Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-03-2015, 18:11   #91

Boat: Camano Troll
Re: How important is bottom paint?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ex-Calif View Post
Note that I said "These Days) - the question was rhetorical.

We beat the hell out of boaters regarding sewage dumping yet we still "allow" municipalities to keep their pipes hooked up to rivers.
It doesn't have to be pipes connected to rivers. If a pipe breaks or a pond overflows, the sewage goes downhill until it meets a stream or river. The military base upstream of my marina has spilled sewage into the river twice since I've lived here.

But accidentally spilling sewage into the river and intentionally putting something on the bottom of your boat that hurts the environment are two different things. Nature will take care of the sewage in a few days or weeks. Some chemical compounds stay around for years. I'm all for finding a middle ground.
Old 07-03-2015, 19:56   #92

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ex-Calif View Post
Note that I said "These Days) - the question was rhetorical.

We beat the hell out of boaters regarding sewage dumping yet we still "allow" municipalities to keep their pipes hooked up to rivers.
Same with fishing limits. One decent size trawler on an average run will probably fish out more fish than all of the country's fishermen combined keep in a year. Yet the gov't gets up in arms if your seabass is 1/2 inch too short. But most of the time doesn't really do anything about the foreign trawlers prowling in US waters.
Island Time O25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2015, 20:38   #93
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Now boatless :-(

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwidman View Post
It doesn't have to be pipes connected to rivers. If a pipe breaks or a pond overflows, the sewage goes downhill until it meets a stream or river. The military base upstream of my marina has spilled sewage into the river twice since I've lived here.
An accident. Sure. Now who gets fined and who cleans it up? Oh,wait. It's the government - we pay...

Can't I be held criminally liable if I spill oil or sewerage off my boat? One turd from me vs. "couple hundred thousand" gallons? Why ain't the dude running the plant doing a perp walk in front of his 8 y/o on his way to jail?

Everyone today just has excuses for bad behavior. No one seems to be accountable.

Sorry - back to bottom paint.
Ex-Calif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2015, 05:32   #94

Boat: Leopard 40 (new model)

Quote:

But accidentally spilling sewage into the river and intentionally putting something on the bottom of your boat that hurts the environment are two different things.
[rant on]
Those who really study environmental engineering and toxicology know there is one more factor that drives impact: use.

If you paint your bottom with TBT and put it in a marina where water does not circulate (say completely artificial marina like Marina del Rey) the TBT will accumulate and generate horrible consequences such as transexual little animals, etc.

If, on the other hand, you paint your bottom with TBT (say Islands 44 with Ton Boost) and set off in a circumnavigation in which the stops are in places where water actually moves (ie anchorage with 0.5-1kt current) you will very likely not contribute to any concentration that produces measurable damage. You will not even need to touch your bottom, hence saving YOU from toxicity. Most importantly, your clean bottom will last longer (saving environmental impacts through the supply chain) and your boat will sail faster. If you go to the Galápagos there is no risk that your bottom will carry little critters that will make a mess with the local echosystem.

Compare this to the reality I saw there last year, when all the boats coming to the Galápagos with echo-friendly bottom paint had accumulated so much growth in the trip from Panama that they "had to" hire someone to illegally scrub their bottom at the arrival port before the bottom inspector came in..

But in the real world those who know about stuff and the consequences of policy alternatives do not call the shots. You will see copper paint banned in the US when most copper comes into the water from copper sulphate used elsewhere by municipalities, which keeps going. So you ban copper paint because someone else dumps copper sulphate.

I could go on with the silly european REACH approach that would ban water and table salt if they were allowed to apply to those things the same rules they apply to some great environmentally-friendly chemicals such as boric acid and borax.
[rant off]
svlamorocha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2015, 06:42   #95

Quote:
Originally Posted by svlamorocha View Post
..........If you paint your bottom with TBT and put it in a marina where water does not circulate (say completely artificial marina like Marina del Rey) the TBT will accumulate and generate horrible consequences such as transexual little animals, etc.

If, on the other hand, you paint your bottom with TBT (say Islands 44 with Ton Boost) and set off in a circumnavigation in which the stops are in places where water actually moves (ie anchorage with 0.5-1kt current) you will very likely not contribute to any concentration that produces measurable damage. ................
There's nothing untrue about your statement but you can't really pass a law that says Harry can use TBT because his boat keeps moving while Bill can't because he keeps his in a marina.

What bothers me is when they give commercial or military vessels the right to use a better paint and restrict the recreational vessels to inferior products.
Old 08-03-2015, 07:35   #96
Hull Diver

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Under a boat, in a marina, in the San Francisco Bay

Quote:
...they give commercial or military vessels the right to use a better paint and restrict the recreational vessels to inferior products.
This is a misconception. Commercial vessels (at least in this country) are not allowed to use anything you are not. And while the U.S. Navy is exempt from any anti fouling regulation, they too use the exact same anti fouling paints you do.

And this notion that there is some magic anti fouling paint out there that only the privileged few get to use? It doesn't exist. There's copper and there's tin, baby, and nobody gets to use tin.
fstbttms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2015, 07:41   #97

Quote:
Originally Posted by fstbttms View Post
This is a misconception. Commercial vessels (at least in this country) are not allowed to use anything you are not. And while the U.S. Navy is exempt from any anti fouling regulation, they too use the exact same anti fouling paints you do.

And this notion that there is some magic anti fouling paint out there that only the privileged few get to use? It doesn't exist. There's copper and there's tin, baby, and nobody gets to use tin.
I believe the Washington State ban of copper applies only to recreational boats. I know it's not in place yet but that's what I read. I could be wrong.
Old 08-03-2015, 07:45   #98
Hull Diver

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
I believe the Washington State ban of copper applies only to recreational boats. I know it's not in place yet but that's what I read. I could be wrong.
You are right and I stand corrected on that point.
Old 08-03-2015, 08:49   #99

Boat: 46' custom cat "Rum Doxy", Roughwater 41"Abreojos"

Quote:
Originally Posted by fstbttms View Post

TBT is not diffucult to find in Asia, where it is usually available in boatyards as an additive if you ask. I tried some once but did not really notice an improvement over the TBT-frree Jotun Seaforce 90 that I had used before. Maybe this is why the USN doesn't bother with it.

www.sailblogs.com/member/rumdoxy

Come to the dark side. We have donuts.
mikereed100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2015, 08:56   #100

Boat: Leopard 40 (new model)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikereed100 View Post
TBT is not diffucult to find in Asia, where it is usually available in boatyards as an additive if you ask. I tried some once but did not really notice an improvement over the TBT-frree Jotun Seaforce 90 that I had used before. Maybe this is why the USN doesn't bother with it.
There is more to good TBT antifouling than just throwing some TBT in it.

If legal for your boat try "Islands 44" antifouling that already comes with TBT and add the additional Tin Boost from teh same manufacturer to it and you will see a difference. Works wonderful in the Caribbean!
svlamorocha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2015, 08:58   #101

Boat: 2001 Hunter 460

If we connect Bob's butt to the pipe will it paint my boat bottom?

Sent from my SM-G900T using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
tucamonday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2015, 09:28   #102
Hull Diver

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
TBT is not diffucult to find in Asia...
Yes, I think we all understand that TbT is still in use in various unenlightened places around the world. My remarks however, were specific to the U.S.

Quote:
...where it is usually available in boatyards as an additive if you ask.
No paint manufacturer will warrantee their non-tin product if you add TbT to it. This I guarantee.

Quote:
I tried some once but did not really notice an improvement over the TBT-free Jotun Seaforce 90 that I had used before. Maybe this is why the USN doesn't bother with it.
The U.S. Navy doesn't use TbT paints because:

1.- Theses paints are extremely damaging to the environment, and believe it or not, the U.S. Navy is at the forefront of developing clean and green anti fouling technology, even though they are not required to be.

2.- While the Navy could use TbT paints if they wanted to, it would be a public relations nightmare in this country if they did.

3.- Most seafaring nations do not allow TbT paints in their territorial waters and the U.S. Navy has business to do in these places.
Old 08-03-2015, 12:39   #103

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Camper & Nicholson58 Ketch - ROXY Traverse City, Michigan No.668283

[QUOTE=fstbttms;1766889]The black growth is actually algae that has penetrated the surface of the paint. This typically occurs when the paint is losing effectiveness and is not being cleaned frequently enough. There comes a point when you have to make a decision about how aggressively you want to clean the bottom versus how much paint you're willing to remove. The "black algae" requires aggressive scrubbing, as you know. So either you're willing to live with it and not have a truly clean bottom or you're willing to scrub it out of the paint now and hopefully clean the bottom on a frequency that prevents algaic penetration from reoccurring.

Thanks for the great instructional videos. A few questions:

Why two shaft zincs?

Was there no anti-foul on the prop or shaft?

My prop is the original stuff from 1984. Great shape Hundested variable pitch. There is only a shaft zinc. No strut zinc and no prop zinc. It was coated with hard anti-foul when we got the boat 6 years ago. My observation on zincs here (Great Lakes) is why bother. We all have them but they last 15 to 20 years. There is also a massive zinc plate on the hull which is bonded to the entire inside of the boat with copper sheet. We are headed for salt water soon so I have stocked up on new & spare zincs.

Presently, we are in the Great Lakes. Nothing hard grows here, only algae slime. The nylon brush you used is standard issue in various forms. I have also used a large scotch bright sheet on a floor tool (think floor varnish applicator). Is the Scotch Bright appropriate for salt water?

Are you using a Brownie or other Hookah type system?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	PA180008.jpg
Views:	175
Size:	392.7 KB
ID:	98508   Click image for larger version

Name:	14.jpg
Views:	118
Size:	391.4 KB
ID:	98509  

Nicholson58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2015, 13:09   #104
Hull Diver

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicholson58 View Post
Thanks for the great instructional videos.
Thanks for watching.

Quote:
A few questions:

Why two shaft zincs?
Very common arrangement. Sometimes a necessary one.

Quote:
Was there no anti-foul on the prop or shaft?
No. Most boats (I would guesstimate well over 90%) do not do this.

Quote:
My observation on zincs here (Great Lakes) is why bother. We all have them but they last 15 to 20 years.
Any anode that lasts that long is not doing its job. Further, only magnesium anodes should be used in freshwater. Zinc anodes do not have the electrical potential to overcome the greater resistance inherent in freshwater (or so I am led to believe.)

Quote:
Is the Scotch Bright appropriate for salt water?
Yes. I only ever use Scotchbrite Doodlebug pads.

Quote:
Are you using a Brownie or other Hookah type system?
I use a hookah that I built myself. Based on the Thomas 1207PK80 compressor, as are many of the best commercially available hookahs.

Old 08-03-2015, 13:17   #105

Boat: Outremer 50
Send a message via Skype™ to Dave852

Quote:
Originally Posted by tucamonday View Post
I am getting a better idea, logistics and unknown prices play a part but it does have an old anti foul job on it so I can go either way. .. thanks for the advice from everyone

Sent from my SM-G900T using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app

Post #72 and #73 are worth heeding. Whether you apply bottom paint now or later is not important. But if the boat needs a barrier coat then you would be loosing 8 years of dry time by splashing it.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Dave852 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bottom paint, import, paint