Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 07-04-2016, 23:57   #1

How to put a Columbia 22 on a trailer

I got one for yalls

So, I found a free Columbia 22.

For all yalls who say anything about free boats, eat a seagull.

This one is a gem. Long story short, the previous owner hauled it out 20 years ago, stripped it down, removed the keel, and rebuilt the entire boat. New stainless keel bolts, beefed up rudder quadrant, new everything, rebuilt original bronze winches, new winches too, full sail inventory, it still has the protective film on the windows. Essentially it is a 100% new and restored virgin Columbia 22, ready to go. Just needs a cleaning, and the mast put up. The day he was going to finish the project, he had a stroke and passed, and the boat has now been sitting under cover, un touched for years. A big storm came through a whi,e back, and some trees need to go (massive firs), and the arborists say the boat has to get moved before that happens.

This boat is on stands, on grass, in a backyard.

I have a trailer, my cal 20 is on it right now, but, I live 10 min from the launch, and this boat is only a few blocks away from the harbor. The harbor guys won't touch it for insurance reasons, but I bet I could splash the cal-20, load the Columbia up, and drag it the few blocks to the water, stick it yard, rig it, and it it in....

Question is, how the heck do you get a boat off stands, onto a trailer?

Terrain is too rough for a forklift, a crane truck might get in there, but that's 700$,

I'll get some pics, but would love insight.

One guy said a Columbia 22 can stand on its keel and aft two stands??? I'm a San Juan 21 fixed keel, and cal-20 guy, so ths thing is a tank compared to the sailboats I'm used to owning.... Sure, I'm a diesel mechanic, but I don't have to worry about blocking and lifting the boatsi work on, that's the sealift and travel lift guys problems.... I'm just an engine room monkey...

Old 08-04-2016, 01:36   #2

Re: How to put a Columbia 22 on a trailer

Best get the riggers you work with involved. Sitting on its keel does you no good if your trailer has any crossbars. It needs to be clear of the ground to back under it. Maybe your free boat is going to cost you $700, pretty good deal in my mind.

Old 08-04-2016, 07:08   #3

Boat: JBW club 420, MFG Bandit, Snark

I got some good advice in this thread

Lifting a boat, sans Crane

Sent from my XT1080 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Old 08-04-2016, 07:17   #4

Boat: Ohlson 29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chinook92 View Post
Question is, how the heck do you get a boat off stands, onto a trailer?
The same way the previous owner got it off the trailer and onto the stands

The topic Fiveslide linked has some great info & tips, but all things considered ... I'd probably just rent a crane and be done with it. Sounds like the boat is worth it, so why not?
Old 08-04-2016, 09:27   #5

You should be able to find a crane for less than $700. You are talking less than 5K pounds on that boat. Building an A Frame or other gantry is doable, but after the time, materials and chances, not worth it in the end. If a crane can get right up to the boat without a long reach, it does not take much and there are a ton of guys out there with 15 ton cranes who work pretty cheap. If it is a straight up lift and drive the trailer under. Last time I paid $320 for a 90 ton to lift off of a road trailer and drop on a launch trailer for a 15K pound boat. Straight up in the air, drive one out and the other in then down.

You pay by the hour for these guys, so flexible time and finding one close (clock normally starts when they leave the lot). Let them know you will take a dead slot when the crane is in between close jobs.
Old 08-04-2016, 09:30   #6

A stinger truck would do it, less money than a crane.

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Old 08-04-2016, 09:44   #7

Boat: Chrysler 26

I have moved a few boats on and off trailers by simply jacking them up, using lots of stands or blocks, and moving the trailer under (or out from under) the boat little at a time as you reposition the blocks and jacks. Tedious, but not hard.
Old 08-04-2016, 09:56   #8

Call a few boat haulers. Not delivery captains, but over the road guys. They have hydraulic trailers that can handle that type of job.

We use one to move boats around the yard all the time. These trailers can get under a boat on blocks AND Stands with no issues. I would expect it to cost a few hundred bucks.
Old 08-04-2016, 10:06   #9

Boat: Pearson 30

I use the loader on my tractor to lift one end of my boat at a time.
Stack pallets under the aft end and fill in the space with shims ( plywood ) then lift the bow with the loader. Pull out stands, slip in trailer. Lower the bow and secure it, then move to the aft end and lift the boat off the pallets, remove pallets and lower. Job done.

The important part is a very secure aft support no movement. Rent a big enough loader. The first time I did it my GF thought I was crazy, now she just thinks it is the norm.
Old 08-04-2016, 10:36   #10

Get the boat titled in your name. Insure it for handling (launch/retrieval/trailer movement), then call the crane operator. Cheap down payment.
Old 08-04-2016, 12:39   #11

Boat: morgan O/I 33' sloop

As others have noted $700 should not be a deal breaker. If you want to do it on the cheap rent or build an A frame. Beg, borrow or construct a couple of slings, hang a block on your A frame and use a truck or a winch to lift the boat. But, before doing anything, make sure your trailer will be an ok fit and you will carry the weight properly. Placing the weight on the keel is almost always a bad idea. Also worthwhile to try to look up where the lifting slings be placed but I suspect that will be dictated by the keel placement.
How will you launch her? Will you be able to float her off?
Old 09-04-2016, 22:24   #12

Boat: Yankee Dolphin 24'

Check out Dolphin24.org - A Website For Dolphin Owners and Others Interested in this Classic Design
That's very similar to how the P.O. of my boat got it on and off the trailer in his back yard.
Dolphin's are >4000 lbs empty, so probably heavier than your boat.

Tags
columbia

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: