Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-06-2015, 21:32   #16

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop
Re: How much handicap is 50' Monohull 2 Mtr Draft, in GBR Fraser Island to Whitsunda

I finally "get" the OP's question, I think. It is hard for us to answer, because, like I said, we only go where there's enough depth, so that for instance, there's a hurricane hole in the Whitsundays that we can't get into nearly as far as the cats: Gulnare Inlet. Wouldn't be there that time of year, but we sort of have already crossed it off our list of possibles.

For the OP, if you have Open CPN, have it draw a line at the 2 meter depth and look at your favorite places to go. See how far out someone like us would have to be. Then you'd maybe have a better frame of reference for your decision.

There's a little cove in Hervey Bay, full of stingrays into which we see shallower draft boats go, that we do not, except by dinghy. We just don't think we're missing much, but your mileage might vary considerably. I personally do not like confined places, for one, and places like Gary's Anchorage have far too many sandflies for me. So I'm not drawn to the kind of places the cats seem to enjoy.

No idea if this kind of thinking drives "most" monohullers or not.

So, for us, the decision was made long ago, when we didn't buy the cat we were looking at... But for you, maybe keeping the shallow anchorages option open would work better. We don't feel hampered by our draft, but I can imagine someone used to shallower draft might not like it, even though it is not a problem for Jim and me.

Ann
Old 18-06-2015, 22:43   #17

Boat: Dufour Gib Sea 51
Re: How much handicap is 50' Monohull 2 Mtr Draft, in GBR Fraser Island to Whitsunda

Hi Helia 44, Maybe you should buy a second boat to do your Wednesday twilighting in?
I have an Adams Cruising 10 which is perfect for the job. It has the creature comforts of a reliable inboard, excellent fridge and electric head. Quick and with a big cockpit for bringing a few friends along. Draft is 1.75m and I bought her in Townsville and sailed her to Sydney quite happily with a couple of mates although we did go around the outside as the northerlies were just too good to miss.
Cheers
Drew
PS Hi to Ann & Jim
Drewncrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2015, 00:07   #18

Boat: Island Packet 40

I sail a mono, draw 1.7m and make the run Tin Can Bay to Cairns pretty well every year to get away from cold weather in the south and cyclones in the north.

I cannot recall many places where an extra 300mm of draft would have made much difference to my plans or anchorages except maybe waiting for a little longer for tides to pass up the GSS or pass over the Narrows.

I have sat in on a number of multihullers conversations where the subjects covered boat speed and shallow drafts but most of the multihulls which go by my heavy old steely dawdler appear to be running an engine (if you do it properly it's predominately downhill work where their blistering reaching speed does not do them much good)

Also, after they have all gone past me and I get to the anchorage I generally find that in spite of their minimal draft they are anchored well off the beach in the middle of the deep water and I pretty well end up anchored well off shore anyway.

Just go ahead and do it, you'll be right mate.
RaymondR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-11-2015, 22:25   #19

Boat: Catana 50
Great Sandy Straits in a monohull

We are on our way south to Brisbane from Mackay in 18 knots of wind from N, ETA Bunderburg Sunday 15th Nov. As the forecast is for strong SE on Monday and Tuesday we would like to go through the Great Sandy Straits if we can rather than outside Fraser Island. We will call Tin Can Bay CG regarding the bar on the way out south.

Trouble is that we draw 2.7m. We plan to take the flood tide up and go through the shallows an hour before high water. High Water at Boonlye Point is 3.1m on Tuesday, the day we pan to transit. We know its tight - any suggestions?
Old 13-11-2015, 22:46   #20

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs

Yachtjuno,

Go slow!

And watch that turn to stbd about a mile before Tooth Island (stay close and on the correct side of the marks). That and the little dogleg about 2.5nm further south would be the two main problem spots with your draft.
StuM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-11-2015, 23:27   #21

Boat: SAnta Cruz 27

We cruised that section of the Queensland coast with a 2.5 meter draft boat for 4 seasons and did not feel like we missed much. We had to keep a good eye on the tide and there we a few places we skipped, but there were plenty of places to go and plenty of places to anchor.
donradcliffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-11-2015, 01:12   #22

Boat: Currently Shopping, & Heavily in LUST!

To the OP, on the question of draft. - Having a Monohull needn't be a compromise.
If you can afford a cat that's as Gucci as you say, then you can pick up, or have built, the mono of your choice pretty much. To include... one with a Lifting Keel, or a Swing Keel.

There are Plenty of great designs out there, which are scorchingly fast, have great interior space, & draw what your cat does, with the keel up. So the biggest losses are; heeling vs. not, deck space, short leg passage speed.

If you need tips on makes, models, or designers (aside from Google), drop me a note. As I can't help but to drool over some of the boats in said class available nowadays. - Heck, they even make lifting keel, cruising oriented, Open 40's, if you are desirous of such.

As an example, I just got this one in my inbox. I might redo the styling a touch, but this is the newest offering by RM Yachts http://www.rm-yachts.com/fichierUploader/RM1270-QR.jpg
Marc Lombard draws some fast boats... with 1 AND 2 hulls. And likely could be convinced to re-style a good number of them for the right $. http://marclombard.com/

Or this pretty "little" number, from Angelo Lavranos, "Beluga". Which draws about 1m with the keel fully up, & can be also be sailed with it set @ half depth, IIRC http://www.lavranosyachtdesign.co.nz/py_beluga.htm

The Uncommon Thing, The Hard Thing, The Important Thing (in Life): Making Promises to Yourself, And Keeping Them.
UNCIVILIZED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-2015, 15:01   #23

Boat: 2015 Fountaine Pajot SABA 50
Re: Great Sandy Straits in a monohull

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yachtjuno View Post
We are on our way south to Brisbane from Mackay in 18 knots of wind from N, ETA Bunderburg Sunday 15th Nov. As the forecast is for strong SE on Monday and Tuesday we would like to go through the Great Sandy Straits if we can rather than outside Fraser Island. We will call Tin Can Bay CG regarding the bar on the way out south.

Trouble is that we draw 2.7m. We plan to take the flood tide up and go through the shallows an hour before high water. High Water at Boonlye Point is 3.1m on Tuesday, the day we pan to transit. We know its tight - any suggestions?
Having just transited there.... There is also a major shallow area just south of White Cliffs, mid Fraser.... It would be tough.. In a nutshell I would advise against it. Leave before dawn, do the outside run.

If I had your boat, I would anchor on the north western side end of Fraser, and go around the outside of Fraser with that draft. Because of the shallows, it would take at least two days to do the shallow bits of the inside run. Further, I do not like that sickening lurch of going aground in between swells.
I just would not do it...

BTW, after a few months in the Whitsundays and outer islands on the east coast of Australia, I have abandoned all ideas about a mono hull. Upwind in light air, I have decided I am happy to turn on an iron jib and make sort of 80-90 NM days in daylight hours. I added a second tank, and can now pump over, now carry 940 litres with twin Volvo 55's... Huge range in comfort, and catching massive fish as one engine speed is the perfect trolling speed in this area at about 7 knots... For pictures go to the Multihull Section, Builders, Fountaine Pajot, and click on IMPROVEMENTS IN THE HELIA 44... I have a lot of pictures on the treasures of beach combing, and some of the fish. The records for the year include a 8'8 1/2" Sailfish, and a 6' Black Marlin. Another 50 fish like 3-4' Kingfish, Queenfish, Spanish Mackeral, Giant Trevali, and many more. I have decided that to heck with beating to weather, I am happy to have a single motor on of my Helia 44 Cat, and do 7 knots trolling.

Kind regards to all, Helia 44 AVALON in Australia
Helia 44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-2015, 20:33   #24

Boat: Island Packet 40

I draw 1.7m and can sometimes make it over the shallow spots at low tides during neaps. Since we have fairly big tides at the moment I tend to the opinion that you would not have a problem passing over the two shallow spots which are at the red, west-most bouy at Sheridan Flats and almost at the S33 towards the bottom of Stewart Island. Navionics shows these spots as least depth 1.5m at chart datum and from my multitude of experiences of running aground there at low tides I would agree with their perception of least depth.

Since the tides are about 3.0m at the moment you should clear by 1.5 + 3.0 = 4.5 total depth, 4.5 - 2.7 = 1.8m clearance at high tide.

Go for it mate.
RaymondR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-2015, 22:56   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helia 44 View Post
Having just transited there.... There is also a major shallow area just south of White Cliffs, mid Fraser.... It would be tough.. In a nutshell I would advise against it. Leave before dawn, do the outside run.

If I had your boat, I would anchor on the north western side end of Fraser, and go around the outside of Fraser with that draft. Because of the shallows, it would take at least two days to do the shallow bits of the inside run. Further, I do not like that sickening lurch of going aground in between swells.
I just would not do it...
I'm baffled! Where's the shallow bit in the Sandy Straits where you would encounter swells???

And the really shallow bits are only a couple of miles apart - why would it take 2 days???

Note - the channel through the GSS NEVER dries out. And even neap high tides are around 3 metres. So most of the time you're looking at 3 metres plus of water. Usually quite a bit more.

Anyway, it's certainly do-able with 2.7 metres draught. Just needs to be done at high tide.

Re the OP - plenty of deep keelers successfully cruise from Brisbane to Cairns, and further. Some anchorages are not available to them, due to their draught.

Many of them are favourites of ours, some are very good all weather anchorages, where the nearby deep anchorages can be extremely uncomfortable or untenable at times.

Some examples - Hill inlet, The lagoon on Middle Percy, Corio Bay, Leakes creek on GKI, Wathumba creek, Coongul creek and moon point lagoon on Fraser island, an anchorage inside Crab island in Moreton bay, the lagoon near Jumpinpin... just a few off the top of my head.

Other anchorages might be available, but you're an awful long way out - like in the SE corner of Cape Bowling green, or anchored off Scarness, for a couple of examples.

So in short - like the GSS, it's do-able with deep draught, just not quite as enjoyable.

BTW we've managed to sail South every year, only times we've needed to motor have been due to innacurate weather forecasts and insufficient wind.

John McEnroe
44'cruisingcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-2015, 23:23   #26

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helia 44 View Post
it would take at least two days to do the shallow bits of the inside run.
The "shallow bits" are about 10 miles in the middle of the GSS at most, with about 20 miles of reasonable deep channels at either end of that.

Why would you need two days?
Old 15-11-2015, 23:35   #27

Some spots deep keelers have to miss out on:

John McEnroe
Old 16-11-2015, 03:04   #28

Boat: 2015 Fountaine Pajot SABA 50

A couple of you are misleading this poor fellow.... It is not 1.7 M draft, he has said 2.7 M

And yes, by the time he gets through the shallow bit south of White Cliffs at high tide behind Fraser, he is MANY HOURS yet to get to the shallows of Wide Bay Bar. THAT is the sickening lurch between swells. THAT is why I said it could-should take two days. 2.7 M draft??? High tides for both, yes, two days...

Having transited it many times this year now, I still say 2.7 Meter draft? Take the outside Fraser route IMO..

Kind regards, Helia 44, sitting snug in Mooloolaba
Helia 44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-2015, 03:21   #29

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Guess we'll find out tomorrow

And the weather is certainly not looking good for going round the outside tomorrow
Old 16-11-2015, 14:26   #30

I guess you're answering your own question, Helia. If you wouldn't take a 2.7 metre draught boat through the sandy straits, you're not going to enjoy cruising on a deep keeler.

John McEnroe

Tags
draft, hull, monohull