Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-03-2016, 12:21   #1

Boat: Malö 40H
HR 26 - a realistic cruiser?

Hi everyone!

so I have been shopping around for our first boat and came across a Rassy 26. After some online searches it does look like an interesting choice for a first boat for an aspiring young cruiser couple on a budget. So, assuming there is enough space in there for us, does anyone care to comment whether it is truly a sea worthy boat in the HR tradition and realistically speaking.. could one imagine later one day crossing the big pond on it?.. I mean I know everything is doable given enough .. courage but I mean rather in the sense that it can handle rough weather and being a sea-kindly boat that will look after us better than we can probably take care of her?. Or is this kind of a boat we would probably only use coastal cruising around Europe and maybe Canaries and then sell it before we venture further out?. Just trying to set my expectations right.

Thanks in advance for all your comments!
crankysailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2016, 12:40   #2

Boat: Ohlson 29
Re: HR 26 - a realistic cruiser?

Quote:
Originally Posted by crankysailor View Post
So, assuming there is enough space in there for us, does anyone care to comment whether it is truly a sea worthy boat in the HR tradition and realistically speaking.. could one imagine later one day crossing the big pond on it?
I have a 29' boat, and the thing with small boats is that they're less comfy then a larger one. If that's an issue or not depends on the crew

Ocean crossings are just a small part of cruising, but the smaller the boat, the less comfy it'll be and the longer it will take. And the longer it takes, the more water, food and likely diesel you need to store somewhere.

Personally, I think you can buy a little more boat for the price of an HR26. And every extra foot is a little more comfort and more living space - which does matter on such a small boat.
My $0.02: try to go for something around 30, 32'. A little extra length and width (and headroom) makes a big difference in boats this size.

Pretty much any well maintained boat can get you across an ocean; look for the smallest boat you can both comfortably live on and has enough room for general storage (personal belongings), water, food & diesel. Don't overlook "minor" details like comfortable, roomy berths etc. - things that will decide how comfortable you are living on your boat, regardless of where that boat is.
Old 07-03-2016, 13:02   #3

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31

I agree with LB, they seem quite expensive for a 26 foot boat which would buy quite a lot of boat in the 30 - 32 foot range. Speed is dependant on waterline length and the difference between 26ft and 31 ft is an extra 4 feet LWL which will make a difference on a long passage. Look at the details on saildata for length and weight etc

HALLBERG-RASSY 26 sailboat specifications and details on sailboatdata.com

Looking for something larger for the same money? jump on a 747 and buy this:

1991 Moody 31 MkII Sail New and Used Boats for Sale -
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2016, 13:28   #4

Thanks you two. Keep the good input coming :-)

We are used to living in very tight spaces actually.. but I see what you mean. Particularly on the bang for our buck side of things. I guess I appear to suffer from Hallberg Rassy infatuation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete7 View Post

Moody eh?.. since I am new at this cruiser buying game I guess I have limited my search to what appears to be the "classic cruisers" .. i.e. Hallberg Rassy, Camper & Nicholsons, Sadler, Contessas usw. Is Moody in the same category?... I remember reading somewhere that build quality was "ok" but not necessarily at par with those classic cruisers. Ist that just b.s.? After looking for a while in the 70's.. a boat from the 90's does sound like "omg it's almost brand new!
Old 07-03-2016, 13:47   #5
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: HR 26 - a realistic cruiser?

Moody is as much a classic as HR..
The only HR26 I found is this one.. teak decks will be expensive down the line and 5.9headroom could be a pain if you are taller.. another bad thing for me is the saildrive.. prefer shaft drive myself.
Hallberg Rassy 26 for sale UK, Hallberg Rassy boats for sale, Hallberg Rassy used boat sales, Hallberg Rassy Sailing Yachts For Sale 1982 Hallberg-Rassy 26 - Apollo Duck

For 3.5K less you could buy this.. great boats and a good reputation..
Westerly Konsort for sale UK, Westerly boats for sale, Westerly used boat sales, Westerly Sailing Yachts For Sale Westery Konsort 29 - Apollo Duck

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the drums.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2016, 14:03   #6

Thanks folks.. you all seem to want to steer me away from Hallberg Rassys it is true that in a given category they are always pricier than their counterparts.. do you think that they are overrated then?.

There are some slightly larger (29, 31 even a 35) HRs I have been looking at in the 30-35K€ range.. we would rather spend less on our first boat since well.. it is all unknown territory for us but those are a possibility as well. Would you then all tell me that for the same money I could buy even *more* boat? :big grin:
Old 07-03-2016, 14:13   #7

Quote:
Would you then all tell me that for the same money I could buy even *more* boat? :big grin:
Yes

There's nothing wrong with HR's, but they do cost a bit. If they're worth the extra money or not is a very personal decision / opinion.

I have a weak spot for Wauquiez boats. I've spent the last 2 years drooling over the Hood 38 docked behind me and always have an eye out for the smaller Centurion 36 that are for sale. Not for her looks (Hood is fine, C36 .. meh) but they come pretty darn close to what I, personally, consider my ideal liveaboard cruisers.

Chances I'll ever buy one are close to 0 tho: for the extra money these boats costs compared to other boats the same size that'll also get me to where there be coconuts safely and comfortably, I could easily spend an extra year or two cruising!

Everything is a trade-off when it comes to buying a boat. You can spend extra money just for the make (be it HR, IP or WQ or whatever) or you can use that money to buy a bigger boat, or on refitting, or on cruising ... or maybe even leave something for your kids to inherit
Old 08-03-2016, 07:19   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete7 View Post

Ok.. I made some enquiries.. ex charter boat... I think most people shy away from these, hence the price, right?.

I did find another interesting option but has been sitting two years on the hard.. *seufz*.. not sure I want to go that way. Keep looking I guess.
Old 08-03-2016, 07:47   #9

Boat: Victoire 1122

[QUOTE=crankysailor;2066041]Thanks folks.. you all seem to want to steer me away from Hallberg Rassys

HR's (Swedish) are very good and willing yatchts in N. Europe! Good sailors; and at that point older Moody's or Westerley's are different (also the bigger one's).
Horus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2016, 08:39   #10

Boat: Brewer designed Pacific 43 in fiberglass. Center cockpit set up for long-distance single handing.

I am not a big fan of the saildrive system the HR26 incorporate and it's set too far forward. There aren't many 26 footers that offer a coared hull which can be a bonus. These boats have a strong hull deck joint and this is one of the most important things to look for.

I have a decade's long argument with one of my brothers. He is in the less is more camp in boat length. He circumnavigated a 26' Westerly Centaur. I say, to hell with sea camping, give me 36' or more for a couple who can expect friends and family to join them along the way. My preference is 42' as this length fits nicely in your average trade wind wave. You're on a tight budget. For the price of the HR26 you could get a great 36 footer that was more or less ready to go anywhere.
seasick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2016, 08:44   #11

Quote:
I did find another interesting option
Your location isn't listed in your profile - where are you looking and how far are you willing to travel?

Quote:
Originally Posted by seasick View Post
He is in the less is more camp in boat length. He circumnavigated a 26' Westerly Centaur. I say, to hell with sea camping,
I agree with less is more

But - after 2 yrs of camping on 29', I am considering going up in size, but no more then 36'. After that, all the costs (and work) go up too much while I'm not getting much that a smaller boat doesn't already offer.
Having said that: I have been told by many people, both on this forum and IRL, to wait until summer to see how I feel. Might be the cabin fever talking after a rotten Dutch winter.
Old 08-03-2016, 09:15   #12

May I suggest you have a look at John Vigor's book. Although the list isn't comprehensive it does give excellent insights into what you should look for in a small boat.

https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/093...=1&*entries*=0
SV. Gwenhidwy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2016, 09:21   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by seasick View Post
For the price of the HR26 you could get a great 36 footer that was more or less ready to go anywhere.
a 36 footer ready to go anywhere for less than 20K€? ok.. I must be looking in the wrong places
Old 08-03-2016, 09:23   #14

Boat: Hallberg-Rassy 31 Monsun

Hi all,This is one of my very first comments on this forum although I enjoy every moment of reading it almost daily. Here are my views on the HR 26: like all HR yachts it is expensive but there are reasons for that. The overall quality is unparallelled and the mahogany interior is superb. As someone pointed out, the deck and the hull are put together very strongly and will never separare or leak. I have had three HR's and the quality has always amazed me. My present HR is a 40 years old HR31 Monsun and its condition is still perfect, interior is spotless, varnish excellent and no leakage anywhere. This type of HR has made a number of circum navigations, the most wellknown is by the Swede Kurt Björklund who did three of these (actually 3.5, but he broke an arm in an accident and had to quit) in a standard version of the yacht. As far as I remember, at least two HR 26 s have also done circum navigations without any problems. I would NEVER choose a cheaper but somewhat larger boat, type a Westerlay or similar. Admittedly, I am Swedish, but in this case still neutral. So, go for a smaller high quality rather than a larger, cheaper and lower quality yacht, you will never regret it. If you must have a larger yacht, pick an older high quality one in good shape.
Jan Rydstrom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2016, 09:38   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizzy Belle View Post
Your location isn't listed in your profile - where are you looking and how far are you willing to travel?
I am based out of Germany but ideally would like to buy something in Spain or Mediterranean. I see a lot of interesting boats in the U.K. but crossing the English Channel right off the bat after purchasing the boat doesn't appeal to me given my inexperience.. I also would prefer dealing directly with owners.

We have even thought about the quintessential project boat.. though I keep hearing repeatedly.. "just don't". It might be a good idea to *really* learn the ins and outs of the boat. That is appealing to me. To know how everything is wired and what to do when it breaks.

Anyhow.. thanks to all for the useful input.. this whole boat buying process is quite daunting

Tags
cruise, cruiser