Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-05-2017, 11:56   #1

Boat: shopping
How limiting is draft?

I have been eye balling a beautiful sailboat for a short time. it is really everything I would like in a sailboat, save a 6'6" draft. I hope to be keeping it on the Chesapeake bay and sailing mostly the east coast and the Bahamas/ Virgin islands, for the first few years. How limiting will the draft be? I understand I will be anchoring or mooring out farther. How limiting is this for destinations primarily for the Bay, secondarily for the islands?

icedog11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2017, 12:13   #2

Boat: Tayana 55
Re: how limiting is draft.

We have sailed all those areas with a 7ft 9in draft and the only place it was severely limiting was the Bahamas. Never a problem in the Caribbean and anchoring further out gets you further from the noise.

If you plan to go off-shore you will appreciate the stability from the draft.

"Remember, experience only means that you screw-up less often."
s/v Moondancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2017, 12:24   #3

Boat: Currently Shopping, & Heavily in LUST!

It'll be an issue, yes. As to how much, that depends on where you want to go. So do yourself a favor & buy a cruising guide for the Chesapeake, & one for some of the Bahamas, etc. And then check the charted depths for a lot of the areas to visit there; popular, and off the beaten path. You'll also find info on activecaptain.com & via any of the free navigation programs & charts.

There a couple of members here on CF who live on the Chesapeake. Thinwater, on a PDQ catamaran, & Suijin on a Valiant 40'. And they're both real straightforward kind of guys.

The Uncommon Thing, The Hard Thing, The Important Thing (in Life): Making Promises to Yourself, And Keeping Them.
UNCIVILIZED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2017, 12:32   #4

Boat: Seawind 1160 Lite

We sail primarily on the Chesapeake (out of the South River). Sailing on the bay, just accept that it is a matter of when not if you will run aground. I've literally gone from 18' to 2' of water in about a boat-length. As long as you don't try to go too far up into the many rivers/streams, 6'6" should be okay. You'll have to be mindful of tides and plan some trips accordingly. Make sure you have good towing coverage and you'll be fine. The nice thing about the Chesapeake is that it is for the most part soft bottom so you probably won't damage much more than your pride if (when) you do run aground.

Having recently gone from a mono that drew 5' to a cat that draws just over 3', I am looking forward to a little less drama in some of the skinnier waters around here.
indimini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2017, 12:43   #5

Boat: 1974 Bristol 27

In the Bay, you'll be forced to pretty much use the mainstream Marinas.

You won't be able to sail up many of the creeks and enjoy some very nice anchorages. My draft is 4' and I have sailed in passed where the channel markers have ended. This can get interesting.

I'm on the very Southern end by the Atlantic though where we have plenty of deep water but exploring up the bay the creeks on the West Side get shallow quickly and on the Eastern Side down this way there's only Kiptopeke or Onancock Creek.

Onancock Creek though is 8' all the way in (about 5 miles) and you can anchor within about 200' of the wharf.
thomm225 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2017, 13:06   #6

Boat: Custom Steel 43 ft

6'6" is going severely limit your cruising opportunities in the Chesapeake, the ICW, Florida and the Bahamas.

I would not want to cruise those areas on a boat with more than 5'5" draft.
svseachange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2017, 13:18   #7
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Modified Choate 40

I believe Florida would be the biggest challenge for deep draft. I have 7' draft but I'm on the West coast so no problem except in SF Bay, there are parts you have to watch for.

Unprepared boaters, end up as floatsum!.......
delmarrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2017, 14:14   #8

Boat: Bruce Bingham Andromeda 48

We have a 6.5' draft and there are plenty of places to go on the east coast including the Chesapeake carrying that much draft. Since we do need to watch the depth a bit closer, I'll say we've gone aground less than when we were more caviler in our earlier days with a shallow draft boat and we took more chances.

With the deeper draft, we may anchor out a little further, but this helps avoid bugs and usually a good breeze as compared to when we were gunkholing in smaller boats.

I'll agree with a previous post, the deep draft keel is nicer offshore. The biggest limitation is in the Bahamas, but it isn't that bad with proper prior planning.

Cheers.
Bill O.
Bill O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2017, 14:36   #9
Writing Full-Time Since 2014

Boat: PDQ Altair, 32/34

I like shallow draft--it is rare that I anchor in more than 6', so 6'6" would change my style. But as strongly as I feel about it, if I really liked a 6'6" boat, I would simply make sure it had an RIB on davits; there are longer dingy rides in your future. But that's OK.

For example, I sail out of Deale, MD. I head straight out of the creek, where at 6'6", you will need to take a 2-mile detour to the south around Long Bar. Some of it is only 4' at low tide.

There will be a few times when you need to watch the tide. Even some popular areas have bars that will require respect.
thinwater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2017, 18:53   #10

Location: Cayuga Lake NY - or on the boat somewhere south of there
Boat: Caliber 40

I wouldnt want to go to the Bahamas in a boat with that deep a keel. In the VI or almost anywhere else in the Caribe it isnt an issue. If you sail much in Chesapeake Bay just get the unlimited towboat insurance and go have fun. If you dont have insurance towboats are truly shockingly expensive. You will run aground but it will be mud. Lots of places to go so just avoid the shallower ones and watch the tides.
sck5 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2017, 08:03   #11
Marine Service Provider

Boat: '87 Irwin 43

6'6" draft will not be a problem anywhere - (except in water 6'5" or shallower). If you love this boat don't let the draft bother you (embrace it - it's a sailboat!); you will be fine anywhere (except < 6'6"deep water)....unless you're a devote gunkholer.
malyea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2017, 08:12   #12
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 367 cutter, 36'

I just came back from the Bahamas (Abacos), and I have a 5'6" draft. If you use Explorer Charts, and plan your trips with tide in mind, you can go most places, though as others have said, you'll anchor out more. But that saves money, and avoids the stress of docking in wind....;-) With an RIB on davits, I think you'd be fine in the Bahamas - my son and I went from Memory Rock to Green Turtle Cay on the recommended routes on Explorer Charts and never saw less than 4.5 feet under the keel - for you, depending on tides, that would be 3.5'.
AJ_n_Audrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2017, 08:17   #13

Boat: Outbound 46 -Callisto

We sailed up and down the Chesapeake with our 6'6" draft, and never had a problem. The one time we went aground, a 3' draft would have been too much.

In the Caribbean, it is NEVER an issue, I think an 8' or 9' draft would be completely workable. Usually the problem is hoping you have enough anchor rode to get a 5:1 scope.
DMCantor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2017, 10:10   #14

Boat: 1988 Wilbur 34

The ICW
Seighlor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2017, 10:13   #15

Boat: 1988 Wilbur 34

The ICW through the Carolinas may be problematic. No problem in Georgia and Florida waterways. Going down through the Florida Keys, the gulf side would not be an option. However, no problem at all on the Atlantic side. As mentioned, there should be no problem in the Caribbean and little problem in the Bahamas so long as you plan ahead and pay attention.

Seighlor is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
draft