Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 09-11-2010, 21:21   #1

Boat: Westsail 28
How 'Slow' Is a West Sail 28 ?

Looking into a 28' Liberty Cutter, very similar to a WS 28.

Is it true:
Won't point?
Wet 24/7?
Sails slow in light wind?
Sails slow, but healed over in heavy wind?

We, the unwilling, led by the unknowning, are doing the impossible for the ungrateful. We have done so much, for so long, with so little, we are now qualified to do anything with nothing. Semper Paratus!
Ocean Roads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2010, 21:38   #2

Boat: Mainship Pilot 34
It will certainly be slow. The New England PHRF rating is 261. You have to get down to 22' in most current production boats to see a PHRF in that range.

Don't know about wetness, healing and weatherliness, but I doubt it goes to weather very well.

David

Old 09-11-2010, 23:17   #3

Boat: Westsail 32
Heavy displacement for her size but no slower than any other boat its length. Cutter rig carrys plenty of sail (your power plant) and like any other boat if the wind gets too high, you reef. Now in a very light wind, she'll be slow unless you can fly a good size spinnaker. A good sailor will sail any boat well, including a Westsail 28. As for pointing, about 40 degrees is about the best one can do. The wet snail appelation is a quip sung by folks who've never sailed one---it's bullsh*t spouted by salesmen. For a boat its length, there's a lot of storage but personally I find boats that size a bit claustrophobic.
Old 10-11-2010, 00:08   #4
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Corsair Dash MKII
I have sailed one (or two) and they are definitely a wet snail.
Old 10-11-2010, 07:36   #5

Boat: Westsail 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by Factor View Post
I have sailed one (or two) and they are definitely a wet snail.
A catamaran sailor (and sales bloke) calling a Westsail slow? Perfectly understandable. But then, as a Westsail sailor, I may well be a bit biased too.
Old 10-11-2010, 07:48   #6
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Tayana 37 Cutter
6.5 knots, to be exact - the same as any other non-planing boat with a waterline of 28.25'.

Except in surfing conditions, displacement hulls are limited to their hull speed.

Light air? Now that is a different story. That's more a function of the boat's underbody and sail area-to-displacement (SA/D).

With a full keel, Westsails have a lot of wetted surface. In addition, the 28 has a fairly marginal SA/D of 15.38. Conclusion: it's likely to be on the slow side in light air.

The Liberty 28 looks like it might be a bit worse than a WS28 in light air, actually, as it has less sail area.
Old 10-11-2010, 07:51   #7

Boat: Allied Seawind 30
the only slow boat in light air is the one that doesnt have the right/enough sails. look into nylon light air sails if that is a serious concern
Old 10-11-2010, 07:54   #8
sitting on the dock of the bay

Send a message via Yahoo to gonesail
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bloodhound View Post
For a boat its length, there's a lot of storage but personally I find boats that size a bit claustrophobic.
agree on that .. i would look at the 32 over the 28 .. or if you can find one .. a 43. sailing is about getting there without a schedule. if you are worried about speed then buy a trawler or an airplane
Old 10-11-2010, 08:39   #9

Boat: CA 34
Over the years while cruising we have had a lot of friends with Westsail and they certainly do trundle along...

While slow by some peoples standards they seem to make up for it on passages as once they get going they don't seem to want to stop and often arrive right along their lighter displacement brethren. In cruising it is all about average speed rather than top speed.
Old 10-11-2010, 08:59   #10
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Tayana 37 Cutter
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoItGoes View Post
Over the years while cruising we have had a lot of friends with Westsail and they certainly do trundle along...

While slow by some peoples standards they seem to make up for it on passages as once they get going they don't seem to want to stop and often arrive right along their lighter displacement brethren. In cruising it is all about average speed rather than top speed.
good point, bob. also ease of handling exerts less fatigue on a short-handed crew. this is why hefty keeled, heavier cruisers tend to do, on average, as well as many lighter monos and multis in cruising rallies.
Old 10-11-2010, 09:09   #11

I would expect it to sail to what it's waterline will allow. Maybe 120-130 miles a day or ~5.4 knots average. That may sound slow but in reality it will get you where you want to go. Sailing is a slow sport by definition.

As a comparison, here are the current averages for some of the boats sailing the Caribbean 1500:
Mac 65: 7.6
Saga 43: 7.2
Moody 54: 7.1
Dolphin 46: 6.7
Catana 50: 6.6
FP Belize: 5.5
Old 10-11-2010, 09:10   #12

Sava

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoItGoes View Post

Old 10-11-2010, 12:38   #13

Boat: Westsail 28
Thanks gang!

Speed was not really a big concern for me, my buddy was Mr. Negative saying the boat would be too slow.

On my 5 year circumnavigation, what's the rush? Can have bigger/faster but not as stable in a good blow, or a lil slower, but very solid.

Sure on a long passage a fast boat is less time at sea, maybe even less money spent per mile. Get away (or closer) to the storms quicker.

Talked with the boats broker again today, he is gonna put me in contact with the owner for some specific questions I have. Then hopefully up to take a look in a few weeks.

My lease ends in January, think I just found a person to take over the lease, buying ALL of my furniture and home goods, and rent me back an extra bed room for a few months till the boat is ready to live on.

The boat is on the hard, been getting all kinds of work done (so he says), so may have to wait a bit before a visit and test sail, she is 4.5 hours away from me.
We, the unwilling, led by the unknowning, are doing the impossible for the ungrateful. We have done so much, for so long, with so little, we are now qualified to do anything with nothing. Semper Paratus!
Ocean Roads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2010, 13:23   #14

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by sneuman View Post
6.5 knots, to be exact - the same as any other non-planing boat with a waterline of 28.25'.
Think the waterline length is more like 23.6 feet, similar to us at 25.6 feet and we plan on 5.5 knots, a comfortable speed in a small yacht. We can exceed this (with a similar sail area but less weight) but really need flat water to do so.

Pete
Old 10-11-2010, 13:43   #15

Boat: San Juan 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by sneuman View Post
The 1.34 rule has been thoroughly debunked; there is absolutely nothing "exact" about it.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: