Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 13-11-2010, 20:58   #31
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Privilege 39 Catamaran, Exit Only
If I wanted a Westsail 28, I would get it regardless of whether anyone thought it was a slow yacht. I care a great deal more about whether the yacht is safe offshore in really rough conditions. Whether the yacht goes 5, 6, or 7 knots isn't that important to me, because I am going to sail the yacht at a speed that is comfortable in the prevailing conditions. Even if the boat sails like a bat out of hell, I'm not going to push it really hard the vast majority of the time. When I am cruising, I go for comfort over speed 99% of the time. If you want to race a yacht, definitely don't get the Westsail 28. If you want to go cruising, get a yacht that will get you there comfortably and safely. I had a Westsail 32, and I loved it. I was in seventh heaven when I was out sailing.

http://SailingUNI.com
http://maxingout.com
http://PositiveThinkingSailor.com
maxingout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-11-2010, 21:51   #32

Boat: 20' Montego
In any kind of seaway the Westsail 28 hobby horses in a wet and very uncomfortable ride. I did it on the Delaware Bay in about '82 into the wind motor sailing and followed by the late Hal Roth and his beautiful "Whisper" under sail alone. Later we talked and he opined the Westsail 28 is the second worst designed sailboat of all time. I didn't think to ask who got first. They sure do look salty though with long overhangs. Add a couple of heavy anchors out there and lots of chain up front and you're guaranteed a miserable ride in any kind of seaway IMHO.

Old 13-11-2010, 23:14   #33

Location: La Ciudad de la Misión Didacus de Alcalá en Alta California, Virreinato de Nueva España
Boat: Cal 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by sneuman View Post
Light air? Now that is a different story. That's more a function of the boat's underbody and sail area-to-displacement (SA/D).

With a full keel, Westsails have a lot of wetted surface. In addition, the 28 has a fairly marginal SA/D of 15.38. Conclusion: it's likely to be on the slow side in light air.
Curious as to where you got 15.38.
Sailboatdata.com says 13.4. Not that it is the be all and end all of sailboat data.
Old 16-11-2010, 12:18   #34
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Tayana 37 Cutter
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adelie View Post
Curious as to where you got 15.38.
Sailboatdata.com says 13.4. Not that it is the be all and end all of sailboat data.
I got it from Sail Calc, but it could be wrong. If your 13.4 is correct, it only goes to reinforce my conclusion.
Old 16-11-2010, 12:32   #35
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41
Send a message via Yahoo to zeehag Send a message via Skype™ to zeehag
Quote:
Originally Posted by raybrett View Post
In any kind of seaway the Westsail 28 hobby horses in a wet and very uncomfortable ride. I did it on the Delaware Bay in about '82 into the wind motor sailing and followed by the late Hal Roth and his beautiful "Whisper" under sail alone. Later we talked and he opined the Westsail 28 is the second worst designed sailboat of all time. I didn't think to ask who got first. They sure do look salty though with long overhangs. Add a couple of heavy anchors out there and lots of chain up front and you're guaranteed a miserable ride in any kind of seaway IMHO.
when one puts brains behind the loading of a boat and keeps weight midships and centered isnt bad to ride a heavy boat. hobby horsing is reduce-able with load redistribution. i feel this rational of not getting the boat because of hobby horsing is not reasonable. . there are many ways to reduce that feature. i have a formosa 41-- allegedly known as leakers and hobby horsing boats--LOL--WHEN one loads the fore and aft sections with all the weight , one WILL achieve hobby horsing. yes. when one redistributes the end loads into the center, one finds bouyancy in the formerly heavy ends.
load all your batteries and ballast in the stern of any boat --you will achieve POUNDING which is also most uncomfortable.
if you like the boat, buy her. if not-- find one you do like-- sailing other folks's boats is a good way to find out a lot about many kinds of boats--- have fun and smooth sailing....
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-2010, 16:08   #36

Boat: Westsail 28
Well yesterday at work I met a guy in the local anchorage on a Westsail 28. We got to talking about boats and my search, long story short I am going out sailing with him and his wife Sunday afternoon.

I love the look and layout of the boat, he just bought his and is working his way home.

Are all WS 28s deck step masts?
We, the unwilling, led by the unknowning, are doing the impossible for the ungrateful. We have done so much, for so long, with so little, we are now qualified to do anything with nothing. Semper Paratus!
Ocean Roads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-2010, 16:09   #37
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41
Send a message via Yahoo to zeehag Send a message via Skype™ to zeehag
should be a tabernackled deck stepped mast--also for the 32, same.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-2010, 16:52   #38

Boat: Westsail 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ocean Roads View Post
Well yesterday at work I met a guy in the local anchorage on a Westsail 28. We got to talking about boats and my search, long story short I am going out sailing with him and his wife Sunday afternoon.

I love the look and layout of the boat, he just bought his and is working his way home.

Are all WS 28s deck step masts?
Good decision, a very smart way to decide if a boat is for you. If he is a knowledgeable owner maybe he can point out the construction features of the vessel that make Westsails built so well, then compare to any future boats you look at.

On the 32's some are tabernacle mast bases some are not, believe the tabernacle was an option, not sure about the 28's.
Old 27-11-2010, 15:31   #39

Well the owner of the WS28 never contacted me and he has moved on.

But I did find a deal on a WS31 in MD online. She needs some work, but is all there and is a steal!

Been e-mailing the owner back and forth.

Also got a near perfect Liberty Cutter 28 (WS28 copy) in NY I am planning to look at when I go to NYC for New Years. The perfect 28 is twice the price of the needs work WS31.

I did love the look and the layout and feel of the WS28 I was on. The pics of the WS31 I have been looking at look even better.
We, the unwilling, led by the unknowning, are doing the impossible for the ungrateful. We have done so much, for so long, with so little, we are now qualified to do anything with nothing. Semper Paratus!
Old 27-11-2010, 16:55   #40

Be very leary of steals on boats. More often than not when you factor in all the labor and cost of materials and parts you could of purchased a fully found verson for less an have been sailing sooner.
Old 27-11-2010, 17:28   #41

Opps, I mean WS32.

Well I have more time and skill then money.
Old 03-12-2010, 10:46   #42

I've just bought a westsail 28 and so far have motored it a few hundred miles across Florida and up the icw a piece. With an 18 horsepower yanmar I max out at 6 knots and cruise at 5 knots. I love this boat!
Old 04-12-2010, 07:07   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by virginia boy View Post
I've just bought a westsail 28 and so far have motored it a few hundred miles across Florida and up the icw a piece. With an 18 horsepower yanmar I max out at 6 knots and cruise at 5 knots. I love this boat!
Welcome into the cult
Old 05-12-2010, 21:05   #44

Virginia Boy,

Are you the one I met at Fort Myers Beach? I am Sean the TowBoatUS Captain.
Old 11-12-2010, 06:42   #45

Quote:
Virginia Boy,
Quote:

Are you the one I met at Fort Myers Beach? I am Sean the TowBoatUS Captain.

Sean, yes we met at ft Myers beach in the mooring field. I'm sorry we didn't go sailing but Leslie and I had been apart for a while and so we chose to spend the day just hanging out. Eric

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: