Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-10-2013, 13:20   #1

Hunter 27, blue water, etc

Reading the board, not much love for Hunter sailboats. I own a newer (2009) hunter 27 and was looking to what others thought about coastal sailing. I also, have thought about taking trips in open water, but weather dependent and not more than 24 hours between ports and really don't think anything more 4' seas. I've read some post stating that hull is too flat on newer Hunter's materials used are not safe in open water.
What are the downfalls to hunter sail boats? I know comfort, fuel,etc. but I think I can stay out about 5 days without the head overflowing, battery dying, running out of fuel or water, without risk, I have spent 4 fairly comfortable nights out all on inland waters, without shore assistance and all was good.
There are a lot of threads about blue water, but my definition of it would be less than 24 hours of island hoping, Miami to Bahamas seems to be the longest skip. I've personally not had any issues with my Hunter and still sails good (inland) with upwards of ~20mph winds and 2.5 - 3' chop which is the most she has been exposed to at this point.
Other than creature comfort, what other concerns are there? Am I off in thinking <24 hours between or having to come to port every few days?
Do I need to sell (if possible) and get something different? FYI - This is my my first sail boat as captain, but sailed with many from 16' to 40'
knotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-10-2013, 13:37   #2

Boat: Valiant 40
Re: Hunter 27, blue water, etc

You can take any boat anywhere, it's just a matter of dealing with what you encounter along the way. There are two main relevant dimensions to a purpose-built blue water boat that pertain; whether the design is suited to good performance offshore, and the robustness of the build, fittings etc.

If you're talking short hops of 24-48 hours and can pick your weather window then both of the above are really not an issue IMHO. Then it's all about having the necessary safety equipment on board to deal with the unexpected.

In short, your Hunter is more than up to the task of what you're contemplating, provided you're up to it as a sailor. The best offshore boat in the world can quickly turn into a deathtrap in the wrong hands, and plenty of "coastal cruisers" have crossed the pond with experienced, prudent captains at the helm.
Suijin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-10-2013, 13:37   #3
RTB

Boat: Hunter 36

You aren't crossing oceans, you are coastal cruising. Just watch your weather and you'll be fine. We're still alive after cruising our old Hunter from Texas, to the Keys, to the Exumas down to George Town, and now waiting out hurricane season in Brunswick, Georgia.

We met a young couple while anchored at Allen's Cay. They had sailed their Catalina 27 from Maine. Also met Katie and Jessie in No Name Harbor, on their little Cal. Boat | KATIE & JESSIE

Just go get some experience and see how the boat holds up. Correct any issues that come up. Really, your success depends upon your abilities.

Ralph
| sailing away with R & B
RTB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-10-2013, 13:48   #4
S/V rubber ducky

Boat: Hunter 410

your boat is fine for your use (it probably is fine for more than your use and would still be going strong long after you weren't)
Old 22-10-2013, 14:30   #5
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Valiant 40 (1975)

You are right when you say it is the sailor and not the boat that determines how far you can go, however a prudent sailor takes a good hard look on how a boat is constructed. I have seen some smaller Hunters that were poorly assembled. The poorest constructed boat I have ever seen however wasn't a Hunter. It was a Catalina. And guess who had bought that boat?
s/v Beth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-10-2013, 23:21   #6

Boat: 2017 Jeanneau 519
I'm not sure what a newer 2009 is vs a older 2009 but you boat is fine for that. Have fun go sailing.....
scuba0_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-2013, 00:46   #7
Marine Service Provider

Boat: We have a problem... A serious addiction issue.

Knotty,

In the mid 1990's Hunter revamped its design department, and significantly upgraded its build quality. Much like the revamp of American car manufacturing it has taken a number of years for Hunter to shed its reputation as poor quality builds. I am not positive, but I think the last old design was the 36 that went out of production in 2005.

Any boat with the Henderson stamp is a pretty reasonable quality boat. They won't stand up to a Swan or Hinkley, but they are very much midline quality boats. Since you have a 2009, I would be perfectly comfortable taking it off shore, maybe not into high latitudes, but for near coastal cruising it should be more than adequate.

- If animals weren't meant to be eaten then they wouldn't be made of food.
Stumble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-2013, 04:58   #8
cruiser

You should be fine, that's what your boat was built to do. 35 years ago when we were young and stupid, we used to load our O'Day 20 up with five friends and head over to the Channel Islands off Southern California for a few days. No electroics... Just a compas and paper chart. We lived. Your boat is more than twice the boat.
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-2013, 07:18   #9

Boat: Ensign 1659: Recently sold: 1984 Aphrodite 101 Hull #264
Send a message via Skype™ to NormanMartin

It is less the boat than the sailor. Have fun and keep us up to date.

If you want to "train" for a cruise, join a double-handed race and meet other DH sailors. Not a very snobby group, usually very helpful. Double -handed racing is some of the best training/practice for a sailing couple.
NormanMartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-2013, 08:58   #10
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, knotty.

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-2013, 09:15   #11

Thanks to everyone... Off this weekend to coco beach to sea trial a 32' hunter (not for me, i'm just tagging along)!!
knotty is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hunter, water