Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-04-2019, 10:47   #46
cruiser

Boat: Retired from CF
Re: How Much Would You Pay For This Boat?

Yes, at this point the thread can be about helping future visitors interested in the general topic rather than your personal experience which has been evolving away from that expressed in your OP.
john61ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2019, 12:45   #47

Boat: Bruce Roberts 44 Ofshore

It is at best a free boat. I would consider taking it for free but I already have two boats that are basically projects. You would have to pay me $10k to take it. It has potential but you should keep looking. Don't pay anything for it unless you have a good free place to store it for at least a couple of years, lots of time on your hands, and a very big refit budget. You could find one of these boats in sail away condition for that price. Talking sound decks and everything except the cosmetics and creature comforts in good condition. $25k? Yeah, in absolutely Bristol condition, sure it would go that high. That one is a liability. Put $20k and 1000 hours into it and you could have a nice $10k boat there. Maybe.

Don't listen to me, though. Look at what other similar boats in the same deplorable condition have sold for, and remember that the top 10% priced wrecks were sold to idiots. You won't find many this bad to have been sold. These are usually given away, donated, or broken up for the metals.
Old 09-04-2019, 13:15   #48

Boat: C&C 27 Mk IV

Quote:
Originally Posted by CampDavid View Post
The CS 33’s selling for about 25-30k in good condition in Canada.
This is utterly misleading. A 25 - 30k CS 33 would probably be a fresh-water boat very well maintained by someone for whom money is not the first concern -- and even then, it would be hard to get near this price. The collection of rust, osmosis and rot discussed here wouldn't get a look from anyone who knows enough to stay away from "project" and "bargain" boats.
DavidWW1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2019, 14:29   #49

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 400 40 ft "Camp David

I don’t think my comment was out of line. 25 to 30 in Canada was not misleading. That is around 20,000 US. It is a given based on the comments one would back up the value for condition. Certainly somebody spending over 100 would understand exchange rates.

It was a reference point to the top dollar price for a CS33, as Canadian boat adjusted for currency normally bring a little more money.

I gave some advice based on my experience and frankly don’t think it was misleading.

Sometimes i wonder why I try to help others
CampDavid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2019, 07:41   #50

Boat: Aloha 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidWW1 View Post
This is utterly misleading. A 25 - 30k CS 33 would probably be a fresh-water boat very well maintained by someone for whom money is not the first concern -- and even then, it would be hard to get near this price. The collection of rust, osmosis and rot discussed here wouldn't get a look from anyone who knows enough to stay away from "project" and "bargain" boats.

Here's the Soldboats numbers for CS 33s sold for over $24K

(03/16) $ 33,000.00

(03/17) $ 29,250.00

(09/16) $ 27,732.00

(04/14) $ 26,233.00

(10/13) $ 26,233.00

(09/16) $ 26,233.00

(10/15) $ 25,858.00

(05/16) $ 24,734.00

(08/13) $ 24,734.00

(05/18) $ 24,734.00

(09/13) $ 24,284.00
Jules_M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2019, 14:18   #51

Just got an email from the CS33 broker. The seller said he'd take the $10K we offered. Anyone want a serious project boat?
Old 11-04-2019, 19:21   #52

Boat: Looking for my next boat!

For comparison, I'm considering 2 boats which are local to me (within a 2 hour drive). By coincidence, both are Alberg 30, both in reasonably good condition with no major issues, and ready to sail, needing mostly cosmetic work. One is $1000 usd, the other $1500 cdn. Even at these prices, they are difficult to sell.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	56770413_10219382585417975_3046262110817353728_o.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	51.5 KB
ID:	189929   Click image for larger version

Name:	$_59.JPG
Views:	70
Size:	102.4 KB
ID:	189930  

hamburking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2019, 05:45   #53

For anyone who knows they will have to do a lot of work on a boat they are considering buying, they either have to have confidence in their skills and the tools needed to do the work (and the desire to do so) or the money to pay someone else to do the work. That takes a lot of potential buyers out of the running.

With that CS33, there must have been some other potential buyers come in and walk after we walked for the owner to come back so quickly with a $3.2k drop in price. That boat needed a LOT of work. My guess is any other offers he got after us were pretty low, but more likely everyone just walked away.
Old 12-04-2019, 09:04   #54

Boat: Looking for my next boat!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jules_M View Post
For anyone who knows they will have to do a lot of work on a boat they are considering buying, they either have to have confidence in their skills and the tools needed to do the work (and the desire to do so) or the money to pay someone else to do the work. That takes a lot of potential buyers out of the running.
ABSOLUTELY AGREE!
hamburking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2019, 10:00   #55

Boat: Bruce Roberts 44 Ofshore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jules_M View Post
Just got an email from the CS33 broker. The seller said he'd take the $10K we offered. Anyone want a serious project boat?

Of COURSE he would take $10k for it. But for your $10k you can find a solid older boat the same size READY TO SAIL, with no serious or costly issues. Not ready to sail around the world, no, but definitely ready for some weekends and some coastal cruising. Expect more for your $10k because there are boats out there that will deliver a lot more for that price, under 35'. If willing to go under 30' you can possibly halve that budget, especially if you are okay with an A4 or outboard for an engine. My 27' Cal came with 10 sails and a dead Atomic, for $2k, and after buying a 6hp outboard (on sale at Cabela's, $1300) and a new outboard bracket I went sailing the next day, and lived aboard for several years. There are 70's built Catalinas, Columbias, Cals, solid, simple, basic boats, going for peanuts in better condition than that one. Keep shopping and forget about this one. You will find a great boat for a fair price out there somewhere if you are patient. Look for boats offered by owner and not by a broker, in this price range. Walk the docks, read the classifieds, check CL and ebay. Talk to people. Ask around. For under $10k there are gonna be SOME issues but not all of them all wrapped up in one boat!

Eliminate half of all problem boats just by walking aboard and looking for spongy decks, shaking the rig, and smelling. Tiller or grab rails rotten? Hatches in bad shape? Running rigging a makeshift collections of old rope, odor of diesel, mold, or sewage, the owner doesn't care and hasn't cared for a long time. If the boat looks, smells, feels pretty good, bingo. You have a possible contender. The one you are looking at would or should be instantly eliminated from consideration with just this two minute walkaround. Use your eyes, hands, nose, ear, even feet, and the thinking muscle between your ears. Don't settle for something that OBVIOUSLY will cost a lot of money to put to rights. Don't worry... even the most cherry boat will have plenty of stuff for you to fix, if you are really wanting to "mess about in boats".

Don't fall in love with ANY boat, until it is yours. Recipe for disaster, that. If you still haven't ran away from that boat, then something has got you attached to it. Boat Lust. It's a thing. Mr. Moth, meet Mr. Flame. Mr. Wallet, hasta la vista, baby. It has happend to many if not most of us here.
Old 12-04-2019, 11:19   #56
cruiser

Boat: Retired from CF

I thought it was pretty clear that that example would be poor value at a price of $0 nada teepota ZERO.
john61ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2019, 15:30   #57

Quote:
Originally Posted by john61ct View Post
I thought it was pretty clear that that example would be poor value at a price of $0 nada teepota ZERO.
I think you'd be throwing your money away

Tags
boat