Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-04-2010, 10:19   #1

Location: Ft. Pierce, FL - Bislig, Philippines - Gladstone QLD
Boat: 1968 Alberg 30 #329
Hunter 30 - Safe for Passage ?

I have been reading all the threads here and I dont see Hunter mentioned much. On the other hand, I see alot of them on the market. My instincts tell me there is a good reason for these two phenomenons. I would like the veiws of some experienced sailors.

I like Pearson but the older Hunters have a flat semi low transom for attaching a small dive platform. The boat I end up with will have to be able to accept a platform or already have one.

Am I crazy for even thinking about a Hunter for pan-pacific voyage?

Thanks in advance
Surveyor
Surveyor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 10:26   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422
Hello,

Well if you look at my avatar you see I have a Pearson. Also, just happen to live about 8 miles from the Hunter factory in FL and have actually visited the plant. Have also chartered a Hunter as well so think I can comment on the comparison.

In general, Hunters are built for price and are not exactly the most heavy duty boat on the planet. On the other hand, there are plenty of Hunters sailing all over the world, including at least one I know that sailed around the Horn. Carefully inspected and beefed up where needed a Hunter could work, but the Pearsons are generally built better. Also, if the 30' Hunter has the no backstay rig I am not a fan. Some people like it, I have concerns about the rig, especially for downwind cruising which you will see a lot of if you are trade winds sailing.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 10:31   #3

Boat: Beneteau 32.5
People have rowed across the Pacific, kayaked from California to Hawaii and beefed up a Catalina 27, so I don't think one can say it's not possible.

However, I own a Hunter 30 myself. I love it for Island cruising, but it's not a boat I'd personally be very comfortable with for a trans-oceanic crossing.

The sail management systems seem fairly easy to manage and strong, it's more that it's just not as seakindly a boat as I'd want for that kind of duration and potential conditions.

Certainly, how a boat is outfitted and maintained can make an enormous difference, but still, I'd probably be looking at something else myself.

P.S. - In response to Skimac's post, my 89 Hunter has a split backstay. I don't know if there were versions that did not. I second his take that they are built for price and are a great option to consider to get one out enjoying coastal cruising affordably.
nautical62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 10:58   #4

I own a 1981 Hunter 30 and have sailed it around the Keys and Bahamas since 2000. It a great, inexpensive, well-built coastal cruiser and is up to the kind of conditions you're apt to encounter in this type of environment.

As a bluewater passage maker, not in my book. I'd go for something with a much heavier displacement and is designed (beefed up) for offshore passages.

Like Nautical, my Hunter also has a split backstay. It is possible to add a swim/dive platform, but I would rather own a newer Hunter that has a walk-through transom.
Alan Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 12:15   #5

Well I guess I better keep looking then. I want to save money but not at the expense of my life or happiness. Thanks to everyone who replied.
Old 02-04-2010, 15:38   #6

Consider starting a post on advice for boat suggestions. I'm sure there are many old threads that you will find informative as well. The smaller blue water cruiser is a theme that comes up often.
Old 02-04-2010, 20:08   #7

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by nautical62 View Post
Consider starting a post on advice for boat suggestions. I'm sure there are many old threads that you will find informative as well. The smaller blue water cruiser is a theme that comes up often.
Excellent advice. Im not a rookie at forums but yet....I broke the rookie "grasshoppa" rule. I walked on broken rice paper!

I will take your kindly advice to heart and hopefully wont ask to many more questions that have been beaten to death already. Thanks!
Old 02-04-2010, 20:45   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surveyor View Post
Excellent advice. Im not a rookie at forums but yet....I broke the rookie "grasshoppa" rule. I walked on broken rice paper!

I will take your kindly advice to heart and hopefully wont ask to many more questions that have been beaten to death already. Thanks!
Unlike some other forums I participate in, people here are pretty tolerant of similar questions. They understand obviously, it's new to you. My point about doing a search is just that there is a lot of good information already covered if you can find it.
Old 03-04-2010, 04:40   #9
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 380, now sold
In searching our archives, I suggest that you use the custom Google search engine. It's much better at finding what you're looking for than the built-in vBulletin search feature.

Click on the link in my signature and bookmark it for future use.
Old 03-04-2010, 06:26   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hud3 View Post
In searching our archives, I suggest that you use the custom Google search engine. It's much better at finding what you're looking for than the built-in vBulletin search feature.

Thanks! I've been frustrated with the vBulletin search feature and I will try your suggestion next time.
speedoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010, 09:32   #11

Boat: 1980 Windrose 25
This may be on interest. These folks seem to be having a great time, albeit, not crossing oceans.

Xdoople Sailors - Meg's Blog
SVWindchill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2018, 10:36   #12

Re: Hunter 30 - Safe for Passage ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hud3 View Post

Posts like this are problematic. As the years go by, the number of posts telling people to search become the results of future searches. The best policy is to provide the requested information to make it that much easier to find in the future, or to let the post sit without a response.
Twelvizm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2018, 10:49   #13

My rookie observations from similar threads are this.

The Hunter 27 and 30 provide the minimum amount of space a person would need for an ocean passage. Although the boat itself isn't idea for the open ocean due to a couple things:

1. The keel and ballast are too small. This will cause the boat to be less stable than a full keel boat with more displacement.
2. The mast: It is deck stepped, vs keel stepped. This isn't as strong of a configuration. Although should the pressure post and standing rigging being in great shape, should be sufficient in most conditions, though a keel stepped mast being stronger.
3. Tank capacity: Both the fuel tank and water tank are small for blue water cruising. Doubling the capacity of both would be better.
4. The cockpit: The cockpit is very large, the cockpit bridge small, and the drains and cockpit lockers poorly designed for taking on waves. The cockpit can hold a large amount of water, with smaller drains that don't allow for quick drainage. The cockpit bridge is very small and would allow water into the cabin in the event that the cockpit is flooded. The seals on the cockpit lockers are small, and the edges not heavily angled, which could be problematic in the event of a large wave over the coaming.
5. Engine placement, like most pocket/coastal cruisers, the engine is directly under the companionway. The issue here is that any water that makes it over the the cockpit bridge will end up falling right over the engine cover.
6. Bulkhead tabbing/Chainplates: Neither are sufficient for the stresses of open ocean sailing.

Any edits or additional information from the crew?
Twelvizm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2018, 18:10   #14
cruiser

Boat: Retired from CF

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twelvizm View Post
Posts like this are problematic. As the years go by, the number of posts telling people to search become the results of future searches. The best policy is to provide the requested information to make it that much easier to find in the future, or to let the post sit without a response.
That's just nuts.

The goal is to help the other members.

Very few know how to google properly anyway, so never mind search results as a priority.

https://www.google.com/search?q=site...er+OR+offshore
john61ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2018, 19:32   #15

Boat: Catalina 320

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twelvizm View Post
Perhaps your post reviving a 10 year old zombie thread may be problematic for future searches also.
Calif.Ted is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hunter