Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-07-2016, 06:09   #31

Boat: Gulf 32
Re: How to learn to maintain a sailboat without going broke?

Quote:
Originally Posted by captlloyd View Post
''I enjoy tinkering with stuff'' and ''my father is very handy''. That is all I need to know that you will have no problems maintaining a boat.
This quote is very true... this mindset of getting after it and figuring it out and making it work is what it seems to take to maintain a boat without on a somewhat reasonable budget (nothing truly reasonable about it...)

Quote:
Originally Posted by captlloyd View Post
Bone-up on marine stuff and you are good.
But note this quote too... read the books carefully and check out some of the other references like MaineSail and then make sure you're doing things the MARINE way... don't just bring your general on land handiness to the water, they do things (wiring, plumbing, on and on) a little differently on boats in a lot of situations (for reasons that are usually very logical).
Old 07-07-2016, 18:27   #32

Boat: Peter Snell Easy 37'
Smile Re: How to learn to maintain a sailboat without going broke?

Good advice Mike. But does this mean someone used them successfully and no longer had a use for them or someone bought them and gave up because it was too damn hard!! Having done lots of boat maintenance on my own and fathers boat I've enjoyed nearly every bit of it. Just wish they had Youtube 15 years ago!!
jasonleeau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2016, 18:56   #33

Boat: 35' Pearson sloop

Always remember the old saw, BOAT means "Break Out Another Thousand". If you don't have discretionary funds you'll end up with another old saw, " there are two good days in the life of all boat owners. "The day you buy it and the day you sell it!" But I keep buying the damn things!
lesterbutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2016, 18:39   #34

True and thats why I budget for repairs beyond purchase cost.
cruisernewbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2016, 20:02   #35
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1978 Hudson Force 50 Ketch

User Groups...if there is a website group for your specific brand/model/type of boat the folks on there that have already been there done that will become your most visited website!

A perfect example of why you want to do your own work if you are on a budget:
You can install one of our water makers yourself for a little skin and blood donation to the bilge and tight locker spaces or you can pay a professional installer from $1500 to $2500 for the installation for you.
SV THIRD DAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2016, 20:31   #36

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.

SD is a real expensive place to have, keep or maintain a boat. Ensenada on the other hand...
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2016, 12:14   #37

Very true, in fact when I checked San Diego area marina prices for slips for boats under 40', it was over $400 for a tiny slip. Mooring balls are far less expensive however.

Anyways, for now, I am in a few groups to get my sailing fix on until the right boat comes across my path. I may keep sailing with others in the short term and invest my cash in high growth stocks and then buy a nicer boat once I have the experience. For example, I love the Hinckley, Oyster, Hallberg-Rassy designs and craftsmanship sailboats but these are super expensive used. Well at least the smaller ones under 40' are less pricy. Still, more expensive than say a Hunter or Tartan which are nice boats.
Old 13-07-2016, 06:10   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruisernewbie View Post
fuel burn 100g per year using bare minimum just to get into/out of harbors.
Ok so I used 3.5 (three and a half( Gallons of fuel last year, but i use engine to get in and out of SLIP or ANCHOR... other than that, I sail.
Getweh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2016, 07:02   #39

Boat: Makela,Ingrid38,Idora

Start by learning what not to do. Head down to the mooring field at the inner harbour and check it out. Most of those guys are already broke.
IdoraKeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2016, 05:16   #40

Boat: 1984 Hunter 27

I was in the same position 5 yrs ago. I was totally new to sailing, a client had a 17 ft daysailer he was willing to let go to a good home for short money. 2 yrs later I decided I needed a bigger boat. I was given two 20 ft Ensenadas that could be best described as dumpsters. Beware ! The most expensive boat is the FREE boat. But what you'll learn in the process of restoring it is priceless. Most importantly have a suitable place to work on the boat, and don't be afraid to make mistakes and do it over. Search the Net, many "YouTube" videos on just about everything, Join a forum such as this, there's an incredible wealth of knowledge out there. Whatever the problem, somebody else has already had the same problem. Subscribe to the Mag "Good Old Boat". I use "Jamestown Distributors" as a parts supplier. best prices and they have free tech support and a forum.

Marty
finefurn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2016, 16:06   #41

Very true! Well, my books just arrived and I've been reading them to learn the basics. I like the recommendations and found how to repair blisters in fiber glass hulls quite interesting and engines quite complex! So, I'd need to take a few classes to get hands on and my hands dirty on how to maintain these areas of a sailboat.

For now, I am sailing with folks here in San Diego to keep costs down and build experience. For me, the sweet spot would be a 30-35' sailboat in good condition. I am fine with a single head and 1-2 state rooms/berths. Ideally, I'd want high quality construction cruiser like a smaller Oyster, Hinckley or Hallberg-Rassy.

Tags
sail, sailboat