Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-03-2014, 05:44   #1

Boat: Hughes, 35'
Hughes 35 mainsheet traveller

Hi,

I'm a new boat owner and I need a main traveller for a Hughes 35. It sits over the cabin top but it was removed for some reason by the previous owner and so I have no idea what model or type I need.

HUGHES 35 sailboat specifications and details on sailboatdata.com

Does anyone have a suggestion for a reputable supplier who could help in the Toronto area or have knowledge of this ship?

Thanks in advance.
briana.paige is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2014, 06:17   #2

Boat: JBW club 420, MFG Bandit, Snark
Re: Hughes 35 mainsheet traveller

http://www.defender.com/category.jsp...559&id=2358567

Here are some kits available from defender. I couldn't find a good image of image of a Hughes 35 cabin top to see how the traveler would attach and I can't help with any local supplier.

But I hope this gets you started in your search.

Sent from my SCH-S738C using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Old 23-03-2014, 06:25   #3

Boat: JBW club 420, MFG Bandit, Snark

I like the lewmar kit with the control lines run to the car instead of the ends. Seems like it would be easier to unlock the windward side to travel down and take up the slack on the leward side. Less chance for tangles. Not that the other way was considerably difficult, I'd just like to take that Lewmar kit for a spin.

Sent from my SCH-S738C using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Old 23-03-2014, 06:40   #4

Boat: Grampian 26

the 35 should have cabin top mounts already and it would be a matter of just placing a new traveller in the place like this one for example Lewmar SZ1 Trav 4:1 #29461354 - Marine Outfitters - Ontario Canada

The mounts look like small humps about 2x3 and 4 - 6 inches high on both sides of the companion way near the midway point.
if there not there then they may have been removed and a cockpit traveller installed.
you can also buy new mounts that can be attached to the cabin top but that can be pricey somewhere in the 1k mark.
Old 23-03-2014, 06:43   #5

Boat: KH 49x, Custom

I'd recommend Garhauer marine, that's who we used when we replaced our traveller on our Hughes 35. Tell them the sail area and how far down the boom your traveler sits, and they should be able to get you the proper size. If not, look at a CS 36 or a Catalina 34-36 and you'll be fine. The mainsail is not very large.

The traveler sits on those two raised areas, one on each side of the hatch cover. The proper length is about 2 inches longer than the distance to the OUTSIDE of the raised areas.

How is your mainsail rigged now? Did the previous owner remove the traveler from the deck due to flexing of the deck?

Where are you located?

Enjoy your Hughes 35, we certainly did.

Feel free to e-mail me any questions you might have. My username @gmail.com

We had ours for 7 years and traveled extensively up and down the atlantic, Canada to Trinidad.

Paul.
GRIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2014, 06:46   #6

Boat: Grampian 26

there are mounts on the cabin top for the traveler

Name:   main (1).jpg
Views: 318
Size:  14.1 KB
you can see them in this picture.
if they have been removed then you could buy new ones but that kit was around 1300.00
Old 23-03-2014, 12:45   #7

Boat: Hughes, 35'

Thanks for all the suggestions and tips, you have all been very helpful. I will look at the suppliers mentioned.

In response to some of the questions raised, I have no idea how it was rigged, it will involve some brainstorming and shoulder-tapping of more experienced sailors I imagine. (I spent most of my sailing time on tall ships after my original certification on 'smaller' boats, so it feels like I'm relearning my sailing skills...

As for the mounts, they are still intact. The deck does have a some flex to it (no more than expected given its age), but it's possible that was the reason it was removed. If that's the case, I may think about trying some sort of a double mainsheet and do without the traveller all together.

The boat is in Toronto, I'm looking forward to getting to work on it this spring! It's great to hear that you enjoyed sailing your Hughes 35 svquintana. I may take you up on your offer of advice once the work on her starts in earnest.

Thanks for all your help, I'll try and post back with any success/failures!
briana.paige is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Hughes