote:
Yes! I clicked myself be mistake on a reply and found out there's an option to put myself on my ignore list.
And what was you decision?

Tags
hunter, offshore

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: