Cruisers Forum
 


Join CruisersForum Today

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-11-2012, 15:25   #1
Registered User
 
Goldencrab95's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 14
Hunter 27edge for Open Water? Capability, Speed

I was thinking that the Hunter Edge 27, stronger and heavier in Ballast than the MacGregor 26X/M and can go into the open ocean. Full weight of the Edge is 6,000 lbs with water ballast full and it has a strong hull. Do you think it's a good idea to sail this boat from Miami to the Bahamas and the Caribbean and perhaps Trans-Atlantic or Trans-Pacific? And is the Edge considered a cruiser or a racer or both? How fast do you think it would go? The Macgregor I know cannot do these because of it's weak hull. The Edge on the contrary, is an actual sailboat unlike the MacGregor to show I have understanding. I don't think the Edge is like the 26X. What do you think?
__________________

__________________
Goldencrab95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-2012, 15:59   #2
Registered User
 
propellanttech's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: B'ham, Al
Posts: 356
Re: Hunter 27edge for Open Water? Capability, Speed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldencrab95 View Post
I was thinking that the Hunter Edge 27, stronger and heavier in Ballast than the MacGregor 26X/M and can go into the open ocean. Full weight of the Edge is 6,000 lbs with water ballast full and it has a strong hull. Do you think it's a good idea to sail this boat from Miami to the Bahamas and the Caribbean and perhaps Trans-Atlantic or Trans-Pacific? And is the Edge considered a cruiser or a racer or both? How fast do you think it would go? The Macgregor I know cannot do these because of it's weak hull. The Edge on the contrary, is an actual sailboat unlike the MacGregor to show I have understanding. I don't think the Edge is like the 26X. What do you think?
No, sorry to say I would not. I'm not saying it can't be done. I'm saying I would never do it.

Without a keel (at least a partial) the ride and stability would definitely scare me. The pitch and roll of the hull would be at a level, I would be petrified the entire trip.

The above is just dealing with the Bahamas and further. As for crossing the ocean, not ever. I wouldn't even claim it could be done. It would take someone with huge brass b***s to cross an ocean in that vessel.

The chance of a knockdown is just too great, and without the sails, the crew would be doomed for death, or close to, if surviving long enough for help to arrive.

The moment arm is so close to the surface of the water, it just doesn't dampen the vessel much. It will right the boat if knocked down or rolled, but will not help much in unfriendly seas.

I'm sorry, but my vote is no, to Bahama's (Caribbean) and positively not for trans-ocean.

This is not always about strength, this is the ability to remain powered, either by sails or engine. If you loose the sails, the engine will only take you so far, then it's rescue time.

I wish I had a better answer than this,

James L
__________________

__________________
There is no cure for stupid, only elimination!
propellanttech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-2012, 16:18   #3
Senior Cruiser
 
Sailmonkey's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Houston
Boat: '76 Allied Seawind II, 32'
Posts: 5,780
Re: Hunter 27edge for Open Water? Capability, Speed

Bahamas for me on that boat would be no problem.......but as far as further afield, No.

getting to the Caribbean can be hairy, but once there the boat would be fine. As far as the south pacific. Not me, sure someone else maybe.......but wouldn't be the most comfortable nor safest. I mean all of this, not a the boat is a hunter, but rather what the boat was intended to do.

In my mind that's a supreme trailer sailor boat, covers a lot of ground fast on the highway to get to the best cruising grounds, shallow draft for the best anchorages, but not an ocean crossing machine.
__________________
Sailmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-2012, 16:19   #4
Vendor
 
witzgall's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Eastern Shore, MD
Boat: Camper Nicholson 44 Ketch
Posts: 1,775
Re: Hunter 27edge for Open Water? Capability, Speed

Welcome to the Forum.

Cross oceans? Not unless you want to prove something - Look, I crossed the Atlantic in THAT! Bahamas, perhaps, with the right weather. You certainly will be able to anchor in protected places, but I would not want to be caught in a blow, exposed, in something like that - sailing or at anchor.

Chris
__________________
witzgall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-2012, 17:20   #5
Senior Cruiser
 
skipmac's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: 29 49.16 N 82 25.82 W
Boat: Pearson 422
Posts: 12,383
Re: Hunter 27edge for Open Water? Capability, Speed

If you are an experienced boater AND you know the boat AND understand how it handles AND all the boat's limitations AND you check the weather very, very carefully AND you are patient and willing to wait for the right weather THEN it would probably be OK to take to the Bahamas.

That's a lot of ifs and ands. I could be wrong, but based on the question I am thinking you may not be very experienced at sailing and not really sure I would recommend you attempt the trip.
__________________
The water is always bluer on the other side of the ocean.
skipmac is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-2012, 17:39   #6
Don't ask if you can't handle it
 
sailorboy1's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: On the boat somewhere
Boat: Hunter 410
Posts: 12,317
Re: Hunter 27edge for Open Water? Capability, Speed

I vote you can go to the Bahamas and the Carb.

But I can not see you doing any long crossings for fun on it.
__________________
jobless, houseless, clueless, living on a boat and cruising around somewhere
sailorboy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-2012, 23:12   #7
Registered User
 
Goldencrab95's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by propellanttech

No, sorry to say I would not. I'm not saying it can't be done. I'm saying I would never do it.

Without a keel (at least a partial) the ride and stability would definitely scare me. The pitch and roll of the hull would be at a level, I would be petrified the entire trip.

The above is just dealing with the Bahamas and further. As for crossing the ocean, not ever. I wouldn't even claim it could be done. It would take someone with huge brass b***s to cross an ocean in that vessel.

The chance of a knockdown is just too great, and without the sails, the crew would be doomed for death, or close to, if surviving long enough for help to arrive.

The moment arm is so close to the surface of the water, it just doesn't dampen the vessel much. It will right the boat if knocked down or rolled, but will not help much in unfriendly seas.

I'm sorry, but my vote is no, to Bahama's (Caribbean) and positively not for trans-ocean.

This is not always about strength, this is the ability to remain powered, either by sails or engine. If you loose the sails, the engine will only take you so far, then it's rescue time.

I wish I had a better answer than this,

James L
But From What I've heard The Hunter edge has concentrated it's safety features on the hull particularly adding stability flotation systems and a deep keel centerboard. Add all that with the full ballast tank of 1,600 pounds and you get a draft of 5'6" and a very strong center of concentrated gravity for the Hunter 27edge. To get a clear picture and specs you should look up the Hunter 27 edge's website and I mean the 27 EDGE motor sailor. Now does that change the prespective? If not, are there better alternatives to the 27 EDGE that is considered a RACER and can still be towed by my Jeep Grand Cherokee which tows up to 7,200 lbs?
__________________
Goldencrab95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-2012, 00:20   #8
Registered User
 
Sabbatical II's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Lake Macquarie
Boat: Bluewater 420 CC
Posts: 756
Images: 1
Re: Hunter 27edge for Open Water? Capability, Speed

27' is certainly enough boat to do what you are asking, but I would not be on either vessels on the open ocean. The individual specifications aside, a boat which has a foot in both camps (power or sail) has to make more compromises than one which is dedicated to one primary mode of propulsion usually so that it does neither adequately. Huge additional compromises have to be made so that one of it's major selling points is that it can also be a road vehicle (on a trailer). Another huge disadvantage is that, because it is inexpensive compared to a genuine ocean cruiser, many people can afford it and after reading the brochure actually believe that these vessels can safely be used on the open ocean.
__________________
Greg
Sabbatical II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-2012, 11:05   #9
Registered User
 
propellanttech's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: B'ham, Al
Posts: 356
Re: Hunter 27edge for Open Water? Capability, Speed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldencrab95 View Post
But From What I've heard The Hunter edge has concentrated it's safety features on the hull particularly adding stability flotation systems and a deep keel centerboard. Add all that with the full ballast tank of 1,600 pounds and you get a draft of 5'6" and a very strong center of concentrated gravity for the Hunter 27edge. To get a clear picture and specs you should look up the Hunter 27 edge's website and I mean the 27 EDGE motor sailor. Now does that change the prespective? If not, are there better alternatives to the 27 EDGE that is considered a RACER and can still be towed by my Jeep Grand Cherokee which tows up to 7,200 lbs?
Ok, maybe, just maybe I'm a little to harsh on the Edge.

Still my problem is the event that you get caught in a squall. The centerboard will help, but the location of the weight is the major factor for stabilization. With a finned keel, the weight is below the hull. With the Edge, the weight is above the bottom of the hull.

Still, no ocean, it just isn't a good idea. The Bahama's maybe, but like someone said, you would need to be very careful crossing from Florida, due to the gulf stream. You could possibly get a very nice day where you could zip over with some speed, but I would think those days are quite rare.

Still, it's not my kind of boat. I'm still at least a step up from it, in what I'm looking for.

James L
__________________
There is no cure for stupid, only elimination!
propellanttech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-2012, 13:52   #10
Registered User

Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Wilbur By The Sea, FL
Boat: Catalina 30
Posts: 660
I looked at a new Hunter 27 a few weeks back. I was not impressed, it had been a demo for a year and already the plastic portals were cracked near the dogs and there was water damage from a bad pipe in the head. The water ballast strikes me as a poor substitute for a real keel. I would not take one if given to me since I would not worth the taxes on $65000.
__________________
Gary
http://svknotaclew.wordpress.com/
The Garbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2012, 13:07   #11
Marine Service Provider

Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Galveston island
Boat: New port 28
Posts: 24
Images: 1
Send a message via Skype™ to paddyd
Re: Hunter 27edge for Open Water? Capability, Speed

No problem doing the Bahamas and carribean ... check you weather window and have fun .......
__________________
paddyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2012, 13:24   #12
Senior Cruiser
 
Sailmonkey's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Houston
Boat: '76 Allied Seawind II, 32'
Posts: 5,780
Re: Hunter 27edge for Open Water? Capability, Speed

Quote:
Originally Posted by paddyd View Post
No problem doing the Bahamas and carribean ... check you weather window and have fun .......
You are aware that the 27' edge is a water ballasted motor/sail boat?

Like i said above, I'd have no problem sailing this from florida to the bahamas, or around the caribbean......but getting it to the caribbean would be questionable. Maybe if you were to really island hop the whole way from gas station to gas station.
__________________
Sailmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2012, 15:58   #13
Registered User
 
Sumner's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: SE Utah
Boat: 1981 Endeavour 37 & 1990 MacGregor 26 Classic
Posts: 370
Re: Hunter 27edge for Open Water? Capability, Speed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldencrab95 View Post
...The Macgregor I know cannot do these because of it's weak hull. The Edge on the contrary, is an actual sailboat unlike the MacGregor to show I have understanding. I don't think the Edge is like the 26X. What do you think?
Actually they are pretty similar boats. There have been numerous MacGregor 26X's and the earlier water ballast classics (not power sailers) and other MacGregor/Ventures that have gone to the Bahamas along with a number of very small micro-cruisers....

http://cecka.no-ip.org:8080/chinook/

... The Mac X above has also gone to Alaska (not on a trailer) and has cruised the Sea of Cortez. I'd like to see a reference where any ever suffered hull damage and sank.

I am not by any means saying they are blue water boats anymore than a Hunter of that size is, but if you have the time and work with the weather you can go to the Bahamas and back. I wouldn't go further and I'd make sure the boat was well fitted out for such a trip and that you also have the experience to do it.

If we wouldn't of bought the Endeavour we would consider a trip over on our Mac,

Sum
Sumner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2012, 16:51   #14
Registered User

Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Washington
Boat: Pacific Seacraft 40
Posts: 17
Re: Hunter 27edge for Open Water? Capability, Speed

How about a Dana (formerly Pacific Seacraft, now built by Seacraft Yacht in Seattle)? Trailerable, just within specs for towing, and a proven sea boat. Small, but with a reasonable headroom and good galley layout for at-sea cooking. Saw one for sale (with trailer) on another post on this site.
__________________

__________________
fugue is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
hunter, water

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off




Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 21:02.


Google+
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Social Knowledge Networks
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

ShowCase vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.