Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-05-2015, 12:03   #1

How trailerable is a Cape Dory 25?

I came across another boat, a 1974 Cape Dory 25, is this a trailerable boat because I know some other smaller sailboats such as an Oday 23 are hard to trailer

The crash of waves and salty air are the signs of freedom
MermaidIndie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2015, 12:17   #2

Re: How trailerable is a Cape Dory 25?

Getting up to 25/26 ft can be a challenge. You want a 3/4 ton pickup for a heavier boat. I had a 3/4 ton diesel for my Contessa 26. I wouldn't have wanted any less for that.
One of the fallacies of a "trailerable" sailboat is all the launch time, rerigging time etc that is required. So just know that going in. Most just launch in the spring and retrieve in the fall. Keep that in mind.

Consider how long you will keep the boat. The cost of the big truck, insurance, etc is a consideration.
Might be easier to find a dry storage marina that will launch each time you use it.
If you want to trailer all over the country that's another consideration. if I wanted a 25 trailerable I would consider a freedom 25 with no rigging.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2015, 12:29   #3

So just to confirm the mast has to come down every time it gets trailered?

Old 12-05-2015, 12:36   #4

Sure, if you are going out on the street.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2015, 12:44   #5

Thank you

Old 12-05-2015, 13:07   #6

Boat: Newport 28

Looking at pictures, it doesn't look TOO bad to trailer, assuming a decent tow vehicle and enough length of trailer or extension to back into the water deep enough. And I'm not sure where you saw that an O'day 23 is a hard to trailer boat. Would imagine it would be a lot easier than anything larger, my brother towed his all over the place, and was a breeze to trailer and launch.
Old 12-05-2015, 13:20   #7

Of course, it depends on what you consider difficult to trailer.

Consider that the Cape Dory 25 is a 4,000 lbs. boat with a 3' draft. Going to need a pretty substantial trailer to put it on, and if it is not already on a trailer then you may have to have one custom built (or at least heavily modified for it). Add the weight of the trailer, and "stuff" on the boat, and you're probably going to be pulling close to 5,000 lbs. if not more than that. Do you have a truck that can pull that much?

Then there is the question of finding ramps to launch it at. Most ramps are built with the typical, smaller, powerboat in mind. I used to have a San Juan 23' that I trailered. It is more than 1,000 lbs. lighter than the Cape Dory, and has a draft of more than a foot less. Even at that I had trouble now and then finding ramps that were deep enough and long enough to float it off the trailer.

Not really trying to discourage you, but you need to realize what you're getting into if you buy a boat that big and want to trailer it here and there all the time.

And, no, you can't drive it down the highway, or around town, with a mast sticking 30+ feet up in the air!
denverd0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2015, 08:39   #8

Boat: Scout 30

If you plan to trailer this regularly I'd recommend the 25 instead of the 25D. To get either boat in & out of the water you'll probably need a trailer tongue extension. Neither model is really designed for trailering.
Scout 30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2015, 08:54   #9

Boat: Cape Dory 33

We had a Cape Dory 22 that we pulled a couple of times short distance (between the marina and home). We had a really fine trailer that was custom built for the boat by Triad. (Very nice trailers and awesome people to work with.) Our trailer was not set up for float off though, it was strictly for hoisting off/on. They can build a trailer custom for float off and there are a couple of options for float off trailers depending on whether you have regular access to a deep ramp or will be using a variety of ramps. (I am assuming the more flexible the launch situation needs to be, the more expensive the trailer.)

As far as trailering and launching on a regular basis, I wouldn't even consider it. Stepping and unstepping the mast is not going to be a simple task and as has been mentioned you will need a deep launch ramp, a trailer specially designed for the purpose (you WILL need a tongue extension on your trailer), and a powerful vehicle. I would consider it trailerable for moving from location to location or bringing it home for winter storage but for launching I would want to have it hoisted by a travelift. And once the mast was up it would be up for the season. If I had to launch and rig that boat every time in order to go sailing I would probably not make it out sailing very often, if ever. Just my 2 cents.
Old 13-05-2015, 09:02   #10

Boat: Cape Dory 25

I have a CD25 1975, on a trailer, it trailers very good. I pull it with a Dodge ram 1500 with 5.7 Hemi, No issues at all. With the 3' draft I don't try to launch it at the ramp.
fishsail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2015, 11:57   #11

Boat: Kingfisher K20

I have an old English Kingfisher K20, twin Cast Iron keels 4'6" draft, custom trailer.
I trailer it...It is a PITA. But if you are aware of this going in....there it is.
I
SVrider44224 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2015, 12:50   #12

Boat: Scout 30

If you're looking for a trailerable sailboat look for something with a very shallow draft & a swing keel. There are several out there that will fit the bill. A tabernacle at the mast will also help.
Scout 30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2015, 13:10   #13
hlk

I had a CD 25. Loved that boat. It took 4 of us to step the mast and that was still sketchy. I certainly wouldn't consider doing it more than once a year.

With the three foot draft I can't imagine many boat launches that would accommodate it.

If you can buy the boat and keep it in the water you will never be sorry. They are great, forgiving boats. If your goal is to travel with the boat the CD 25 would definitely be the wrong choice.
hlk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2015, 13:35   #14

Boat: Catalina 25 + trailer

I have been sailing and trailering a Catalina 25 for several years (dry weight 4500). My boat has a 2'10" draft, wing keel, and I ramp launch using either no trailer extension or a small, 4' extension. As noted above, a mast tabernacle is essential, and I would add some sort of side-to-side mast stabilization system.
When you select a trailer, I would give preference to a roller bed, as opposed to a bunk bed system. The rollers make it easier, particularly when retrieving the boat.

Because you may be using ramps of various steepness, a long trailer extension of at least 10' is almost essential. There are those who prefer a strap to a solid extension; the strap can be very long, for shall ramps. The information on ramp launching is quite extensive, including many youtube videos.

The bottom line is that trailering and ramp launching a boat your size is quite practical, but it is a serious undertaking that requires proper equipment, skill, and a few back-up helpers the first few times. I launch and retrieve with my wife, but there are those who do it single-handed. Trailering opens up vast new cruising possibilities; I wish you good luck.
wegman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2015, 18:57   #15

Boat: CD25

Mermaid
If the 25 comes with a trailer then launching and stepping the mast spring and fall should not be a hardship if you have a seasonable mooring or slip
I do not have a trailer and it costs me $400 to launch and step the mast spring and again in the fall
If you are looking for a boat you only will trailer launch a few times a year this is not your type of boat.
Good luck on your search
Pete
Peter1949 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cape dory