Cruisers Forum
 


Join CruisersForum Today

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-10-2010, 15:17   #1
Guest
 
otherthan's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 843
Images: 3
How Do You Make Your Cockpit 'Comfy' ?

just wondering how you guys make your bare bone cockpit comfortable.

I will add cusions but what I really would like to know is how to do a back rest.
last week I was at the theatre and above me a nice 3in brass railing that run thruout the theatre. my gilfriend was whatching the show but all I cauld do was picture this railing aronde my cockpit nicely fitted right under my arm pits so that I can lean and rest against it. I cauld also make it run higher and built a canvas tent to shade from the sun a little?
my fist idea was a simple well placed wood plank.

ps. dont ask about the show (dont have a clue)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	boat 051.jpg
Views:	138
Size:	429.5 KB
ID:	20498  
__________________

__________________
otherthan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2010, 18:09   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: between the devil and the deep blue sea
Boat: a sailing boat
Posts: 17,314
Start with the cushions then find where your fave steering position will be, then improvise for the spot - you can also raise the coaming - it is pretty low on your boat.

If planning to sail offshore for anything more than a daysail, I would add some sort of canvas around the cockpit and a sprayhood too.

b.
__________________

__________________
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2010, 18:24   #3
Guest
 
otherthan's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 843
Images: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by barnakiel View Post
Start with the cushions then find where your fave steering position will be, then improvise for the spot - you can also raise the coaming - it is pretty low on your boat.

If planning to sail offshore for anything more than a daysail, I would add some sort of canvas around the cockpit and a sprayhood too.

b.
the wheel is to be remouved in favor of a tiller, favorit sitting position (dang) will only know next year.
have not sailed her yet but Asia (mollucan sea) is the plan for the next decade.
__________________
otherthan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2010, 18:33   #4
Registered User

Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: florida
Posts: 153
besides 1" thick cushions I put a set of bean bag chairs to longe around on .And I can throw em down in the berth too. good for reading and reclining
__________________
chadlaroche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2010, 18:37   #5
Senior Cruiser
 
Sailmonkey's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Houston
Boat: '76 Allied Seawind II, 32'
Posts: 5,781
+ 1 on the beanbag chairs. they make watches great....the huge plus is that you can have your seating surface on any slant you want so you can be really comfortable no matter your angle of heel.
__________________
Sailmonkey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2010, 18:37   #6
Registered User
 
Stillraining's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Puget Sound
Boat: Irwin 41 CC Ketch
Posts: 2,876
Install one of these in the cockpit...no not the dog silly!

But seriously...probably the dumbest thing about cockpits is straight sided back rests...if you really want to be comfy modify them to slope at a less then kidney killing angel and height....I see you have very low combings to begin with so you have an open canvas to start with....just be aware of cockpit drains volume and all that jazz.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	My Sweety=1.jpg
Views:	130
Size:	27.6 KB
ID:	20503  
__________________
"Go simple, go large!".

Relationships are everything to me...everything else in life is just a tool to enhance them.
Stillraining is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2010, 18:51   #7
Guest
 
otherthan's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 843
Images: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stillraining View Post
Install one of these in the cockpit...no not the dog silly!

But seriously...probably the dumbest thing about cockpits is straight sided back rests...if you really want to be comfy modify them to slope at a less then kidney killing angel and height....I see you have very low combings to begin with so you have an open canvas to start with....just be aware of cockpit drains volume and all that jazz.

a 2in drain will be in place of wheele post, to lazy to patch the hole
I understand what your saying, however its hard to calculate angle without sailing the boat, the bean seat will be my first step.
__________________
otherthan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2010, 18:52   #8
Senior Cruiser
 
rebel heart's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 6,190
Images: 3
We run this setup, and it works for us.

Two of these. We position them on the cockpit, and they work well for using on land on the beach or whatever. Often it's nice to have some seats you can use. Good back rests for sitting facing forward. Amazon.com: Crazy Creek Original Chair: Patio, Lawn & Garden: Reviews, Prices & more

Two of these. They are expensive as hell, but they're fenders so they're tough as nails. We use them for kneeling pads for working, lash one to the boom when anchored to keep from smashing our heads into the wood, and they make excellent back rests. We have two that are maybe 20" by 30" and cost ~$40 a piece:

Amazon.com: Taylor Made Products Modular Flat Boat Fender (36" x 12" x 3"): Sports & Outdoors

Two of these. These don't last that long (maybe a year under normal use) but they're good to have in the cockpit anyway as a safety feature, and they make good seats. Basically we either sit one of these with a fender as a backrest, or the camp chair things:

Amazon.com: Life Jacket / PFD: Type IV Throwable Cushion: Sports & Outdoors: Reviews, Prices & more



What we like about our setup is that we can clear the cockpit quickly, move stuff under the dodger to get it out of the rain, and adjust everything to however we're sailing. Our cockpit is teak so it's not quite as uncomfortable as fiberglass but only barely. Full sized cushions in the cockpit were always a nuisance to me and got underfoot, filthy, and skidded around everywhere.

Plus you need knee pads for working on the boat anyway (the fenders), type IV throwables for safety, and chairs for beach/land use. So in classic boat form our "cockpit cushions" serve multiple purposes.
__________________
rebel heart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2010, 19:00   #9
Registered User
 
Stillraining's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Puget Sound
Boat: Irwin 41 CC Ketch
Posts: 2,876
Quote:
Originally Posted by jobi View Post
a 2in drain will be in place of wheele post, to lazy to patch the hole
I understand what your saying, however its hard to calculate angle without sailing the boat, the bean seat will be my first step.
Not really...sit in your boat place both feet on the edge of the bench on the opposite side and lean back a bit...this will be your sailing position with a tiller 90% of the time.

Personally I don't see the bean bag working all that well at a heal ( not that Iv tried it) ...unless its somehow attached to the bench itself...every time you stood up...there on the sole it goes and under foot...I don't sail with cushions at all unless its a very mild breeze....they just get wet and increase chances of tripping when jumping in and out of the cockpit anyway.
__________________
"Go simple, go large!".

Relationships are everything to me...everything else in life is just a tool to enhance them.
Stillraining is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2010, 19:08   #10
Registered User
 
Capt Phil's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Stateline NV
Boat: Prior boats: Transpac 49; DeFever 54
Posts: 2,749
I've found that a bottle of Pusser's, limes and soda make any cockpit as cozy as can be... cheers, Capt Phil
__________________
Capt Phil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2010, 19:31   #11
Guest
 
otherthan's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 843
Images: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by rebel heart View Post
We run this setup, and it works for us.

Two of these. We position them on the cockpit, and they work well for using on land on the beach or whatever. Often it's nice to have some seats you can use. Good back rests for sitting facing forward. Amazon.com: Crazy Creek Original Chair: Patio, Lawn & Garden: Reviews, Prices & more

Two of these. They are expensive as hell, but they're fenders so they're tough as nails. We use them for kneeling pads for working, lash one to the boom when anchored to keep from smashing our heads into the wood, and they make excellent back rests. We have two that are maybe 20" by 30" and cost ~$40 a piece:

Amazon.com: Taylor Made Products Modular Flat Boat Fender (36" x 12" x 3"): Sports & Outdoors

Two of these. These don't last that long (maybe a year under normal use) but they're good to have in the cockpit anyway as a safety feature, and they make good seats. Basically we either sit one of these with a fender as a backrest, or the camp chair things:

Amazon.com: Life Jacket / PFD: Type IV Throwable Cushion: Sports & Outdoors: Reviews, Prices & more



What we like about our setup is that we can clear the cockpit quickly, move stuff under the dodger to get it out of the rain, and adjust everything to however we're sailing. Our cockpit is teak so it's not quite as uncomfortable as fiberglass but only barely. Full sized cushions in the cockpit were always a nuisance to me and got underfoot, filthy, and skidded around everywhere.

Plus you need knee pads for working on the boat anyway (the fenders), type IV throwables for safety, and chairs for beach/land use. So in classic boat form our "cockpit cushions" serve multiple purposes.
all look practical to me!!!
I agree full size cushions maybe fine for docking but not for cruising
__________________
otherthan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2010, 19:34   #12
Guest
 
otherthan's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 843
Images: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt Phil View Post
I've found that a bottle of Pusser's, limes and soda make any cockpit as cozy as can be... cheers, Capt Phil
I actualy use them filled with hot water for back pain or to warm my feets at night.
__________________
otherthan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2010, 19:57   #13
Senior Cruiser
 
delmarrey's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Now in Blaine, WA
Boat: Modified Choate 40
Posts: 10,702
Images: 122
I built a stand up cockpit w/removable seats. One thing I hated was having to bend over a seat to crank a winch. Now I'm right there at the winch and if/when I want to sit I can pull out the seat(s) and set'm up.

I really don't like laying down in the cockpit so I don't need the long seats. But if I do, two seats together with a brace between the steps works OK.

When I'm sailing heeled over I can sit on on side and brace my feet on the other. After tacking I switch the seat to the other side or have one on each side already. I do occasionally put a cushion behind me of it's a long run.

Not everyone would like my setup but it is great for my bad back. "To each his own"

.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN3005.JPG
Views:	123
Size:	66.2 KB
ID:	20505   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN3006.JPG
Views:	134
Size:	65.3 KB
ID:	20506  

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN2965.JPG
Views:	125
Size:	72.5 KB
ID:	20507  
__________________
Faithful are the Wounds of a Friend, but the Kisses of the Enemy are Deceitful! ........
A nation of sheep breeds a government of wolves!

Unprepared boaters, end up as floatsum!.......
delmarrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2010, 20:06   #14
Registered User
 
Unicorn Dreams's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Clear Lake Marine Services - Seabrook, Texas
Boat: Gulfstar, Mark II Ketch, 43'
Posts: 2,359
Bimini
Cushions
Table
Candles
SUNDOWNERS. in real GLASSES. not the plastic crap
__________________
Formerly Santana
The winds blow true,The skies stay blue,
Everyday is a good day for SAILING!!!!
Unicorn Dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2010, 20:30   #15
cat herder, extreme blacksheep
 
zeehag's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: furycame alley , tropics, mexico for now
Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41
Posts: 17,772
Images: 56
Send a message via Yahoo to zeehag Send a message via Skype™ to zeehag
s sofa across the transom... with a nice foam backrest..
__________________

zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Center Cockpit vs Aft Cockpit MaDouleur Monohull Sailboats 48 12-08-2017 06:56
Going to Make it Happen ! CaptainNoah Meets & Greets 2 19-04-2010 12:25
Center cockpit vrs aft cockpit Panamajames Monohull Sailboats 54 24-03-2009 16:00
Make a living breakaway Boat Ownership & Making a Living 7 08-12-2007 15:25
did you make it? beau Multihull Sailboats 1 13-03-2007 17:37



Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 10:09.


Google+
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Social Knowledge Networks
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

ShowCase vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.