Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-11-2015, 12:16   #16

Re: Bottom Paint Oriental, NC

I wanted to take the bottom paint off of my boat as well. I ended up finding a company called Boat Bottom Pro. They sell specific products for the bottom of your boat. I used the Bottom Paint Removal Kit and it worked great! Here is the info if anyone is interested. Their website shows videos and photos of the products which convinced me to try it! Boat Bottom Pro
06chaparral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2015, 07:39   #17

Boat: Prairie 36 Coastal Cruiser
Re: Hull Stripping - Soda Blast, Sand

I've done 2 different hulls with soda, and was very happy with the result each time. It even generated a lot of business for the company who did it, because others saw how well it came out and wanted theirs done.

Dry ice sounds like a good idea too, but I'd never let a sand blaster near any boat I owned.
CaptTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2015, 07:47   #18

Boat: Boatless

What did you pay per square foot? I have seen good results from soda blasting and got a quote to do my tri hull for 1900.00. 180 square feet.

I decided too much and dropped and Sanders myself. Took me about 20 hours.

I know it's not just about square feet but still a lot for what would be about half day work.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Jimske is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2015, 07:48   #19

Sorry. I meant stripped and sanded myself.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Old 08-11-2015, 08:09   #20

Boat: Prairie 36 Coastal Cruiser

$1,280 for a 36' x 13.5' trawler hull, modest sized keel. Not sure what that works out to in square feet of surface area.
CaptTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2015, 09:11   #21

Re: Bottom Paint Oriental, NC

Quote:
Originally Posted by 06chaparral View Post
I wanted to take the bottom paint off of my boat as well. I ended up finding a company called Boat Bottom Pro. They sell specific products for the bottom of your boat. I used the Bottom Paint Removal Kit and it worked great! Here is the info if anyone is interested. Their website shows videos and photos of the products which convinced me to try it! Boat Bottom Pro
I wasn't impressed with the website. Maybe it is a good deal but I wouldn't plop my money down without knowing more about the product. I've chemically stripped a decent amount of stuff over the years; limestone, brownstone, wood, etc. There are a lot of good strippers around. Usually non MEK water soluble environmentally friendly ones would sell for about $150 bucks a gallon and get about 100 sq, ft. per gallon so . . . caution for buying this stuff. You can buy your own rags and scrapers anywhere. Seems like the "kit" is a bit hyped.
Old 08-11-2015, 09:17   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptTom View Post
$1,280 for a 36' x 13.5' trawler hull, modest sized keel. Not sure what that works out to in square feet of surface area.
Going to guess the sq. ft. a bit more than mine without a keel and only 31'. The ama s are only about 90 sq. ft. You got a better price than me. I would have gone with the soda at 1000 bucks but no for almost 2000.

I also used the Fein dustless sander and that did a real good job because of its high rpm and weight. Expensive to buy but I was able to rent for 20 bucks a day.

Tags
hull