Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 21-12-2012, 07:57   #31

Boat: WTB Lagoon or Leopard 38'-40'
Re: How to choose a boat?

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/vPainkiller View Post
Don't listen to the advise dismissing a wing keel from consideration. They make a good compromise and lessen your draft for the areas you are taking about. I have one and amazingly I've never had it stuck in the mud and sand like an anchor.

At the end of the day, you'll have to decide what compromises to make based on your needs, wants and budget. As has been said, no boat is perfect.

Scott
I was cruising with a couple down there with a wing keel. That boat was not fast, but it did manage to stay out of the mud with some effort and timing. Mooring less that 100 yards from shore though was utterly out of the question.

Cats are getting older all the time. I know a cat in your price range won't give you the space that mono will, but it certainly would boost your flexbility in all those shallow waters.

Old 21-12-2012, 08:17   #32

Thanks for all the great feedback guys (and gals?). I've seen several references to Nigel Calder's Cruising Handbook in other threads, looks like I need to pick that up.

scotty - I have NO sailing experience, and I'm hours from the nearest large body of water. That's kind of why I was thinking that once I get rid of the house, I might move somewhere for a year or so where I can get on boats more before I make a choice.

Ah, Nebraska. I have 2 memories of that state. Planes and tornadoes don't mix, and never go to a mexican restaurant in Grand Island.

Old 21-12-2012, 08:59   #33

Boat: WTB Lagoon or Leopard 38'-40'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hermanns View Post
Agreed - don't buy a thing until you sail at least a half dozen models. Here we're a handful of lessons/mistakes/steps that truly helped Erika (my wife) and I down the boat ownership path.

Lesson/Mistake #1: Wife and I bought a '73 33ft Islander Sloop in Mexico (6+ yrs ago) and got stuck with a huge lemon, BUT we learned from the experience and sold a few years later at a minimal gain.

Lesson #2: Then took the tiny proceeds we had from the sale (~$1500 bux) and enrolled the wife and I in Steve and Doris Colgates Fast Track to sailing - a week long intensive liveaboard chartering course - they run end if year deals when the economy was bad . Again, learned a ton.

Lesson #3: Started to go chartering locally to Catalina, and regionally in BVI's - tried Moorings, Sunsail etc and learned what we 'did and didn't' like with new production quality boats. Talked to weekend sailors and serious die hards while on the water - had fun and learned to enjoy sailing as a couple.

Lesson #4: Went on the Alaska Eagle 2x once from Hawaii to Tahiti and most recently from Antigua thru Panama Canal ", and got some serious offshore 'chops'. I now am a capable offshore sailor vs coastal only experience.

Lesson #5: Attended the Strictly Sail Boat show in Oakland last year, as well as the awesome John and Amanda Neil-Swan liveaboard cruising seminar and focused a entire afternoon on boat selection and liveaboard criteria. John will actually help you and your partner personally!

Honestly - ONLY after all this, did WE Know what to look for in a serious offshore cruising boat and what we wanted size wise (42-50 footer). Before all the years of experience >> I was simply guessing.

We're now the proud owners of a 1982 46' Amel Maramu and couldn't be happier - YES it's always a compromise, but once you look at the purchase as a vessel to cross oceans vs a floating condo; the Ikea McWater-condo mentality starts to quickly fade trust me - I subscribed to Cruising World since Bernadette was a editor.

Make the plunge intelligently - you will be rewarded if patient!

-Jer
I don't see the mistake. You bought a cheap sailing boat at a bargain, used it to learn what you do and don't want in a boat, then resold it at a small gain.

You carried that experience forward to where you are today.

I think this is exactly the approach that many people are recommending.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: