Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-04-2011, 11:36   #31

Boat: L 34
Re: Hull Osmosis

There is a good boatyard in Cumana. Of course you will be concerned enough to watch them grind out all the blisters to dry surrounds and re-glass to your satisfaction. Fibreglass is infinitely repairable. It is alarming how many doomsday merchants there are on these forums that make it sound as if without a complete rebuild of your entire boat you're gonna die. ! Grind out the wet, fill with with as much layup as required and sail on into the sunset. Your boat's integrity is not in danger.
holmek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 12:26   #32

Boat: Bluewater 420 CC

My experience from having just sold a boat with some ozzie in it is that as soon as the "O" word is mentioned 95% of potential buyers run a mile. The logic that it is repairable may be true but it's not saleable at a reasonable price. Most surveyors are looking for it and when they find it they blow it out of all proportion. The potential buyer feels he has been "saved" by the surveyor and feels that he has got real value for the $ spent. If you buy a boat with Ozzie, factor in the full cost of a thorough repair or you will be dismayed when it comes to sale time.

Greg
Sabbatical II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2011, 15:36   #33

Boat: Formosa 63` Ketch

Sorry guys and gals,still on this Osmosis problem with our Formosa 63 ketch.Prices for fixing the blisters and for standing while she dries vary hugely in the Caribbean.Does anyone know of a small Yard familiar with sailboats (not big fancy MotorYachts),who may look at a job like this over a period of say three months----in Florida or the Chesapeake or closer to my home,the DR?
Any advice would be deeply appreciated.
Thanks in advance.
WGDM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2011, 17:42   #34
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Hull Osmosis

I'm slightly confused... Contessa 32 built by Formosa...
I presume this was after Contessa UK went bust and sold the moulds...
If so get it peeled...
as far as I'm aware UK Contessa's had solid hulls...
But I'm usually wrong so who cares....
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2011, 17:43   #35
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Shoot.... its grown into a Formosa 63....
Gonna have to stop smoking this stuff....
Old 16-04-2011, 08:31   #36

No,you are confusing the last letter from the start of the thread who was someone asking about a Contessa.What are you on?
I have a Formosa 63,not a Contessa,and she has a foam core and am looking for a Yard in Florida or the Chesapeake who are familiar with blisters and repairing them at fair prices for work and haul and launch and stand time....or for that matter a Yard in the DR.(there is nothing at Luperon,by the way,although some say there is a haul facility there.)
I would really like to hear from anyone who can suggest a Yard or area who may be able to do this kind of work----and not at MegaYacht prices...
Old 16-04-2011, 08:54   #37
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by WGDM View Post
No,you are confusing the last letter from the start of the thread who was someone asking about a Contessa.What are you on?
I have a Formosa 63,not a Contessa,and she has a foam core and am looking for a Yard in Florida or the Chesapeake who are familiar with blisters and repairing them at fair prices for work and haul and launch and stand time....or for that matter a Yard in the DR.(there is nothing at Luperon,by the way,although some say there is a haul facility there.)
I would really like to hear from anyone who can suggest a Yard or area who may be able to do this kind of work----and not at MegaYacht prices...
Ahhh... okay thanks for clearing that up...
I afraid the only yard I can recommend is smack dab between your chosen areas... Sailcraft Services in Oriental, NC.
They do quite a few peels every year, never heard any complaints and while I was there the peeler was a great worker and the follow-up work seemed well done...
Give Alan a shout.. he's a humungous Canadian and he really does know boats...
Old 16-04-2011, 08:58   #38

Thanks very much----muchly appreciated.Getting worried about where to go this hurricane season.Caribbean Yards are getting more expensive than the US East Coast---everyone climbing onto the bandwagon.
Thanks very much once again---I will drop Alan a line at Sailcraft Services.
Cheers---nice day in the BVI today!
Old 16-04-2011, 10:32   #39

Boat: Nassau 42 SV Ceol Mor

Yes, it is fixable. It is also expensive/time consuming. If you really love the boat, then it makes sense to get a couple of quotes, increase quote by 15% ( because work never comes in at the original quote) and negotiate the price based on those numbers.

Do not buy this boat if you are looking to have it ready quickly. Do not buy this boat if you are only buying it based on price, not a love of it. Do not buy this boat if you think up a cheaper, faster method of affecting the repair than having it done in a thorough manner. Do not buy this boat if having the issue resolved will leave your budget stretched.

If none of the above mentioned caveats apply to you, go for it.
Mimsy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hull, osmosis