Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-06-2015, 14:25   #1

Boat: Passport 40
How often do people really come to visit?

My kids are college bound, one this year, one next year and a straggler three years behind. We are still in the looking phase but I am wondering if we really have to have a third cabin or if we can get away with two. The boys swear they will spend every vacation with us and help. Sounds like every pet we have gotten that I have been left to deal with....

I found a boat I really like, but it is two cabin, a settee and a dining table that converts to a queen. That makes 9 people but three in the salon.

So I want to know in general do people usually get the volume of guests that they thought when they purchased the boat?

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
brookiesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2015, 15:46   #2

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33
Re: How often do people really come to visit?

Accommodating guests was one motivation for switching to a cat. We do have a fair number of guests, but also limit the time frame during which we invite guests...don't want then aboard all the time.

But my step-kids, almost never. They are young and have their own lives to deal with...work, kids...the usual stuff. Most of our guests are old farts like us who have the time and money to go hang out on a boat for a while.

So my guess is your kids, not so often, but other people maybe.

Re # of cabins. A cruising boat needs a "garage" so a two cabin boat is really not ideal for guests. We used to cruise a 2 cabin mono and in cruising mode the second cabin was full of junk.
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2015, 16:02   #3

Boat: O'Day 40

Our experience is that even the kids don't come as often as they think they will. Life happens and they get involved in their own. Makes it unlikely you will have them living with you into their 30s or returning to the nest.
For friends, unless they are keen on sailing, the logistics of meeting at a given spot at a given time seem to discourage them.
The Pardey's advised to pick and fit the boat for yourselves and I agree.
If people do come it's not that hard to set up a temporary bed.

Good luck with your search.
Old 02-06-2015, 17:17   #4

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

We found something similar in that one's own children do not have the time or the money to visit you in far off, exotic locations. Being Yanks, they only have 2 weeks of vacation a year, and have other things they'd like to spend that time on. If you're from a country where the vacations are longer, that may be different.

We have 3 cabins. The third one is the "shed", serving a function like the abovementioned "garage", although it has been cleaned up on those rare occasions when one of our kids has come with their kids to visit. We call it "the kid cabin." The one for their parents is "the guest cabin." FWIW, I use the drawers in the guest cabin to store all the bedding for there, and the towels. That way, when I put them out, the guests can put their stuff in the now empty drawers.

Ann
Old 03-06-2015, 03:18   #5

Boat: Nauticat 32

It all depends on the other people, and their preferences, possibilities and time. Some are very hard to drag into your boat, some very easy. For me it is easy to optimise the number of visitors, but not so easy to tell who should visit us and when.
Juho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2015, 03:51   #6

Boat: 1980 Morgan 415

I have a 41' mono w/ 2 cabins. While we have had as many as 4 guests onboard, in the last year I have only had people onboard as crew during passages.

As time goes on the fwd cabin has collected an enormous amount of stuff. It has one low and one high bunk w/ a hanging locker and drawers beneath.

We spent the last 2 days removing practically everything from the boat. I have a 10' wide x 30' long section of the "T" head covered with stuff.

The draft on the boat looks to have changed 6"

My point is that wouldn't/couldn't have kept all of that gear had I not had the room.

------------------------------
Looking for another pretty place to work on the boat.
Old 03-06-2015, 03:58   #7

Boat: 58' Sedan Bridge

We eschew onboard "guests." Having fewer berths further enables that. Visitors can usually seek out a nearby hotel.

On the rare occasions we can't avoid, we do like Ann: clean out the guest stateroom pull the guest bedding out of the drawers in there...

-Chris
Old 03-06-2015, 04:23   #8
cruiser

How often guests?

Depends on the proximity of your boat to the guests. We've found that most people will not travel more than an hour to join us on a boat. So now that our boat is in Italy, and most of the people we know live in the USA, it's just the two of us 95 percent of the time.

Now there's a new dimension.... most of the USA folks say they'd like to come visit, but only if we pay their airfare.... and they're not kidding.
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2015, 05:07   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cap Erict3 View Post

My point is that wouldn't/couldn't have kept all of that gear had I not had the room.
Ha, that's even a bigger problem on a cat...all that room to stow stuff!
Old 03-06-2015, 05:14   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenomac View Post
How often guests?

Depends on the proximity of your boat to the guests. We've found that most people will not travel more than an hour to join us on a boat. So now that our boat is in Italy, and most of the people we know live in the USA, it's just the two of us 95 percent of the time.
Good point. We are in Panama and have a lot of friends here, so its relatively easy/inexpensive to get to us...thus we've had a lot of guests.

Though due to the long skinny nature of Panama getting from one end of the country to the other, like Volcan to San Blas, is a long haul.
Old 03-06-2015, 07:26   #11

Boat: Island Packet 350

One of my biggest frustrations was not having visits from kids/friends as much as I hoped because of the reasons stated above.
sailorman7225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2015, 07:43   #12

Boat: Hunter 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by brookiesailor View Post
I found a boat I really like, but it is two cabin, a settee and a dining table that converts to a queen. That makes 9 people but three in the salon.
So that would be 6 people among the remaining two cabins which = 3 people per bed? I don't recommend that, unless you are talking about consenting adults...
Rohan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2015, 07:47   #13

Boat: Hallberg Rassy 35'

90% of the time, Its just me or my girlfriend and me spending the night. On the rare occasions that someone else stays over, I can store the life raft and some other aft cabin items up to the deck. The settee is always available and comfortable.
Old 03-06-2015, 07:52   #14

Boat: Liberty 458

Rarely I suspect.

Sent from my SM-N900T using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
leftbrainstuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2015, 07:57   #15

Boat: 37C Hunter

When people visit us it isn't for any more than a week and we figure if we like them well enough to let them stay on our boat we can handle the close quarters for a week. We have a 37C Hunter with a v-berth and a couple of settees for sleeping. But that's us (no kids at all). We have company that seems to come in waves. At this point we've only had a few weeks of company so far this year and its worked out just great.

Happy sailing!

Camile
www.mountainsandseashore.blogspot.com
ObsessionSTJ is offline   Reply With Quote