Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-04-2005, 20:56   #1
jdm

Hull access and bottom painting

This year I purchased a 1973 O'Day 20 with a swing keel. She has needed some work. I can do almost everything in my driveway with the boat on the trailer with the exception of getting at the swing keel and hull area in contact with the tailer. I need to inspect, repair/restore as necessary and apply the bottom paint. Does anyone have any clever Ideas on how or with what process I can get the boat "up" for doing such work. The local marina has not said they can't help at this time. They tell me that at this time of year their lift is in full time operation getting boats in the water (Minnesota). Saving the bottom for last it will not be ready for water for several more weeks. By then I'm hoping the marina can help. In the mean time I thought I would throw the question out to this groups since on this site I've seen such clever solutions to interesting problems/questions.

Jay
jdm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2005, 01:31   #2
cruiser

Do you launch with the marina, or with the trailer? Most people who want to get 100% of the hull will have a small can of bottom paint ready as the boat is lifted by the marina before launching. You can run around just before launch while the boat is in the travel lift and touch up the spots.

Also, if you are launching via the trailer, you can always float it, put it on the trailer a little off balance, haul, paint the touch points, and re-float and launch.
ssullivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2005, 05:00   #3
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Hartley Tahitian 45ft. Leisure Lady
Sounds Like you may need it "up" a little longer than the marina Lift can be spared for. Is there an official hardstand area, and would there be any cradles available in said area? Apart from that, you really need some good support devices if you ever think of raising the thing yourself. Especially to any height adiquate to drop the keel. And then the only way you could do such, is by several hydraulic jacks.
Ooorrrrrr?!? me thinks! can you place the hull far enough off the back of the trailer, that the keel can be dropped. Then drive the trailer up some ramps. Just a thought, but I think realisticaly, you need the travel lift to haul it up onto a proper cradle.

For God so loved the world..........He didn't send a committee.
Alan Wheeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2005, 14:21   #4

Boat: Viking 33 Tanzer 8.5m Tanzer 22
Small boat

I am assuming you need to drop the keel to paint it and also paint under the trailer bunks. Park the boat and trailer in a field, lower the tongue jack as low as it can go, block the back of the boat, raise the tongue jack as high as it can go, run a beam accross the boat at the pointy end under the hull, block one end and jack up the other end until the trailer can be removed, lower the keel. If the keel will not go all the way down dig a hole. That's why you parked in a field.
Get two used power poles and put them 4 1/2 feet in the ground and one foot more apart than the length of the boat. Attach a chain hoist on each post, position the boat between the posts are lift with the hoists.
Michael
BC Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2005, 15:11   #5
jdm

Interesting Ideas---
I think the marina may have thought that I wanted to keep the boat in the lift while doing the work. If I don't find any major problems the effort will still take several hours. Prior owners really had done nothing between the, at least 4 different bottom coat colors. While being well covered the surface is like swiss cheese. I will talk more with the marina about getting it on a cradle. That should not take too much lift time and since it will still be several weeks before I'm ready the timing may work out.

We live on a 3 acre remote lot so I like the idea of backing the trailer between 4 poles with a strap and chain hoist set-up. I don't need to lift it very far. The trailer is the obstruction for the keel but there is 2 feet between the keel and the ground while on the trailer. Keeping the boat at the current height and just pulling the trailer out will just about give me enough room so the pole lift system really does not have too much work to do (just lift enought to get the trailer out.

Boat supports with a hydrolic jack would also work. Support the boat. Lift one end a small amount, reposition the supports then lift the other end or quarter. One hydrolic jack with adjustable supports would work using a rotation system.

Cost is always an issue. Since after this year of major work I don't anticipate a repeat over the next few years. Then the quick application while being lifted to the water or the float and reposition idea should work fine. I'll check with some of the local construction rental places about renting a Jack and perhaps with all the boats in the water the Marina would let me rent supports from them.

Thanks everyone

Jay
jdm is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bottom paint, hull paint