Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-02-2015, 05:32   #1

HR 46 vs CONTEST 48cs ???

We are the very happy owners of an HR 39 for several years and we daily appreciate the high quality of this boat.
As we have now a look on “3 cabins high quality yachts”, we take into consideration for example a HR 46 and a CONTEST 48 cs.
Having been used for years to the high standards of a HR (previously we had a HR 352), we are hesitating a lot changing for a Contest...
Does anyone have an advice / an experience about such a choice ?
Many thanks and good wind !
ULYSSE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2015, 06:28   #2

Boat: a sailing boat
Re: HR 46 vs CONTEST 48cs ???

Hi,

I have sailed a HR46 (built 2003 or thereabout) and I have worked aboard both that boat and a Contest 48 cs (getting them ready, HR for the ARC, Contest for their own Atlantic adventure). Unfortunately, my sailing experience with Contest 48 cs is limited to short equipment tests run on flat water within our harbour, but I do know how she performs (not how she sails) from providing weather and routing services (to both boats, E-W Atlantic crossings, HR in 2008 and Contest this winter).

I think these two boats are very similar in all respects EXCEPT for the fact that the Contest is a raised salon boat and THIS may be the go or no go factor in your particular situation.

You can PM me if you have any specific questions, I may know some answers.

Cheers,
b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2015, 10:31   #3

Boat: Amel Super Maramu 53 ft

I would prefer the Contest to the HR (opinion). I would think the Contest may be quicker too. Unless the HR is a Frers design...

Both are well built.
Eleuthera 2014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2015, 10:51   #4

Boat: Cape Dory 31

Contest gets my vote. Superior engine access and interior finish. Both capable offshore cruisers. Wish I had to choose between them myself.
Orion Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2015, 13:07   #5

Boat: a sailing boat

HR 46 is a Frers'.

They are the same off the wind. HR is a very good upwind boat, much as the Contest is fine upwind too.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2015, 14:05   #6

Location: San Diego, California - Read about our circumnavigation at www.rutea.com
Boat: Contest 48

Whereas I am partial to the Conyplex yard, the Hallberg-Rassy is a remarkable yacht. We just completed a 1,000-mile passage (Thailand to Sri Lanka) with a very knowledgable skipper on board as a guest and he couldn't stop marveling at how stiff and fast our boat is (made the passage in 7 days , 10 hours - 12 hours of motoring - which isn't bad for a 40,000-pound boat with a 37-foot waterline) and how much stowage space we have. Our 3-cabin layout has a head in the bow with 2 cabins just aft, which worked out perfectly when we cruised with our 3 small kids. They all have families of their own now.

We don't have too many complaints about our boat except the wiring was done poorly but most of that has been fixed. Getting any support from Conyplex has been difficult but our boat's designer, Dick Zaal, has been fantastic about answering my emails. I've never sailed on an H/R but I imagine they're awesome.

Good luck, fair winds and calm seas.
nhschneider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2015, 11:32   #7

Those very two designs our on our short list. We like the raised DS design, but it's not a must. We also would like to avoid a Volvo engine, which every HR seems to have.

Good to hear about the seaworthiness, storage and brightwork-disappointed to hear about the responsiveness from the Conyplex office.
Do you wish to elaborate?
JulieMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2015, 23:51   #8

Boat: No boat..yet.every now and then they let me be the winch monkey...

Ref HR 46;Is the HR 45 a good alternative ?I see that they are nearly the same except a different stern.I take that the aft lazarette is a bit smaller but are there differences in behavior at sea?Also the 45 carries a bit less sail.

PS;I do not mean to start a thread drift here but I am just curious.thx
Good luck with your choice.

Cheers,
JJ
JJ77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2015, 00:15   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by JulieMac View Post
Those very two designs our on our short list. We like the raised DS design, but it's not a must. We also would like to avoid a Volvo engine, which every HR seems to have.

Good to hear about the seaworthiness, storage and brightwork-disappointed to hear about the responsiveness from the Conyplex office.
Do you wish to elaborate?
Not sure regarding the Volvo avoidance. All engines have strength and weaknesses. Yanmar has problems with warping heads and eye watering spare prices. Volvo has merely distressing parts pricing and in the TMD 22's, a propensity to seize their Turbos. Easily preventable.

GL
Old 23-02-2016, 03:10   #10

Boat: searching...

Hello,

I know its an older posting but still curious..
I'm currently looking at some Contest 48 CS as it sucks to be landlubber and I'm quiet surprised about the size of the Perkins 135hp. It looks fairly big in terms of HP for such a boat?
And while I understand it will run low rpm - how much fuel will this engine use at cruising speed??

Thanks.
swisscraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2016, 06:33   #11

Mine is an 80 HP Volvo and uses 4.3l/hr. I would guess you'd be at nearly 8 l/hr... these curves are linear.

Wait... it's a sailing boat!