Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-03-2018, 14:11   #16

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs
Re: How to choose a dinghy

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcripps View Post
I've been kicking around down here for 15 years.
It might help if you say where "here" is
StuM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2018, 15:12   #17

Boat: Custom 41' Steel Pilothouse Cutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike OReilly View Post
Nice combination. I use a 3.5 hp Tohatsu with our bote. At 1/2 throttle it goes for a long time on one little tank of gas. It will easily plane the bote with one (heavy ) person on board. Two if the conditions are flat. But we tend to row most of the time.

We also carry two inflatable kayaks which we use when we’re anchored for longer periods. As you say, it’s good to have two options.

I’ve never had davits. They're handy when everything is easy. No way would I want a dingy swinging from them in heavy wind/seas though. Almost as bad as dragging a dingy.
Roger on the kayaks. My nesting dinghy is for people and the Portabote is for cargo for the most part. I don't care (and nor does it) if stuff get spilt. It's a rugged unit.

The 2.0 Honda (which I may change up for an extra horse, except I love its air-cooled one-hand hoist aspects) can't drive me and the Portabote faster than 4.5 knots in flat water, but it can do so for nearly a hour flat out...such as that is. I've taken to filling empty 1 litre oil jugs of the lawnmower/chainsaw type with gas if I feel like putting about. It's pretty funny to empty one into the top of the tiny Honda and realize "yep, that's another five miles of flat-out."
Can't sail? Read about our travels at https://alchemyonpassage.blogspot.com/. Can't sleep? Read www.alchemy2009.blogspot.com for fast relief. Can't read? Avoid www.volumesofsalt.blogspot.com, because it's just personal reviews of sea books.
S/V Alchemy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2018, 07:00   #18

Boat: IRWIN CITATION 34

I have a 34 citation. Had an inflatable- was a pain- I was always wet and it punctured easily-. I bought an 8’ plastic dingy that fits before the mast and can be boarded solo- very happy with that- a bit “tippy” so have to stay low getting in and out- otherwise good. I am not at the boat now so I can’t give you more details- but it is manufactured and rated for 2 hp
bob mundle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2018, 07:17   #19
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

what you need is something you can manage solo, easily stowed and functional for carrying large and heavy items from a beach to your boat. with oars as secondary or primary propulsion method.
what you WANT is a nonfunctional heavy as hell r i b with hugeassed engine for zooming all over.
\now you get to figure out which YOU will use so you donot have a deteriorating pile of heavy on your bow or wherever you will stow that item. only you know what you will use once the novelty wears off.
donot forget that towed dinghies become property of others when they find em free ranging alone and lonely and unloved in ocean .
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dinghy