Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-04-2015, 19:24   #1

Hunter 36 Seaworthiness

Hi! My husband and I are new to the site snd are seriously looking at several hunters around 35-37 to live aboard and sail from the mainland to the Bahamas and all though the Caribbean (south of Puerto Rico). Do these boats handle long trips well? Are they sea worthy and capable of a such trip compared to some other manufacturers?
lrainmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2015, 19:29   #2

Boat: Bristol 47.7
Re: Hunter 36 Seaworthiness

OK, who wants to go first?

Exile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2015, 19:31   #3

I was going to chime in with "good enough" but you beat me to it.
Island Time O25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2015, 19:33   #4

Boat: 2017 Jeanneau 519

not trying to be rude but if your are new to the site welcome goto the search and type in Hunter and you will get more then you can read. 1 good idea is goto the Hunter owner form.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
scuba0_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2015, 21:31   #5

Boat: Hunter 2003 356 - Persistence

We have a 2003 Hunter 356 with 7500 nautical miles on it. We are very well equipped with generator, KVH tracking Antenna and all the electronics, radar, sonar, AIS. Very good boat at sea and at port. Most of your time is at port, so get a comfortable boat.

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
J Clark H356 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2015, 22:01   #6
cruiser

As the former owner of a Hunter 450, I can say the boats you're looking at will be good for the cruising you intend to do. We had our boat based in Long Beach, CA and sailed it up and down the California coastline and out to the Channel islands. Island hopping and coastal cruising is what the Hunters excel at. Enjoy.

35ft however, is a little tight for living aboard for extended periods. You may want to look at some 40 footers.
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2015, 04:12   #7
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, Irainmaker.

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2015, 04:47   #8

Jclark and kenomac thank you for the encouraging words and advice. Appreciate the help and we will look at some 40s..

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
lrainmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2015, 05:17   #9

Boat: Taswell 49 Cutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenomac View Post
As the former owner of a Hunter 450, I can say the boats you're looking at will be good for the cruising you intend to do. We had our boat based in Long Beach, CA and sailed it up and down the California coastline and out to the Channel islands. Island hopping and coastal cruising is what the Hunters excel at. Enjoy.

35ft however, is a little tight for living aboard for extended periods. You may want to look at some 40 footers.

Kenomac,

What years were you cruising there ? We started in San Pedro in 1985 and through 2005. Do you remember the Memorial Day storm at Catalina in '87 ?
Ericson38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2015, 05:26   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

All boats have limitations, if you acknowledge that and stay within those limits, you'll be fine in any boat.
I almost bought a Hunter, a 356, but really liked the layout of the 386 a lot better as in it you could walk around the bed, and I think you could get to the head directly from the stateroom in the 386, but had to go through the salon on the 356?

We looked at newer 36's too, but I couldn't get over the fake wood floor of the newer boats, the real wood looked so much better to me.

Hunter's niche is in my opinion a good "starter" boat, meant for weekend and near coastal sailing, and there they do fine, but since you asked, they are not considered as sea worthy and as capable as some other manufacturers, but acknowledge that and plan accordingly and you will be fine
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2015, 06:17   #11

Boat: Morgan Moorings 50

Big fan of the Hunter Legend 35. Ours had the deep 6'6" keel and that thing was a beast to sail. A lot of people on these forums seem to bash Hunters, so be aware of that.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
DDabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2015, 09:41   #12
RTB

Boat: Hunter 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenomac View Post

Just depends on the person, I guess? We've lived aboard and been cruising our Hunter 36 since August of 2012. Not to small for us. Any yes, the boat is great for the OP's purpose. Mind you, not all Hunter 36's are the same. Ours is a 1982 Cherubini 36. Even more room in the newer models, I imagine.

Click image for larger version

Name:	map.jpg
Views:	561
Size:	45.8 KB
ID:	101234

Ralph
RTB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2015, 10:27   #13

Boat: temporarily boatless...

To the OP: you probably weren't aware of the can of worms you were opening. Don't worry about it.

I spent a number of years sailing a a H36. It is a very good coastal cruising boat, and I made many gulf stream crossings with it, including some pretty snarly ones. I would have no problem sailing it on offshore voyages of a few days. The real problem with Hunter for longer voyages is tankage (water and fuel). That shouldn't be an issue in the range that you described.

If the s&*t hit the fan, would I rather be on a boat with a full keel, backstays, etc? Yes. But you can avoid that mostly. Your main exposure will be sudden squalls, and I have been through many of those on a H36 with no problem. And as I said, if conditions got REALLY bad and I had my choice, I would be on something else. But that's not to say the Hunter wouldn't come through just fine. It probably would (if well maintained).

For your purposes, it will be a fine boat.

Pete
pete33458 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2015, 11:01   #14
RTB

Boat: Hunter 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by pete33458 View Post
To the OP: you probably weren't aware of the can of worms you were opening. Don't worry about it.

I spent a number of years sailing a a H36. It is a very good coastal cruising boat, and I made many gulf stream crossings with it, including some pretty snarly ones. I would have no problem sailing it on offshore voyages of a few days. The real problem with Hunter for longer voyages is tankage (water and fuel). That shouldn't be an issue in the range that you described.

If the s&*t hit the fan, would I rather be on a boat with a full keel, backstays, etc? Yes. But you can avoid that mostly. Your main exposure will be sudden squalls, and I have been through many of those on a H36 with no problem. And as I said, if conditions got REALLY bad and I had my choice, I would be on something else. But that's not to say the Hunter wouldn't come through just fine. It probably would (if well maintained).

For your purposes, it will be a fine boat.

Pete
So your answer to the OP is....yes....or no? Kinda hard to tell.

Ralph
RTB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2015, 11:12   #15

Boat: Bristol 47.7

Quote:
Originally Posted by RTB View Post
Just depends on the person, I guess? We've lived aboard and been cruising our Hunter 36 since August of 2012. Not to small for us. Any yes, the boat is great for the OP's purpose. Mind you, not all Hunter 36's are the same. Ours is a 1982 Cherubini 36. Even more room in the newer models, I imagine.

Attachment 101234

Ralph
Ralph -- Just out of curiosity, there seems to be a pretty uniformly positive consensus about the Hunter "Cherubini" models. While reviews on other models are obviously mixed, the Cherubini seems to enjoy a consistently good rep. Kinda like the Bene "First" models vs. some of the newer ones. Any ideas on this? Might be helpful to the OP who is obviously drawn to considering the brand.
Exile is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hunter