Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-03-2015, 04:30   #31

Boat: Formerly Pearson 28-1, now just a sailing dinghy
Re: How important is bottom paint?

Since we're on the subject; I had a devil of a time googling bottom paint cleaning how-tos. Everything that came up was about pressure washing bow riders.
So I do just what the former owner did: scrape prop and shaft, scrape waterline and stem where there is an extra coat, and then cotton glove the rest.
Now that the waterline is scraped, I will cotton glove it more frequently instead of scraping per fstbttm's suggestion.
One question though: how clean is clean? Should the bottom be one uniform paint color at the end? I've been reining in my OCD and not going whole hog out of fear of cleaning away all the paint, and as a result some of the stuff that didn't come off easily after two passes is still there; it's a blackish growth that is flat, but well stuck. It will come off with some pressure, but I've been hesitant.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
brownoarsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2015, 05:00   #32
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: How important is bottom paint?

Quote:
Originally Posted by brownoarsman View Post
Since we're on the subject; I had a devil of a time googling bottom paint cleaning how-tos. Everything that came up was about pressure washing bow riders.
So I do just what the former owner did: scrape prop and shaft, scrape waterline and stem where there is an extra coat, and then cotton glove the rest.
Now that the waterline is scraped, I will cotton glove it more frequently instead of scraping per fstbttm's suggestion.
One question though: how clean is clean? Should the bottom be one uniform paint color at the end? I've been reining in my OCD and not going whole hog out of fear of cleaning away all the paint, and as a result some of the stuff that didn't come off easily after two passes is still there; it's a blackish growth that is flat, but well stuck. It will come off with some pressure, but I've been hesitant.

Depends on what type of bottom paint you use.. hard or wash off..
Either way.. the best way to keep it clean is to sail the buga...

It was a dark and stormy night and the captain of the ship said.. "Hey Jim, spin us a yarn." and the yarn began like this.. "It was a dark and stormy night.."
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2015, 05:05   #33

Boat: Formerly Pearson 28-1, now just a sailing dinghy

I have ablative. Seems much easier upkeep than what I've heard about the hard stuff.

brownoarsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2015, 06:10   #34

Boat: Camano Troll

Quote:
I have ablative. Seems much easier upkeep than what I've heard about the hard stuff.

Based on my research and the recommendation of my (at that time) diver and the marina manager, I chose Pettit Trinidad SR Antifouling Bottom Paint. It's a hard paint. I have a diver come on a regular basis and this paint has lasted several years for me at this point. My boat is in a heavy fouling area.

But: This paint will lose its effectiveness if the boat is taken out of the water for more than 72 hours (it's written on the can) so it's quite possible to have paint that looks great but no longer works as designed.

The choice between hard and ablative is based more on how you use the boat and how often and fast it goes than personal preference. You're supposed to use the right tool for the job.
Old 06-03-2015, 06:28   #35
Hull Diver

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Under a boat, in a marina, in the San Francisco Bay

Quote:
One question though: how clean is clean? Should the bottom be one uniform paint color at the end? I've been reining in my OCD and not going whole hog out of fear of cleaning away all the paint, and as a result some of the stuff that didn't come off easily after two passes is still there; it's a blackish growth that is flat, but well stuck.
The black growth is actually algae that has penetrated the surface of the paint. This typically occurs when the paint is losing effectiveness and is not being cleaned frequently enough. There comes a point when you have to make a decision about how aggressively you want to clean the bottom versus how much paint you're willing to remove. The "black algae" requires aggressive scrubbing, as you know. So either you're willing to live with it and not have a truly clean bottom or you're willing to scrub it out of the paint now and hopefully clean the bottom on a frequency that prevents algaic penetration from reoccurring.

fstbttms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2015, 06:30   #36

Quote:

I also use ablative. Some seasons are OK and no real growth by Sept others I have to start scraping in July. I guess depends on th epaint quality, the water temps and how often I sail.

Also as to the various brand name paints vs. store brands I think Practical Sailor recently had a good article/review on those. As I suspected (and was confirmed by various disinterested marine pros) most brand name companies make the same paint for WM, just as Coke bottles store brand stuff at its plants (I know because I visited local Coke plant on some industry promotion back when it opened in the 80s and was surprised to see supermarket brand pellets of soda stocked up ceilng high). So you're not getting twice as good paint when paying twice as much for a brand name. May be marginally better at most.
Island Time O25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2015, 06:50   #37
Hull Diver

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Island Time O25 View Post
So you're not getting twice as good paint when paying twice as much for a brand name. May be marginally better at most.
Not necessarily. Most manufacturers are not rebranding their top-of-the-line products to sell under a West Marine label. Pettit Trinidad and Interlux Micron 66 to name a few.
Old 06-03-2015, 06:55   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by fstbttms View Post
Not necessarily. Most manufacturers are not rebranding their top-of-the-line products to sell under a West Marine label. Pettit Trinidad and Interlux Micron 66 to name a few.
That may be true. But for people with 5-6 month long seasons a mid-level store brand paint may be all they need. In FL I would reconsider this approach.
Island Time O25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2015, 06:59   #39

Boat: Camano Troll

Quote:
Originally Posted by Island Time O25 View Post
That may be true. But for people with 5-6 month long seasons a mid-level store brand paint may be all they need. In FL I would reconsider this approach.
The hauling, preparation and labor costs are the same for cheap paint and top of the line paint. If quality paint lasts twice as long it's probably the least expensive option in the long run.
Old 06-03-2015, 07:11   #40
Eternal Member

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Lagoon 400

Quote:
Originally Posted by fstbttms View Post
A scraper is never an appropriate tool for cleaning anti fouling paint in good condition. If one is required it is because the paint is not being cleaned frequently enough or it is not an effective paint for the conditions in which it is being used.

Our bottom was in good condition, but two weeks in the st maartin lagoon soon changed that. I think I'll gently flick off the shells and then to the usual cleaning with a cloth.
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByCruisers Sailing Forum1425654616.637608.jpg
Views:	205
Size:	29.5 KB
ID:	98393Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByCruisers Sailing Forum1425654631.471408.jpg
Views:	189
Size:	39.1 KB
ID:	98394Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByCruisers Sailing Forum1425654644.254526.jpg
Views:	201
Size:	23.4 KB
ID:	98395Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByCruisers Sailing Forum1425654656.289480.jpg
Views:	219
Size:	34.2 KB
ID:	98396
monte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2015, 07:24   #41
Hull Diver

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by monte View Post
Our bottom was in good condition, but two weeks in the st maartin lagoon soon changed that.
I suspect that you and I have a different definition of "good condition."
Old 06-03-2015, 07:30   #42

Boat: Grand Banks 50

fstbttms, is that a suction cup you dive with to hold on to the hull as you work?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	sc.jpg
Views:	181
Size:	138.1 KB
ID:	98398  
Xlantic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2015, 07:37   #43
Hull Diver

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xlantic View Post
fstbttms, is that a suction cup you dive with to hold on to the hull as you work?
Yes.

Old 06-03-2015, 07:38   #44
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

You asked him and not me, but it sure looks like a toilet plunger to me.
Let see what he says
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2015, 07:38   #45

Boat: Grand Banks 50

Great idea! I am going to use one next time i clean my flotation line.
Xlantic is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bottom paint, import, paint