Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-02-2014, 17:58   #31

Boat: Islander 32
Re: How much trouble could I get into?

The worst thing that could happen is you do absolutely nothing and learn absolutely nothing from an experience that never happened! And years later you wonder why you never did it.
Nikolina
Old 02-02-2014, 00:53   #32
Armchair Bucketeer

the answer is...............lots!

but you probably won't. but that is mostly down to you.

be kind to self with your learning curve.......and remember to have fun.
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2014, 01:51   #33

Boat: P30

Assuming my girlfriend lets me sail for a little while, the plan would be to self-survey the boat, pay with cash, and set off. At the end of the summer I'd try to turn it around for cheap, happy to take a loss in the process, or give it to my Dad who's looking for a learner boat.

I think the first problm is the resolution with the GF
The worst that can happen is your gf leaves you )

Can't speak for the Albin but i can speak for the Pearson 30.
Pearson 30 is a good boat. If you are intending to go offshore...that's a different conversation.

the faults of the Pearson 30 (in my humble opinion....I've owned one for 18 years)
cockpit drains are too small
size of the cockpit....too big
not enough of a step at the companionway. (I'd prefer it to be bigger)
Engine access is ok....but when you are in trouble...I've prefer better.

Atomic Four: This is a seriously good engine (I like it). If you know how to deal with gasoline engines you are goos to go......but by this time it it may be tired.

some folks say she is "tender" . I don't agree. She is a good sailing boat.

easy to singlehand
I can fly the chute with no help... that says something.

She's a comfortable boat as a weekender or longer.

the keel on a P30 is not going to fall off. It is fully encapsulated. If you strike a rock at hull speed....

the Rudder on the older models is suspect because of Alum rudder posts. Can't remember the years here.... This should definitely be understood.

Finally Albins and Pearsons are good boats. If your Girlfriend doesn't like either of them...get rid of her and go sailing.
Old 03-02-2014, 06:06   #34

Boat: Tayana 47

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeehag View Post
ok so buy it.
rebuild engine or replace it
check all thru hulls.
check all sails.
get the flock out of dodge. the rest is fixable under way
yes there are parts and sailmakers and such out here.......omg there is food also....rodl.... have fun.
oh yeah,..make sure your potential hull has solid stringers and nothing looking like an eggshell, cracked from falling..like humpty dumpty shell......might wanna buy spare chain plates and tangs and cables for redoing rig at some point....
The guy is only talking about going sailing for the summer and then getting rid of it, and he's only got $7000 to spend. I really don't think that's the sort of plan that includes taking the time or money to rebuild/replace the engine and replace the standing rigging. There are plenty of boats out there with perfectly functional standing rigging and engines, at least adequate for one summers cruise.

To the OP, I think your plan sounds great. You should be able to find a suitable boat for those $$$ if you don't try to go too big. You sound like you know enough about boats so you will check the obvious stuff that could put a quick end to a very fun summer or drain your budget so I agree that it's probably not worth it to spend money on a survey. Possibly just liability insurance, though I don't know what for since you haven't yet had the chance to accumulate any assets that need protecting. Hope you have a blast!
jtsailjt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2014, 09:15   #35

Boat: Catalina 310

In an earlier post I mentioned the marine salvage yard next to the Fore River Bridge. I went by there yesterday and they still have a Contest 30 out front for sail. I looked at this last year because I love the look of the boat. The deck seemed to have a few wet spots near stanchions but otherwise was in great shape. IIRC, the engine ran and the boat had sails. They wanted $5K for it last year. I almost bought it as a project boat to restore for a friend but decided I didn't have time for the project. I bet you could get it for $4K with storage until the spring and the spring launch and mast stepping included.
Old 03-02-2014, 09:30   #36

Boat: Formerly Pearson 28-1, now just a sailing dinghy

Thanks everyone for your responses! Those suggesting that I want to get a boat that just near-enough works have definitely got it right. If I have to do anything more than quick, minor fiberglass repairs or engine maintenance items, I'll either live with the problem or look for a different boat. The point for me is to go cruising, in whatever fashion, as soon as possible for not a lot of money. I don't want to invest a lot of money into a project boat as I'd be selling it at the end of the year and not recouping much, if any, of the investment. I'm leaning more towards an outboard-capable boat now for those reasons. A wet boat in the summer is not a deal-breaker for me considering some of the other places I've slept. If the boat becomes disposable at the end of the cruise, hauled for lead salvage, that's sad, but many, many boats meet a far worse fate as sunken derelicts on inland waterways.

And thanks to everyone for posting boat ideas and links! I won't be ready to buy for another couple of months, but they re-affirm my belief that this is pretty easily doable

Thanks again for directing me to the marine salvage yard Jesse. I'll check that out one of these upcoming weekends. Thanks again all!
brownoarsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2014, 09:32   #37

Boat: 1969 Columbia28, 1984/2016 Horstman TriStar36

Young man, you will be fine. You have asked for advice and gotten plenty. Nevermind naysayers.we got a boat 10yrs on the hard in ct last May. Launched in July in Portland ct. Had great fun and made great friends in the process. Had some challenges too. And some naysayers and discouragement. But we were mentored and encouraged by most. There were bets on the yard as to when a for sale sign would appear on the boat, lol. We stayed the course. All in all, we are now in nc, having been onboard since july and learned much and experienced plenty.
I'm 63 and wife 50. I went from galveston to ct kicking and scratchin', as I had boats before, wood, alumiminim, glass and worked in Wisconsin steel boat yards. I knew the work involved.
Now I'm revitalized, lost 50 pounds and bp is down!
I would recommend checking with yards that are not necessarily upscale, and find out what boats are available for payment of overdue fees. The economy crapped and left a lot of boat owners with no choice but to abandon in the yards. And yes ownerscwill give boats away to see there baby cared for.
Please pm me. I would like to talk to relay some info if you are interested. If not , thats cool too, lol.
Btw, the atomic four is a reliable unit, and the universal diesel( kubota) has the same footprint.
Ours is a 69 and going strong!
thruska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2014, 10:05   #38

Boat: Sabre Sloop, 28'

Agreed! Go with it. We went the same path, walked aboard, looked her over pretty well and were ready to assume the worst. The worst didn't happen and the old Volvo is still chugging along 4 years later. Leaks? yep, ... a couple I've net been able to chase down yet. Sails are old but you know what, the little boat pulls well in 20 kts. The rigging is old, but it does what it's supposed to and we don't play games with big weather. Our little Sabre has been a great amount of fun coupled with the learning curve that is inherent in the older boats (wiring, plumbing, painting, etc.). Insurance is cheap and now that we have to step off her and let her go we are not out a ton of money. Real glad we went with our impulse.
CapsLock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2014, 10:41   #39
Marine Service Provider

Boat: 1984 Catalina 22, 2005 Carolina Skiff 24, 1989 BW Outrage 19, BW SS 15

Great advice already given! Wish I had done what you are planning before I got on the working treadmill.

Both of the fellows below bought a Triton 28 as a starter boat, both eventually went on to start their own businesses in yacht restoration. One circumnavigated twice in his Triton 28. It is a great boat for one or two people. The Tartan 30 for sale on this site also looks like a good deal and is a well respected boat.

Their blogs are a goldmine of information about the Triton, reading the blogs should prepare you well to self inspect a boat. The Voyages of the Atom inspired me to switch from power to sail and to retire early.

Tritons are easy to find, very basic, and sometimes can be found with a diesel in your price range. If the diesel dies, someone will read James Baldwin's blog on how to install an outboard in the lazarette and want to buy it. Make sure the boat doesn't leak by spending a day or two in the boat when it is raining. If the deck is soft (many are) it will leak and it will be hard to resell. Having your stuff damp all summer wouldn't be fun. Make sure the standing rigging is less than ten years old.

PM me if you want an extensive surveying list to use.

Compared to paying rent all summer in Boston you may come out ahead!

Pearson Triton #680: Home
Atom Voyages - The Sailboat Atom
Azul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2014, 11:08   #40

Boat: 1969 Columbia28, 1984/2016 Horstman TriStar36

If you need a universal diesel 3 cyl, I know of one with little use in portland ct for cheap. But you would likely need to remove it from the old grampian yourself. Just saying.
thruska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2014, 11:31   #41

Boat: EndeavourCat 36

I'd definitely check out Nirvana. She's been at my marina for years. Orange topsides (not to my taste), propane tanks in the cockpit right near the companionway. In other words, probably doesn't show well, so perfect for someone looking for a bargain!

Also, keep an eye on the Mass Maritime Academy boat site.

http://www.maritime.edu/apps/boats/

They have auctions in the spring and fall and also sell boats on eBay.

Another option:

Maritime Funding Association of Maine & Block Island Maritime Funding - Home

They are kind of a consolidator of boat donations for non-profits. I considered donating my Pearson 27 to them, but I don't make enough $$ for the donation to be worth anything to me.

(Go Bruno!)
Cuttyhunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2014, 11:35   #42
Armchair Bucketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by brownoarsman View Post

I won't be ready to buy for another couple of months, but they re-affirm my belief that this is pretty easily doable
spend the time between now and then wisely - by that I mean not only by educating self via internet (boat market, likely fixes and costs for) but also in real world with boots on the ground in the intended locale for purchase / use. The whole world is not on the internet!, and that especially applies to low value items like unloved boats. Both internet and real world also useful for making contacts for when the time comes.
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2014, 11:49   #43

Boat: Currently boatless

Quote:
Originally Posted by brownoarsman View Post
...A wet boat in the summer is not a deal-breaker for me considering some of the other places I've slept...
I agree, but my point was that given your objectives, you will get a lot more information doing the self-survey with the boat in the water and exposed to the elements than if it is on the hard, nicely covered up. A leak here or there is definitely not a show stopper, but a steady drip over your berth could make your time at anchor less than pleasant when it's raining. As you know very well, a few days of steady rain are not unheard of in New England and you're sure to get some over a 3 months summer cruise. You will probably find many boats in your price range that appear suitable, so you might as well try to pick the one that will make your adventure more pleasant.
Old 05-02-2014, 12:16   #44

Boat: 1975 Pearson 35

if you buy a boat in the midcoast area of Maine in the spring it will most likely be on the hard anyway, no need to haul it, most yards are already paid to splach. I don't know about other areas.
Juniper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2014, 13:05   #45
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

"What's the worst that could happen..."

Aw, come on guys! That's an invitation for sea stories and "One night, at band camp..." tales to be told around a fireplace in a good pub, if I've ever heard one.

First the boat can sucker you in, it needs nothing. Wait, it needs this hundred dollar part. Wait, it needs this $300 part. Ooops, broke that, needs the $500 mechanic call. Wait, he says it needs a $2500 overhaul. Oh, and that bulkhead shifted a little, not to worry, it only will cost a grand to replace. Wait a minute, why is the deck dripping? Ooops, needs recoring, but you've got so much into the boat already...

IF you don't know the perils of surveying, the boat can suck you in, suck you dry, and spit out the chewed bones while you try to pay for hazmat disposal.

Or, it can sink in a channel, leaving you to pay the salvage and clearance costs (and the State will often chose someone fast, not cheap) plus the environmental fees to contain and remove your fuel and oils and wash all the ducks and polish all the lobster traps. After you've put in all that extra work AND lost the vacation time.

I'm not saying it will, just that the questions begs for a tale-telling competition. Oh, and even worse? While you're fixing the boat, your girlfriend could fall in love with the tow boat driver and run away with him. Or her.

See? Just when you thought it couldn't get any worse? (VBG)

Now, someone please, fetch another coupla' pints and tell me what else could go wronger!

(Anyone follow the sea adventures in the Non Sequitor cartoon strip?)
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote