Cruisers Forum
 


Join CruisersForum Today

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-03-2015, 19:52   #16
Registered User
 
Sailorman Ed's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2010
Boat: Polynesia 40/42
Posts: 685
Images: 15
Send a message via Skype™ to Sailorman Ed
Re: How important is bottom paint?

Tucamonday - half of the cost of painting the bottom is already solved by being on the hard. Even if you only put on 1 coat of the cheap bottom paint, will be worthwhile for you. Jobs that are put off for a short while turn to be put off for a long while. Put one coat on now!!
__________________

__________________
Sailorman Ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2015, 20:13   #17
Registered User

Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Ft. Pierce, FL
Boat: 2001 Hunter 460
Posts: 30
Re: How important is bottom paint?

I think I have what I need on this subject... Thanks for all the help.
__________________

__________________
tucamonday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2015, 20:38   #18
Senior Cruiser
 
44'cruisingcat's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 7,453
Images: 69
Re: How important is bottom paint?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheechako View Post
Having said that... I'm not convinced bottom paint does a lot. I've had to spend most of a day scraping a reef off the bottom with recent Trinidad bottom paint.... in the carribean...
Really? We once left our dinghy in the water for only two weeks and had barnacles growing on it. And we were using it every day.

We go two years between antifouls..
__________________
44'cruisingcat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2015, 21:06   #19
Marine Service Provider
 
fstbttms's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Under a boat, in a marina, in the San Francisco Bay
Posts: 3,592
Re: How important is bottom paint?

Quote:
Originally Posted by tucamonday View Post
I think I have what I need on this subject... Thanks for all the help.
You've received advice in this thread that is good, bad and ugly. Which are you going to take?
__________________
fstbttms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2015, 22:00   #20
Eternal Member
 
monte's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Australia
Boat: Lagoon 400
Posts: 3,650
Images: 1
Re: How important is bottom paint?

Btw fast bottoms. A couple of weeks in st maartin lagoon really fouled our anti foul. Lots of little shellfish stuck to it. Usually I just use a rag to wipe the slime off but it's beyond that now. I was scraping the props clean with a paint scraper and tried it on the hulls and it seemed to scrape off the critters without removing the anti foul. Is this ok to give it a light scrape all over with a 4" paint scraper? The water is much less cloudy than if I use a rag. The paint is EU international ablative. I used the scraper in a forward motion at about 30 degrees angle to the hull to flick off the critters...
__________________
monte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2015, 22:08   #21
Registered User
 
jkindredpdx's Avatar

Join Date: May 2011
Location: Portland, OR, USA
Boat: Hallberg Rassy 35'
Posts: 1,047
Images: 5
Re: How important is bottom paint?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Walsh View Post
A thousand miles is not a short trip
Especially if you're going to sale the hole way...
__________________
http://www.sednahr35.blogspot.com/ Jim K.
jkindredpdx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2015, 23:42   #22
Marine Service Provider
 
fstbttms's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Under a boat, in a marina, in the San Francisco Bay
Posts: 3,592
Re: How important is bottom paint?

Quote:
Originally Posted by monte View Post
Btw fast bottoms. A couple of weeks in st maartin lagoon really fouled our anti foul. Lots of little shellfish stuck to it. Usually I just use a rag to wipe the slime off but it's beyond that now. I was scraping the props clean with a paint scraper and tried it on the hulls and it seemed to scrape off the critters without removing the anti foul. Is this ok to give it a light scrape all over with a 4" paint scraper? The water is much less cloudy than if I use a rag. The paint is EU international ablative. I used the scraper in a forward motion at about 30 degrees angle to the hull to flick off the critters...
A scraper is never an appropriate tool for cleaning anti fouling paint in good condition. If one is required it is because the paint is not being cleaned frequently enough or it is not an effective paint for the conditions in which it is being used.
__________________
fstbttms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2015, 00:11   #23
cruiser

Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Sarasota fl
Boat: Choey Lee 30
Posts: 235
Re: How important is bottom paint?

Quote:
Originally Posted by fstbttms View Post
A scraper is never an appropriate tool for cleaning anti fouling paint in good condition. If one is required it is because the paint is not being cleaned frequently enough or it is not an effective paint for the conditions in which it is being used.
most bottom scrapers are scared of a little build up ,that's the problem most I met a lazy aholes. now I dive my own and cant see what all the fuss was about its kinda fun. plus I get to use my new dive gear.aslo heard the fish scare them.Also going to start working local here in Tampa Sarasota its not like I have any competition lol
__________________
gah964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2015, 00:22   #24
Marine Service Provider
 
fstbttms's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Under a boat, in a marina, in the San Francisco Bay
Posts: 3,592
Re: How important is bottom paint?

Quote:
Originally Posted by gah964 View Post
most bottom scrapers are scared of a little build up ,that's the problem most I met a lazy aholes. now I dive my own and cant see what all the fuss was about its kinda fun. plus I get to use my new dive gear.aslo heard the fish scare them.Also going to start working local here in Tampa Sarasota its not like I have any competition lol
With an attitude like that, don't be surprised when the "lazy aholes" who will be your competition tear down your business cards and bad mouth you to boat owners and harbor staff at every opportunity.

Yeah, I'm sure you'll be a big success.
__________________
fstbttms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2015, 00:42   #25
Moderator
 
JPA Cate's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: aboard, cruising in Australia
Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop
Posts: 10,666
Re: How important is bottom paint?

However, guys, if the boat in question is a timber boat, he really must anti-foul it to protect it from the dreaded teredo worms.

A.
__________________
Ann, with Jim, aboard US s/v Insatiable II, in Oz, very long term cruisers
JPA Cate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2015, 00:43   #26
cruiser

Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Sarasota fl
Boat: Choey Lee 30
Posts: 235
Re: How important is bottom paint?

Quote:
Originally Posted by fstbttms View Post
With an attitude like that, don't be surprised when the "lazy aholes" who will be your competition tear down your business cards and bad mouth you to boat owners and harbor staff at every opportunity.

Yeah, I'm sure you'll be a big success.
I have about 5 friends in the mooring im not lazy or hungry lol
__________________
gah964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2015, 00:49   #27
cruiser

Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Sarasota fl
Boat: Choey Lee 30
Posts: 235
Re: How important is bottom paint?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ann T. Cate View Post
However, guys, if the boat in question is a timber boat, he really must anti-foul it to protect it from the dreaded teredo worms.

A.
depends where his boat is.
__________________
gah964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2015, 01:35   #28
Registered User

Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 36
Re: How important is bottom paint?

I don't believe in anti-foul. Every few weeks, I find a nice sandy beach and drive it right up onto shore.

It seems to work really well, but it's hell on the rudder.
__________________
Seasiq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2015, 02:12   #29
Moderator Emeritus
 
Ex-Calif's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: May 2007
Location: Singapore
Boat: Maxi 77 - Relax Lah!
Posts: 11,514
Images: 4
Re: How important is bottom paint?

Quote:
Originally Posted by fstbttms View Post
You've received advice in this thread that is good, bad and ugly. Which are you going to take?
Which is which?

Oh - And posters "always" take the advice that concurs with -

a) Whatever they wanted to do in the first place
b) Whatever is easiest
c) Whatever is cheapest

Not necessarily in that order.
__________________
Relax Lah! is For Sale <--- Click
Click--> Custom CF Google Search or CF Rules
You're gonna need a bigger boat... - Martin Brody
Ex-Calif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2015, 02:38   #30
Registered User
 
Island Time O25's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2014
Posts: 2,019
Re: How important is bottom paint?

When at night I hear fish munching on my barnicles I know it's time to dive and scrape. I found a really big difference in bottom paint quality as far as keeping the growth off. And strangely enough the difference did not correlate to the price of the paint. The cheapest one which I picked up on c-list for $50/gal (originally I think it was $100-120/gal) was the best one, lasting 2 full seasons (May to Nov). Also, I noticed differences from year to year probably due to different water temperatures overall and how it affects the growth of the critters.
__________________

__________________
Island Time O25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
bottom paint, import, paint

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
To Bottom Paint, or Not to Bottom Paint (or Just a Touch-Up) OrangeCrush Monohull Sailboats 40 28-03-2016 05:56
Superhydrophobic Paint Video - Bottom Paint Application ? sdowney717 Construction, Maintenance & Refit 11 15-03-2014 10:20
Bottom Paint For Textured Bottom chas5131 Construction, Maintenance & Refit 2 29-08-2012 01:07
Bottom Paint and Prop Paint DougM Construction, Maintenance & Refit 4 30-01-2012 18:13



Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 04:07.


Google+
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Social Knowledge Networks
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

ShowCase vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.