Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-03-2015, 10:20   #61

Boat: Formerly Pearson 28-1, now just a sailing dinghy
Re: How important is bottom paint?

Thanks fst! That video was great and I definitely appreciate your advice! The PO was planning a haul in October to paint, which was conveniently when I was going to haul anyway! I'll pressure scrub and then soft clean on a frequent schedule. Thanks again!

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
brownoarsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2015, 13:10   #62

Quote:
Originally Posted by onestepcsy37 View Post
Been using Trinidad since the late 70's and have always got 4+ years between paint jobs - this in Florida/Bahamas. And yet every once in awhile I hear/read of people who have bad experiences with it. Not sure why they do but I have no reason to doubt them....
Yeah, I had it professionally put on in Florida at the recommendation of those locally. less than 3 months later in the DR the boat had sat for a few weeks. The bottom looked like a reef. All that soft stuff shown in the pic above (Monte-post 40) would have been very clean compared with this. Big Barnacles everywhere. Some at least 3/8" diameter. Had to scrape them off in big patches. I would say 50% barnacles coverage on the bottom.

For comparison, I put the Dutch made "submarine" paint on in Trini. Cruised some locally, returned the boat to FL (about a 2 month trip), the boat sat for sale for 1.5 years in backwater unmoved. When survey time came I hired a diver to scrape the bottom. He came up after 5 mins and said "there's really nothing to do... nothing at all on here"

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2015, 14:15   #63

If it is out of the water now, scuff the bottom and paint it, I can paint my boat in less than a day, prep and paint. Why wouldn't you stop any growth before it starts. 1000 miles that it's a two week trip have you sailed before? Do you plan on sailing straight through, stopping every night, what direction north or south east or west, prevailing wind has a great impact on how's long, paint it, it's dry now paint it.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
sonofasonofasailer456 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2015, 14:36   #64

Boat: csy 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheechako View Post
For comparison, I put the Dutch made "submarine" paint on in Trini. Cruised some locally, returned the boat to FL (about a 2 month trip), the boat sat for sale for 1.5 years in backwater unmoved. When survey time came I hired a diver to scrape the bottom. He came up after 5 mins and said "there's really nothing to do... nothing at all on here"
I'm not certain of this, but l've "heard" that paints are available outside the USA which contain chemicals that are banned here. Might be one of those...
onestepcsy37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2015, 14:56   #65

Quote:
I'm not certain of this, but l've "heard" that paints are available outside the USA which contain chemicals that are banned here. Might be one of those...
"ya think?"

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2015, 15:11   #66

Boat: Liberty 458

Bottom paint is there to protect the hull. It ain't there because it's pretty.

If it's been on the hard for 8 years it will probably be next to useless.

It not only protects against growth and critters it also protects the below the water from exposure to light. If your hull has epoxy below the waterline then it needs to be covered.

Sent from my SM-N900T using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
leftbrainstuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2015, 16:01   #67

Boat: Sunbeam, 37, Ziamar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheechako View Post
"ya think?"
I'm considering having the bottom cleaned, sanded, barrier coated, and painted this year, likely in Trini. Any idea about the formulation of the "submarine" paint?? If it's Dutch, maybe I should pick some up in Sint Maartin on the way down?

But I do think I'd like to be as environmentally conscious as reasonable.

Bill
Old 06-03-2015, 16:16   #68
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Dutch are pretty "green" aren't they? I doubt if they would have "tin" paint?

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2015, 16:57   #69
Hull Diver

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Under a boat, in a marina, in the San Francisco Bay

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
Dutch are pretty "green" aren't they? I doubt if they would have "tin" paint?
They don't. There are only a few seafaring nations that do not abide by the international tributyl tin ban and none of them are in Europe.
fstbttms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2015, 18:19   #70
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Tributyl tin is the only wicked stuff, right? I don't think copper is as bad as it's sometimes made out to be, but the tin, I think there is proof about it poisoning the environment.
Is there another type of banned bottom paint? Wasn't arsenic used at some point?

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2015, 18:33   #71
Hull Diver

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
Tributyl tin is the only wicked stuff, right? I don't think copper is as bad as it's sometimes made out to be, but the tin, I think there is proof about it poisoning the environment.
Is there another type of banned bottom paint? Wasn't arsenic used at some point?
And lead etc., etc. They go down the list of heavy metals until each one is banned. Copper is the current target, to be replaced by zinc.
Old 06-03-2015, 18:59   #72

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Camper & Nicholson58 Ketch - ROXY Traverse City, Michigan No.668283

Quote:
Originally Posted by Training Wheels View Post
If it's on the hard, why wouldn't you paint it now?

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
8 years on the hard may have degraded the anti-fouling to where it sheets off. That wouldn't bother me too much. The more important thing is that the bottom may be in need of barrier coat (Interprotect 2000E). Getting the old stuff off including any old barrier & re-coat is better done on a dry hull. If you can strip or soda-blast to the gel coat you will be able to better inspect for and repair gel pops & blisters and then barrier coat & anti-foul. If your destination includes haul anyway and significant time on the hard it probably doesn't matter.
Nicholson58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2015, 20:02   #73

Boat: csy 37

What nicholson58 says. If you're thinking of barrier coating the hull, this might be a good time. Its been out of the water for 8 years so the hull may be as dry as it will ever get.

As for tin based bottom paint, my understanding is that it is still available in the USA, but it's application is limited to large yachts and it must be applied by authorized yards. Anyone know the validity of this?
onestepcsy37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2015, 04:50   #74
Hull Diver

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
As for tin based bottom paint, my understanding is that it is still available in the USA, but it's application is limited to large yachts and it must be applied by authorized yards. Anyone know the validity of this?
You are misinformed. Tributyl tin paints are not available in the U.S. for use on any vessels.
Old 07-03-2015, 05:07   #75

Boat: Sunbeam, 37, Ziamar

I have an acquaintance, here in Puerto Rico, who just painted his bottom with US Navy paint. He claims to have gotten in from the, now closed, Roosevelt Roads Navy base when they were closing it. (I'm not sure how relevant that is??)

I still wonder what the "Dutch Submarine" paint is and whether it is a viable option. Can it be painted over one of the "normal" barrier coats. I think it's time to take mine down to the gelcoat and go from there.

Bill

Tags
bottom paint, import, paint